collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A  (Read 118571 times)

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Phelps/Hunt-Wa Elk Hunting Q&A
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
Jason, I have heard of some peninsula hunters jumping elk then running after them to catch up with them , have you ever used this tactic?

Not with a bow  :dunno: BUT many times when I used to rifle hunt.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
Here it is only march and i'm reading Guy Eastmans elk hunting the west and asking Phelps calling questions.  I guess you can never know to much.

There is no offseason  :tup:

Offline _TONY_

• TWO BAD HOMBRES
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Sagebrush junkie
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
Here it is only march and i'm reading Guy Eastmans elk hunting the west and asking Phelps calling questions.  I guess you can never know to much.

There is no offseason  :tup:

:tup: :tup:

Offline mjustice79

• Hunter
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, B&C, Buckmasters
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
Glad I found this thread! I am trying to decide which side to hunt. I have NEVER hunted elk before. I was looking at a couple of areas here on the west side, but found a couple just east of the cascades that's an hour more drive for me. I applied for multi-season but I understand may not get it my first year applying, therefore I will be using my bow. The areas I was looking at on the west side were the pack forest area and some just southwest of Olympia. The one on the east side was Winas unit. I don't expect you or someone to give up their home turf so to speak. Thanks for the assistance!
Retired Infantryman
I'm about to say to heck with all, and go raise pigs, mules, and tobacco.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2015, 06:45:48 AM »
If you have never hunted elk before, I personally would hunt the westside. It is closer to home (gives you more time to scout and hunt).  It also gives you more chances at killing an elk being able to take a 3 point or better or cow in certain units (make sure to check the regulations).

Offline mjustice79

• Hunter
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, B&C, Buckmasters
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
Thanks! :tup:
Retired Infantryman
I'm about to say to heck with all, and go raise pigs, mules, and tobacco.

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
Looking for suggestions on some reading material regarding Roosevelts 

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
Are you looking for stories or hunting tactics?

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2015, 12:17:50 AM »
Biology & tatics grew up rifle hunting Mt & made the switch last yr to archery (was only able to hunt late season) I must say it was a bit humbling totally different ball game 

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2015, 04:30:48 AM »
For Roosevelt elk early archery, my wife and i will be hunting it for the first time.  She is brand new to hunting, i hunted Modern for 2 years pretty successfully i would say, but didn't do much calling.  If you were to recommend a series of beginner calls that both her and i should have on us during the hunt, it'd be much appreciated.  There's so much out there that i'm a bit overwhelmed on what's necessity and just good to have in the arsenal.  I own ELK101 and a few other elk vids, i do a lot of research and google maps and in person scouting, i know the general area i will be hunting and i have a ton of confidence we can find elk.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »
Biology & tatics grew up rifle hunting Mt & made the switch last yr to archery (was only able to hunt late season) I must say it was a bit humbling totally different ball game

Bowtechian,
I mainly concentrate on early season hunting using calls and the rut to my advantage.  As far as early season my tactics are very similar to Rocky Mountain bulls.

The biggest difference in my opinion is the Roosevelt Elk likes their "home" area and seem more resistance to moving when hunted or spooked (take advantage of the cover) where a Rocky Mountain bull will move 2-3 miles when pressured.   

Also in some areas Roosevelt's may not be as vocal but rather than it being a characteristic of Roosevelt's my opinion is that it has more to do with competition from surrounding satellite bulls.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
For Roosevelt elk early archery, my wife and i will be hunting it for the first time.  She is brand new to hunting, i hunted Modern for 2 years pretty successfully i would say, but didn't do much calling.  If you were to recommend a series of beginner calls that both her and i should have on us during the hunt, it'd be much appreciated.  There's so much out there that i'm a bit overwhelmed on what's necessity and just good to have in the arsenal.  I own ELK101 and a few other elk vids, i do a lot of research and google maps and in person scouting, i know the general area i will be hunting and i have a ton of confidence we can find elk.

Huntingbaldguy,

Elk calls are different for all users.  One caller may sound amazing using one call and sound horrible with the next, but I will give you some recommendations.

I would recommend the Elk Commander, The Boss and Dragon Slayer (in medium)   Also the mellow yellow or Raging Bull may be a good option if you decide you like the palate plate better.  You will also want a grunt tube to go along with those diaphragms.

I would also recommend an EZEstrus cow call. They are easy to use and have been very effective at luring bulls in.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »
I currently use a primos imperial white I was curious about the size comparison to your calls

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
The medium will fit similar to the palate plate style calls.  :tup:

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2015, 03:05:37 AM »

Huntingbaldguy,

Elk calls are different for all users.  One caller may sound amazing using one call and sound horrible with the next, but I will give you some recommendations.

I would recommend the Elk Commander, The Boss and Dragon Slayer (in medium)   Also the mellow yellow or Raging Bull may be a good option if you decide you like the palate plate better.  You will also want a grunt tube to go along with those diaphragms.

I would also recommend an EZEstrus cow call. They are easy to use and have been very effective at luring bulls in.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Do women typically go with the small size diaphragms?  I need a set for her and for myself and thinking just a single grunt tube. 

Also, i don't know what you mean by palate plate.  I'm assuming it's a different type of diaphragm but I'm new to all these calls and stuff.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]