collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: multiday fishing float trip  (Read 1868 times)

Offline madcow41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
multiday fishing float trip
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
Does anyone here do any multiday float/fishing trips. they are popular a little bit lower south but I was wondering what rivers in the state can support this.

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: multiday fishing float trip
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »
What are you looking to fish for and what kind of boat do you have?  There are a few that I knw of but it all depends on what you want to fish for and what gear you have.

Offline madcow41

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:58:38 AM »
Ultimatly I want to get a raft of some sort but right not I have a pontoon boat. I have gear to fish for trout, bass, salmon etc. I even spearfish carp. I would prefer smaller rivers.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
I've floated 4 days on the Deschutes in Oregon. Also done an overnighter on the Yakima. Fished a lot out of the boat. Started above the canyon, ended at Roza dam. That was a stretch to do as an overnight trip. We really took our time. Both these trips were in my drift boat.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
Grande Ronde?

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »
Grande Ronde?
This was my first thought.  Great fishing for smallmouth.  Or during the late fall for steelhead.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »
John Day over in E OR. beautiful remote country and great smallmouth fishing :tup:

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »
7400 to black creek on the  'nooch during mid July would be a lame choice unless you enjoy those dime bright summerruns. 602 to 7400 in August would be worse!  :chuckle:

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »
7400 to black creek on the  'nooch during mid July would be a lame choice unless you enjoy those dime bright summerruns. 602 to 7400 in August would be worse!  :chuckle:

Can you get a drift boat down from 7400 in July?

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
Yes you can. You do need to keep as light as possible. Scrap the tent and sleep under the stars. Cook on rocks-you get the drill. If you are real lucky, the flows might be above 350cfs. You'll still do some dragging, but even alone it isn't bad. Any earlier and the fish really have not moved into the upper half of the float. Crossover down is fine in june, you just need to go slow as to not run out of river. Also be mindful that you will be closer to homes than further upriver, so no getting rowdy.  602 down is tooner only, as it is August fishing and 240cfs is real skinny when the river braids. Usually we just hike it. Pack heat, secure your rigs real well(tweekers) and have fun. Just a note, 1/4oz little cleos in silver/green wont produce. :chuckle:

Offline Shane54

• Hunter
    • Shane molz
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
White bridge to black creek sucked a## 12 hour float and a lot of dragging! Best method is everything besides pulling bait :peep: :peep:
Don't fix what's not broken
Republican and proud

Offline chukar hunter

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »
I've floated 4 days on the Deschutes in Oregon. Also done an overnighter on the Yakima. Fished a lot out of the boat. Started above the canyon, ended at Roza dam. That was a stretch to do as an overnight trip. We really took our time. Both these trips were in my drift boat.

Deschutes is a good river but illegal to fish from a floating device.  They also crack down on fires really hard after June 1. 

I recommend picking up a WA River Map Book by Frank Amato.  The launches aren't always 100% accurate nor do they do good job at listing diversion dams, but gets you the majority of the info that you need.  There are numerous rivers in the state that would meet your needs.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
multiday fishing float trip
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »

Deschutes is a good river but illegal to fish from a floating device.  They also crack down on fires really hard after June 1. 

I recommend picking up a WA River Map Book by Frank Amato.  The launches aren't always 100% accurate nor do they do good job at listing diversion dams, but gets you the majority of the info that you need.  There are numerous rivers in the state that would meet your needs.

It's illegal to fish from the boat but it's not illegal to use the boat for transportation. Float, beach the boat and fish. Just be prepared to wade in big water on rocks the size of VW bugs. We floated in October and had no fires. The flyfishing was epic and the scenery was amazing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal