collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mixing animal sounds ??  (Read 2968 times)

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
Mixing animal sounds ??
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »
Question is...do you guys use a distressed rabbit sound and a distressed fawn sound in the same sequence?  Or two other animals in the same sequence of sounds?
Thanks.
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Mixing animal sounds ??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »
Yep, all the time. I have even seen/read where they will use rabbit distress and crows together.

Offline demontang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:12:19 PM »
Some times using two sounds will bring in coyote's that have been shot at. If you have an e caller and mouth calls you can knock them died some times. Have the ecaller set on a pup in dist really quite and then call like reg with a rabbit, woodpecker or etc and they seem to just run in and not even circle down wind first. ;)

Offline Fishhunt223

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »
The coyote does not necessarily rocognize that a jackrabit is hurt vs. a cottontail.  I use a quiet "mouse squeak" all the time to coax dogs in all the time.  Using a crow call and a distress call of any kind is a good combination because any time the dog thinks there may be competition for a wounded animal, he will come in much faster than if he feels like he has time. 
Travis

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »
If I am in an area that I feel confident that an animal is in hearing distance, I will run through a wide variety of sounds.  I may start with cottontail distress for a couple of sequences, then move to bird distress, fawn, jackrabbit, hog, chicken, pup whines, then howls all on the same stand.  That may take me up to an hour to do and I reserve that for times when I am calling a large area and may only have a couple of hours to make a couple of stands because of the available land to hunt.  I have never tried adding crow or magpie sounds, since the real thing is usually making noise.  I will however use a crow decoy close by for confidence.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »
I was using rabbit distress and coyote howls...it was when I used a pup in distress (after a howl) when this one bear REALLY came in quick...

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:55:21 AM »
I was using rabbit distress and coyote howls...it was when I used a pup in distress (after a howl) when this one bear REALLY came in quick...

LOL
Excitement for sure!

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Will be trying this out soon.
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »
I usally start out with a low moan,then ramp up to a scream,and then....Bang! :chuckle:   good luck have fun.I dont mix at all

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »
The best way to learn how the animal responds to your calling is to spot one mousing in a field, set-up, and call to it.  They may ignore the first sound, the second, or all of them, but you once you do this you will be able to understand that they are a finicky animal and you never know what is going to work.  You also may learn a few other things. 

1) They may be educated and hightail it out of the country at the first sound of a rabbit.  Teh most common sound used by hunters.
2) They may respond to pup whines, but hightail it out of there when you give a howl.  This could mean they have a bad experience responding to a howl, either an ass-kicking or were shot at, or you are not in their defined territory, in which case they may ignore you enirely. 
3) This is a great time to play with the different types of howls.  Challenge, Lone, Warning, Group, or Chirp.  Watching how they respond to each type of howl is a learning experience, even if you learn that what sounds like a perfectly good howl to you, makes the coyote turn tail.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
 Good advice there TL. Gives me some ideas to give a try with.

Sage

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal