collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling Situation - Scenario 2  (Read 1955 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Calling Situation - Scenario 2
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »
Tale of the tape: Day 4 of your 10 day hunt in (insert state here); archery season; 10 September 2013; 8:25 AM; bull only area/tag; the cows are 32 yards from the shooter (yellow down arrow) and the bull, probably close to 40 yards from the shooter. Both the caller and shooter possess an unpunched tag, and, both can call (make appropriate elk noises when needed as the situation dictates). Thermals are flowing from right to left, downhill, pretty much from the caller towards the shooter.

You and your partner had set up on this tiny meadow 20 minutes ago to do a cold calling set up. After a series of herd talk (cow/calf calls) with some brush raking thrown in, two cows come out of timbered draw into the small meadow. They came from the direction of the blowdown you see right above and to the left of the bull's butt. Both the caller and shooter saw the cows enter the meadow and start to feed. The shooter sees the bull's antlers coming down the trail through the blowdown a few minutes after the cows enter the meadow but the caller is unaware of bullwinkles approach. During the entire event, none of the elk make a peep. Right before the bull enters the meadow (8:25 AM), the caller decides to let out a scream in case a bull is in the area. As the bull enters the meadow, and, the caller let's out a bull scream, all eyes and attention of the elk go directly towards the caller. The bull starts moving behind the cow (from the shooters point of view) towards the caller who is about 40 yards in the direction of the yellow arrow pointing to the right.

I know, lots going on. What are your options at this point in time to get one of your team a shot at that bull?

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Calling Situation - Scenario 2
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
What the shooter could do is draw back and let out a popping grunt.  What he probably would do is start shaking, arrow pops off the rest making a clanking sound, break a stick, wet himself, scare all the elk and then blame his caller.  :twocents:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I've read the scenario over twice, and unless I'm missing something, I as the shooter kill this bull with via the double lung shot. :dunno:  To me this is no brainer.  Two un-notched tags....... calling/working together........thermals about to give the caller away..........bull of a lifetime.........THWACK :twocents:

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »
As I get older, I would like to believe that I am getting smarter.  Phantom once again has something up his sleeve, but I don't see it.  I love these shooting scenarios, but I have been caught out before by some key hint, which I don't see right now.  I am sure there is a lesson to be learned, and I will wait for others to enlighten me. 

But one thing that I am sure of is this: The caller doesn't know the bull is present---and he almost blew the animals out with his last call.  The bull is starting to move towards the caller, but the cows might also move that way.  When they don't find what they want, there will be a quick dispersal.  And, the shooter is stuck where he is (cannot move to the right, because the cows will see him.  The wind will soon show the caller's scent.  It seems to me the shooter should take a chance on the bull, if he thinks he can get away with a 40-yard shot, with traffic.  Or, hunker down and hope the caller sees the elk before he is busted.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
It's not that easy guys.  You don't think I'd type all this for a slam dunk, right off the bat, stationary shot do you  ;)

"As the bull enters the meadow, and, the caller let's out a bull scream, all eyes and attention of the elk go directly towards the caller. The bull starts moving behind the cow (from the shooters point of view) towards the caller who is about 40 yards in the direction of the yellow arrow pointing to the right."  He's moving as he enters the small meadow and continues to move towards the caller.  Not very fast, but he's moving. 

Now, what's your game plan to make the best of this situation?     
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
If he's moving behind the cow on the right, then draw immediately if you already haven't.  Make any elk noise at all once he clears the cow for a clear shot.  All the elk will freeze for a split second, and that's all you need for a shot.  If two steps will give him the callers wind, then you're screwed and should have shot him before this point because he will take those 2 steps, get the wind and bolt instantly leaving you hoping you have at least got the video rolling because nobody will believe how you had a bull that big in the wide open at full draw and didn't have a shot.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »
What he probably would do is start shaking, arrow pops off the rest making a clanking sound, break a stick, wet himself, scare all the elk and then blame his caller.  :twocents:

:chuckle:

I'd probably do what Tbar said.  In theory, I'd come to full draw and give a few cow chirps.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
Okay, so he's "moving" when in the picture it looks as if he's standing. :chuckle:  Well then, I'm at full draw waiting for a cow to clear if she hasn't already.  Once there is a lane, a chirp from my diaphragm and my arrow is en route. If the thermals were different, I'd allow them to investigate closer to my partner and possibly take their attention off him if need be.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »
Draw and shoot as soon as I have an opening.

If I don't think he will stop on his own I will cow call to stop him.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
I was kind of fishing to see how many folks would say the caller/shooter need to be in tune with each other and know when to switch caller/shooter roles, and, react appropriately as a changing situation dictates.  Bullwinkle is gonna be 40+ yards from the original shooter in a matter of seconds, in a precarious position behind a cow from original shooter's angle, and, heading towards the caller. Caller can't see the bull "yet" and the shooter may wish to react to the situation and prepare himself to grab the bulls attention (and his partner's) for a shot opportunity. If the original shooter starts making "any" elk noises, perhaps even some non verbal advertising raking, the original caller should know something's up and he needs to ready himself for possible company.  I believe it's important to have that type of predetermined understanding between shooter and caller, where the original callers know's he's either been placed into the shooter mode by the how the situation is unfolding, or at a minimum, know the shooter is attempting to stop a bull with elk sounds for a shot.  You guys brought up some considerations I hadn't thought of also.. good discussion.. Thanks!
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
Thank you Phantom once again.  These scenarios you're posting are the best posts on this site over the last few months during the off season.  In this scenario with the thermals blowing from right to left, I personally would be doing everything possible to kill that bull myself.  I've never seen an ounce of luck for a guy killing any elk (let alone a trophy bull) with the thermals moving towards the elk.  That causing me to rule out any chance my partner having an opportunity.  Actually, I can't believe the elk are 40 yds from the caller and haven't already blown.  After all, I was the "shooter" originally per this scenario, and it doesn't appear the setup could have worked out any better.  Nothing to do with greed. :tup:

Offline mikelonsford

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 09:52:08 AM »
If I was the shooter I'd be doing just that 40 yards and broadside right now.  If the bull is actively moving then I'd give a small chirp and get him to stop with a quick follow up shot. 

My partner and I while moving one of us forward as shooter would always have that change if the caller had a shot opportunity.  Neither of us would think twice about that.  There is certainly skill but so much luck involved in hunting (as in a wide variety of variables you can't control or be aware of ).  When opportunity is knocking you better answer the door.  In this case it is for the shooter and right now.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]