collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth tag question  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Youth tag question
« on: April 26, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »
My son will have a license this year and applying for tags.  Are the youth tags for him a separate series of tags and points and he can apply for the normal tags/draws as well? Or can he only apply for youth permits?  He/I definitely want to get him in the OIL pool asap I just don't see if he has two pools to build in or only the one.  I recognizes that he can't draw multiple tags.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Youth tag question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
He can apply in all other categories (except 65+ and disabled). Good luck to him, I wish they would open up more youth only draws.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
Thanks Tbar.  He can already shoot a doe for several days in the NE part of the state with no tag so I really can't complain.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »
I believe he will burn his general tag on a doe.  I could be wrong but I think unless there is a damage tag issued(or second deer) you must use your general tag.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
I believe he will burn his general tag on a doe.  I could be wrong but I think unless there is a damage tag issued(or second deer) you must use your general tag.

This is correct, when a youth draws and shoots a doe they use the general tag to tag that animal.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »
Put him in for everything including youth moose.just did my daughters today and it was under a hundered bucks. And you can draw multiple permits but your still limited to one kill except second deer. Trust me it has happened. Ne corner is an easy youth hunt depending on where you go. Good luck.

Offline REHJWA

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
Good luck! One of my best hunts was my sons youth antlerless tag... :tup: :tup:
Teach them right early, he had me drag her up hill out of the bottom of a clear cut.  ;) :yike:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »

This is correct, when a youth draws and shoots a doe they use the general tag to tag that animal.  :tup:
Tags. Permits. They are not the same.

Tags are purchased. Permits are drawn.

Every deer hunter must purchase a "transport tag" that goes on the animal after it is killed.

A tag allows an individual to hunt in general seasons only. There are "youth" general seasons.

PERMITS are applied for and drawn, and allow the permit holder to use his TAG to hunt in special times, places, or with fewer restrictions than a person with only a TAG may.

If someone "draws", he draws a permit. He may shoot whatever that permit allows him to. There are youth permits that allow does only (the majority). However, there are youth permits that allow bucks to be killed as well. It depends on the permit.

Hope that clarifies some of the differences.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »
Nice shots with your boy. Mine has been coming for 3 yrs but will have his license this year.

I've not been confused on tags/permits. My only concern was whether the youth were only eligible for youth or if the ran points pools for youth and could also build regular points.

Extra credit question.  Is a youth cow moose tag oil and means no bull moose on an adult permit or can he get both?  I know, long odds regardless.

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
Youth can apply for youth and regular permits as for moose we were told if a youth draws and harvests one they could still put in for oil tag but I would do a little research on that one.

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
Its in the regs youth anterless permit does not count as your oil tag.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »
There are two pools, youth permits and adult permits. I put my daughter in for youth elk and for regular elk permits, she drew a regular elk permit and didn't burn her youth points.

There are two categories for moose, youth and regular.  You can build points in both.  OIL doesn't apply to youth hunts, you can draw as a youth and as an adult so put him in for both.  Also OIL doesn't apply to adult antlerless moose, you can draw multiple anterless moose in your lifetime as an adult if so lucky.  "Any moose" tags are OIL.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline boomstick

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
When they turn 16 the youth points r gone they do nor transfer   And when your youth is between 15 and 16 and r drawn for a youth permit u must buy the permit before they turn 16 or you will pay full price for the moose,sheep, or goat tags.

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:17 AM »
There are two pools, youth permits and adult permits. I put my daughter in for youth elk and for regular elk permits, she drew a regular elk permit and didn't burn her youth points.

There are two categories for moose, youth and regular.  You can build points in both.  OIL doesn't apply to youth hunts, you can draw as a youth and as an adult so put him in for both.  Also OIL doesn't apply to adult antlerless moose, you can draw multiple anterless moose in your lifetime as an adult if so lucky.  "Any moose" tags are OIL.
I always put the kid in for the Quailty hunts too, so he can build some points in those categories.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by FWilliams
[Today at 06:54:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter