collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's Past Time to Resign my Master Hunter Certification  (Read 9840 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
It's Past Time to Resign my Master Hunter Certification
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
With the recent events, I'm going to make a very public resignation from the Master Hunter program and would like to know your thoughts. When I say "very public", what I mean is a letter to each of my state Senator, the DFW, the Governor's office, and the Seattle Times, the Columbian, and Spokane Review.

I joined the program because I'm passionate about hunting conservation and wanted to put it to work. I've participated in many more than the required hours of conservation activities. I believe that my work in the course awakened in me an activism in conservation and my 2nd Amendment rights that was somewhat dormant before. I learned a lot from taking and completing the course. I've received one damage tag that didn't produce any opportunities - it wasn't important to me that it did. The only tag for which I've applied is the Region 5 because it's a tag that epitomizes the reason for the MH program tags - resolving landowner/wildlife conflict.

But after having attended an Elk Hoof Disease meeting by the DFW and seeing firsthand what appears to be their priority of big timber over wildlife, the incredibly overreaching wolf program, and having read the book Operation Cody by Todd Vandivert, I feel like my association with this department as a Master Hunter is a defacto acceptance of their practices and in fact, is an aid in helping them maintain a false positive public profile. I plan to continue working for wildlife conservation and will continue as a Hunter Ed instructor because I believe in continuing to train and give opportunity to the people it brings to our sport. But, it's time to call it quits as a pawn of Anderson and Pamplin and all of their dysfunction. I respect the views of my fellow HuntWA members very much. So, please let me know what you think and if any of you are interested in hitching your horse to this wagon before I draft off the letters.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: It's Past Time to Resign my Master Hunter Certification
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
I think you know my thoughts on the program. I applaud the volunteer work you did but I'm not a fan of the MH program.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:30:48 AM »
In my opinion, you are justified in taking any action that is legal, and that you believe is contrary to your beliefes and interests.

I understand your frustration with WDFW.

I don't believe that continuing to hunt in this state, or participating in programs such as the Master Hunter program necessarily suggest you endorse the department or accept their practices in any way.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
 :tup:  The message you are sending will be loud and clear to those with an open mind.  I hope you get some company...........this is the kind of stuff they need to hear.

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
I have to applaud you for your choice and taking a stand. So many people lack the spine to do so these days. Well done.  :tup:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
In my opinion, you are justified in taking any action that is legal, and that you believe is contrary to your beliefes and interests.

I understand your frustration with WDFW.

I don't believe that continuing to hunt in this state, or participating in programs such as the Master Hunter program necessarily suggest you endorse the department or accept their practices in any way.

I appreciate your input, Bob. I'll consider your comments carefully. Thank you.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »
You should retire from the program if you have strong beliefs about the direction they have gone or are going. Besides that will be less competition for my MH permits.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
You should retire from the program if you have strong beliefs about the direction they have gone or are going. Besides that will be less competition for my MH permits.

:chuckle: Anything for you, SVH.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:49:10 AM »
 :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
Follow your heart PMAN, you'll never go wrong. Going along with any of WDFW's programs, paying any of their fees, is essentially endorsing their actions. There is a false sense of a positive public profile.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
 :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »
I am a Master Hunter have been a long time. I think you should stay in and here is why.

Yes there are problems, no program is perfect and never will be. As a Master Hunter you have a chance to help change the perception of Master Hunters and hunters in general outside of Hunter Ed.

There is a huge problem with elk in my area. Master Hunters alone cannot solve it. But I was assigned a property in Day Creek before the land owner was ready. I kept in contact with that property owner for months letting him know I was there for him but he was calling the shots. I never hunted for him.

Latter I was assigned a property in Acme with two weeks left in the season. This time I met the farmer and rode around with him he showed me the boundaries , and I asked when he did and did not want me hunting and where I thought the shooting lanes were.

He let me know his neighbors had less than good experience with Master Hunters in the past. I assured him and his farm hands and everyone else I met that they would have no such issues with me.

I did not harvest a elk there. But I think I made a difference as far as the perception of hunters and hunting which is very important to me.

I could not have done that outside of the Master Hunter Program.

Weather anyone agrees or not I think that the certification gives hunters some credibility when they speak about hunting and maybe some folks will listen to your message a little longer. It is a  tool , an in road if you will to get a positive message out to the public. Sadly many Master Hunters  have squandered  the opportunity. I do not intend to be one of those folks.

You should not be either. Change is hard but can be accomplished from the inside with higher success. 

I beg you to stay in, not for access, not for kills, not for special privilege , but for that one chance to make a difference in eye of a non- hunter or property owner. There are plenty of folks out there destroying hunting. There are lots of complainers.

There is always some reason to walk away, always some statement to make, always folks who complain but never step up.

Step up , I will stand with you for change from the inside.

Use the tool you took the time to get. Use it to the advantage of hunting in this state, use it to make a difference one more time with one more property owner. :twocents:

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
Ghost, I will carefully consider your comments. Thanks for making them.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »
:tup:  The message you are sending will be loud and clear to those with an open mind.  I hope you get some company...........this is the kind of stuff they need to hear.
:yeah: :yeah: i know it would be impossible and i sure wish it wouldnt, i would love to see all outdoorsman, hunters and fisherman ban together and boycott a year of huntn and fishn, you all can say what you want but something like that would speak volumes and it would go nationwide.... good luck PMAN  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »
I think you know my thoughts on the program. I applaud the volunteer work you did but I'm not a fan of the MH program.

:yeah:

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]