collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: predator hunting nearish to whatcom county  (Read 18488 times)

Offline uncoolperson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
predator hunting nearish to whatcom county
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »
anyone out there willing to show me the ways, failed at deer... figured it might be fun to toss a pelt on the wall (didn't get my antlers).

looking to learn, willing to provide gas/lunch/ammo/etc... and able to get any gear i might need.

Offline Fishhunt223

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: predator hunting nearish to whatcom county
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
Sending a pm your way.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
So, after reading all kinds of stuff about predator hunting.... I think throwing my hand at the trapping thing would be fun as well... anyone willing to teach? (I don't gotta participate, just want to see how it's done).

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »
okay, so whatcom county might not be the place to look to... anyone westside will to let me tag along?

Offline strutnrut1984

• Longhunter
  • its not what u get its how many times u get to go
  • Groups: Nwtf
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »
lots of yotes here in whatcom

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:34:48 AM »
lots of yotes here in whatcom

willing to teach?

Offline strutnrut1984

• Longhunter
  • its not what u get its how many times u get to go
  • Groups: Nwtf
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
im really just getting into it myself. gonna try to get out next week ive been out 3 times so far killed 1.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »
if you're ever up for a partner let me know...

Offline dbur525

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
    • Billy Bullet
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:39:08 AM »
just wondering do you hunt in the national forest or private ranches?
Painting & Identifying Bullet Tips & Cases for safety
                             "know your load"
                     Billy Bullet marking Systems
           billybulletbullettipmarkingsystems.com

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
just wondering do you hunt in the national forest or private ranches?

havent done any, wouldn't know what to do.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »
still trying to find some (read LOTS) help in figuring this out.

I haven't gotten a chance to go out on my own yet, too side tracked lately, still would like to see how it's done though.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »
or some general directions (what and how, as well as where if possible).

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
There's tons of coyotes all over Whatcom county... get a map and start checking some places out, knock on some doors and ask for some permission, find something to contribute and maybe someone will offer up some help. I'm not meaning it as slander... but when someone asks for help, without working to help themselves... that seems like Democrat kind of behavior to me.

I used to kill a couple coyotes a week just driving around when I lived up there in Bellingham... it ain't what it used to be, but there's still more than enough dogs to go around. Spend $20 on a gazetter, and another $30 for gas... and you'll have it figured out in no time... keep asking without doing... and you'll get what you've gotten thus far.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »
that seems like Democrat kind of behavior to me.

wow, really?

I've been busy, too unsure of what I'm doing, etc...

find something to contribute and maybe someone will offer up some help. I'm not meaning it as slander... but when someone asks for help, without working to help themselves... that seems like Democrat kind of behavior to me.
having something to contribute would mean I'd know something, I don't know anything other than a coyote has four legs and a tail and apparently they are fun to shoot at.

So I offered the best I could come up with:
looking to learn, willing to provide gas/lunch/ammo/etc... and able to get any gear i might need.

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »
Good luck...
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
Hey uncoolperson parden my french but you sound like a begger and want your cake fed to you.  I understand that you are busy but I would love to see someone who isn't now and then.  If i was you I would at least try a tiny bit to learn what you can, show some drive then get on here and ask questions.  Many guys and gals work hard to learn what they have learned and most have done it on their own.  Everyone on this site would probably be willing to teach, but not just hand over a good coyote hunting seminar to someone who hasn't showed they are willing to work for it.  If you want to learn that bad how about contacting Justin Aamodt down in Burns Oregon and pay for a guided coyote trip for a weekend. :twocents:

Offline shoot-em-dead

• non-yar
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
Holy crap you guys are being tough. Uncoolperson asked for some help. He does not want your honeyholes and is willing to pay for everything for a day. That's what $50.00 in fuel, $10.00 in lunch and not to mention if you should have the opportunity to fling some lead he'll pay for that too. I just don't get why your being so tough on the guy? :dunno:
This closet is taken- go find your own

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
it is my intent to go fail a few hundred times, waiting for the weather and the world to cooperate a little.

I am not a begger, simply not giving up on this place.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 04:19:21 PM »
Uncool -
There are tons of coyote/calling threads here that will give you all the info you need to learn the basics (and more). Don't just pay attention to the yote threads, read the cat and bear calling threads as well.
I would suggest gettting out on your own a bit as it is the only way you will put the reading to work.
Find some ground with sign and then ask if anyone will come with you to "your" spot and have them show you how they do it.

Furbearer -
How do you know he hasn't been out? I don't see him asking for honey holes or begging. I wish half the people I take out offered to pay for gas.

JoshT -
I ask the same of you..how do you know he hasn't done anything?

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »
Not saying he hasn't... but the offer of an info SWAP is much better received than the begging for just info... compensation for gas is the least of my concerns. I've learned by doing... then asking... if you put work in, it matters little if the work was fruitful or not... guys just want to know you can pull your own weight. The school of hard knocks can provide an invaluable education in the art of calling predators (or any other hunting)... you know that Billy. I don't want to hunt with anyone that doesn't at least have an Associates Degree from that school... unless I'm an honorary professor... in which case there'll need to be prerequisites completed.

Bring something to the table... that's all... fishin' hole, duck blind, etc... most guys can pick-up their own tab... but the last couple of guys I've just said "hey, I can show you a little"... flat wore out the spots I showed them, and I got nothing in return. Can't speak for anyone else... but that ain't happening to me again.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
The school of hard knocks can provide an invaluable education in the art of calling predators (or any other hunting)... you know that Billy. I don't want to hunt with anyone that doesn't at least have an Associates Degree from that school...

Bring something to the table... that's all... fishin' hole, duck blind, etc... most guys can pick-up their own tab... but the last couple of guys I've just said "hey, I can show you a little"... flat wore out the spots I showed them, and I got nothing in return.

Believe me, I agree.
I just felt you guys were a little harsh. Not wrong, but maybe just could have worded it differently.

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
Hey billythekidrock, you obviously didn't read his posts because he said not once but three time that he has never gone before.  I understand that all he was wanted was a little help but what kind of help could we give a guy that knows nothing about coyotes except they have four legs and are fun to shoot.  I have been hunting those "fun-to-shoot" animals for a long time and have taken it very seriously and have dumped a lot of time,passion, and money into hunting them.  Maybe he should listen to JoshT and at least try on your own first, then come back with a story about what happened and ask the right way, by asking for advice on how to better you chances next time.  The people on this website are not just a bunch of guides looking to take rookies out for a good hunting experience in exchange for McDonalds and gas.  Good helpful advice and what uncoolperson wants is not the same.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 06:49:17 PM »
are we done?

I get it, I've got to go figure out how this works myself. When I have detailed questions come back, I'm not going to find a hunting buddy until I know what I'm doing and at minimum have something to trade.

sure am glad fly fishing isn't like this.... ohhh wait.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
well if ya get down south Ill show ya the basics.like most have said,read watch and practice alot at home..then get out even if its just a while good luck

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »
Hey billythekidrock, you obviously didn't read his posts because he said not once but three time that he has never gone before. 

Actually I did read all his posts and I should have said, "how do you know he hasn't done anything" when I addressed you. How do you know he hasn't asked, scouted or looked at maps? Obviously he hasn't been in the woods hunting yotes, but there is more to it than that.

The people on this website are not just a bunch of guides looking to take rookies out for a good hunting experience in exchange for McDonalds and gas.  

Obviously you are new here or you would know that there are a lot of great people on this site that take a lot of newbies out in the field.

Good helpful advice and what uncoolperson wants is not the same.

How do you know? Do you know him?

Offline scroder

• Hunter
  • ManBearPig Man! Myth! Legend!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
uncool-

To me it sounded like you were trying to buy info. You started asking for help way back in November, surely since then you could have found some time and somewhere to go and a least tried. If you have read about coyote hunting you should have the basic principle.  When I started 15 yrs ago I had no clue but like anything you keep trying things until something works then you just keep tweeking it. get a distress call. get permission for private land or hike into public land. sit down make some noise off and on for fifteen minutes minimum all the time keeping your eyes peeled for a critter. if you see one shoot it if not move on to a new spot and try again. Then come back and tell us how it went, sweat equity goes a long way. By doing this you will learn some lessons the hard way but once you learn this way you are not likely to forget the lesson.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »
uncool-

To me it sounded like you were trying to buy info. You started asking for help way back in November, surely since then you could have found some time and somewhere to go and a least tried.

wasn't trying to buy, was trying "to bring to the table" what I could. If I was trying to buy my way I'd offer up cash or go full on guided... guided fishing sucked, I need a teacher not a waiter.

I probably could have, things got in the way (learning to hunt other things, helping my brother organize his trip on the PCT this summer, life, etc..), ambition fades pretty quick when I know I'm just pretending to have a clue about stuff. Heck for all I know whatever I decided to try could actually be scaring the bejesus out of anything inside a mile (if I knew what to look for to find a sq mile that might hold something).

Offline stumprat

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
[ Heck for all I know whatever I decided to try could actually be scaring the bejesus out of anything inside a mile (if I knew what to look for to find a sq mile that might hold something).
[/quote]

The main thing is don't be afraid to call. Sometimes they come in when your all screwed up. Anything you put out as far as a call goes is closer to success than silence. Just give it a whirl some guys hook up at thier first stand others during thier second season. I learned to call by watching dvd's. I'm not the best for sure but I get my share. Best of luck to you.

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
hey billie, you are not getting what most of us are trying to say.  Yes i know there are nice people on this site that are willing to take out new guys and i get that.  but what we are all saying is just try for yourself for a while and then ask, don't just say you want to do something and you need someone to get you into it.  Have you ever heard the saying, "If i had to exlpain it, you wouldn't understand anyway."  If Uncool is that green and has never been once, how would any advice help.  What would he have to compare it to.  Coyote hunting is the most accessable hunting there is.  No season, bag limit, night or day, any weapon, and unit doesn't matter.  To say that you have no time to take yourself out but you will have time if someone else takes you is BS.  It seems to me that you just nominated yourself to teach him and take him along so good luck, if you need any pointers just ask.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:34:29 PM by furbearer365 »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »
 :chuckle:

thats the spirit there, furbearer365. i'm sure if billy needs any pointers he'll come asking you.

uncool...go out and try it for yourself. worst case scenario you spend a day or a half day in the woods. there's nothing wrong with time in the woods. the first time i set up and called, i called in a yote and shot it. i'm no expert like some other people are  :rolleyes: but going out and trying it couldn't possibly hurt.
someone will buddy up with you and go at some point, in the meantime, there's no substitute for time in the woods.
it's like they say about fishing, a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
I don't see any problem with what uncoolperson was asking either.  I am extremely grateful for the teachers that I have had in my life.  I learned more in a day with an experienced fur hunter, than a year of reading books and articles, most of which are written by *censored*ters who suck on the teet of an experienced hunter.  Getting out there is the most important part.  He was looking for honey holes, just someone to take him out and show him the ropes.  Hell you can teach a person how to call in an area without any coyotes.  I have been able to share more knowledge when coyotes don't respond because you can go through all the variables that might have occurred on that stand.  It sounds like you two have been burned on showing people your spots, and that is a lesson most of us have learned.  Asking for a hunting partner to show them the ropes and offering up what he did in appreciation is pretty stand up in my opinion.  

Uncool, if you ever get over to Spokane, I'll be more than happy to take you out.

Coyote hunting is the most accessable hunting there is.  No season, bag limit, night or day, any weapon, and unit doesn't matter.

Gee, I wonder why uncoolperson feels a little overwhelmed.  Maybe because of all the variables in hunting the most adaptable predator in the world.  If you started from nothing and were not introduced to the sport by anyone, that is amazing that you have taught yourself to be such a proficient coyote hunter, and I commend you for that.  Maybe when you have been doing it even longer, you will be able to enjoy seeing someone take their first coyote, or get all shaky and miss a shot at five yards.  To me that is what is so enjoyable about coyote hunting, more so than putting up big numbers of dead animals.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »
Uncool... I haven't hunted coyotes yet but I already have 3 areas worth trying...... that is if I decide to get a call and give it a shot...lol..... I admit I live in coyote central but it isn't too tough to hit the trail and start looking for signs......

I don't think I've been anywhere that there weren't coyotes...... and it is fun to get out of the house.....

Up in your area I'd be asking around with the local farmers being calving and lambing season they usually want the yotes gone ;) and are happy to tell you where to find them....lol

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »
hey billie, you are not getting what most of us are trying to say.  Yes i know there are nice people on this site that are willing to take out new guys and i get that.  but what we are all saying is just try for yourself for a while and then ask, don't just say you want to do something and you need someone to get you into it.  Have you ever heard the saying, "If i had to exlpain it, you wouldn't understand anyway."  If Uncool is that green and has never been once, how would any advice help.  What would he have to compare it to.  Coyote hunting is the most accessable hunting there is.  No season, bag limit, night or day, any weapon, and unit doesn't matter.  To say that you have no time to take yourself out but you will have time if someone else takes you is BS.  It seems to me that you just nominated yourself to teach him take him along so good luck, if you need any pointers just ask.

So, If I don't know what I'm doing you can't help... okay, I think I get that.
No it's not BS, did you read my post or just make an assumption of what you wanted me to say?

I've asked for pointers in the most general sense, or was that offer of pointers not directed to me (because I wouldn't understand)?

or some general directions (what and how, as well as where if possible).

The main thing is don't be afraid to call. Sometimes they come in when your all screwed up. Anything you put out as far as a call goes is closer to success than silence. Just give it a whirl some guys hook up at thier first stand others during thier second season. I learned to call by watching dvd's. I'm not the best for sure but I get my share. Best of luck to you.
Thanks, helpful to know screwing up as badly as possible (or as expected in my case worse than possible) isn't all that bad.

I do intended to give this a shot, waiting for a few things to work themselves out first before I go a little crazy

Offline stumprat

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »

Thanks, helpful to know screwing up as badly as possible (or as expected in my case worse than possible) isn't all that bad.

I do intended to give this a shot, waiting for a few things to work themselves out first before I go a little crazy
[/quote]

Wow you sure take things out of context. I was just trying to say don't let fear of sounding bad scare ya out of trying.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »

Wow you sure take things out of context. I was just trying to say don't let fear of sounding bad scare ya out of trying.
That's what I sad. or atleast meant.

edit: my post was intended to be self insulting humor.

Offline stumprat

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:55 PM »
Cool. Hang out and read alot. Check out some good dvd's. Your day will come. Someone in your area will help you out.

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
Hey uncool, i guess you understand and i swear i am not trying to sound like a total dick.  But in the area i live many know me as an avid predator hunter and all the time i see people who want info from me that I got just by a little hard work.  I said it before and i will say it again, i am more than willing to give any advice you want maybe even some areas but i have a hard time because it SEEMS you haven't done much to learn thusfar.  So i guess i ask you, what have you done specifically to start up hunting coyotes.  What have been your first steps to getting into it.  Have you got an area that may have coyotes, have you scouted, do you own a call and if so what kind, have you bought any books or dvds.  I think the preaching is over just go out and give them a try, that is the best advice you could get.  If you go out and put in the footwork,  I swear it will pay off.  Just don't overcall an area.  The biggest mistake a rookie can make is calling in the same spot time after time.  I only call the same spot twice in a year and make it at least 1 month apart and use a different sound each time.  Good luck

Offline stumprat

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »
Hey uncool, i guess you understand and i swear i am not trying to sound like a total dick.  But in the area i live many know me as an avid predator hunter and all the time i see people who want info from me that I got just by a little hard work.  I said it before and i will say it again, i am more than willing to give any advice you want maybe even some areas but i have a hard time because it SEEMS you haven't done much to learn thusfar.  So i guess i ask you, what have you done specifically to start up hunting coyotes.  What have been your first steps to getting into it.  Have you got an area that may have coyotes, have you scouted, do you own a call and if so what kind, have you bought any books or dvds.  I think the preaching is over just go out and give them a try, that is the best advice you could get.  If you go out and put in the footwork,  I swear it will pay off.  Just don't overcall an area.  The biggest mistake a rookie can make is calling in the same spot time after time.  I only call the same spot twice in a year and make it at least 1 month apart and use a different sound each time.  Good luck

Good info right there!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
hey billie, you are not getting what most of us are trying to say.  Yes i know there are nice people on this site that are willing to take out new guys and i get that.  but what we are all saying is just try for yourself for a while

Obviously I do get it. Read my post to him about getting out on his own.

It seems to me that you just nominated yourself to teach him and take him along so good luck

And I would teach him if he wanted to come all the way down here.

if you need any pointers just ask.

Yea right.

Hey uncool, i guess you understand and i swear i am not trying to sound like a total dick.  

Too late.

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 06:47:18 AM »
Billy... you're a much respected guy here... if fur and I seem out of line... we probably are to some extent. For that I appologize, but I don't think fur or myself was trying to be an dick... sometimes tough love is hard to type, you know?

I've introduced more people to coyote hunting than I can count on both hands... and feet. There's nothing more rewarding than having a dog come charging in and seeing it for that very first time... most folks are shaking so bad they miss... terribly. I'm sure fur has done the same. All of those folks, with few exceptions, had tried to call dogs... fruitlessly... so the reward and the lessons learned were appreciated on a much greater level. It's like taking a total nube who's never caught a fish before down the 'nooch w/ a guide... and hooking them into a 15# nate steelie... they can't truly appreciate it... and they get spoiled.

How much better would uncool's post have been received... had it looked like this:

Hey, I live up in Whatcom county and I'm pretty new to hunting coyotes. I found a couple of roads that have some good access up toward Mt. Baker, and got permission to hunt a couple of small woodlots up around Ferndale. Try as I might... I just can't seem to call a coyote in. I know they're there... I see scat and tracks that look like they were left by a coyote, so I pretty sure I've got some huntable areas. Is there anyone in the Bellingham area that wouldn't mind a nube tagging along... or showing me the ropes in a couple of the areas I've found? I'll kick in for gas... and maybe even buy dinner. Any help or tips would be appreciated... I've watched every video I can get my hands on... and even practice my calls in the car. Thanks in advance for the help.

Now... had I seen that... I'd have shot him a PM with some good info. We killed over 100 dogs in 3 straight years in Whatcom county... that don't mean that everyone should have access to them though.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 07:18:34 AM »
josh, thanks for the general what and how, and a little bit about the where.

I'm still not a democrat, and I don't need any of your love.

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 07:27:11 AM »
Never called you one... just said it sounded like that type of behavior.

Seriously though... head up Mt. Baker Hwy. past the Nooksack Casino... find a spur road... and drive around. There's good country off the Mosquito Lake road, the North Fork road, and even south on Hwy. 9 (a lot of that is private... but it's sweet country). Most of what's huntable don't look anything like the videos you've seen... this thick reprod or steep jungle... but there's dog everywhere up there. Set up, watch your wind, sit freaking still, and blow on a call... see what happens. Sumas mountain is another spot that we've killed a lot of dogs on... easy access from B'ham... and the grouse hunting up there in Sept. is awesome too.

Sorry if you thought I was being a dick... I guess I kind of was. Get out and put in some work... let us know how it goes.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 08:06:35 AM »
Up in your area I'd be asking around with the local farmers being calving and lambing season they usually want the yotes gone ;) and are happy to tell you where to find them....lol

best contact I have with farmers is my wife (works at a vet clinic), I've had her keeping her ears open for me.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:24 AM »
she/you need to ask for access, not just listen.  :twocents:

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »
JoshT and Furbearer.  Thank you for the follow-up posts.  I think they explained a lot of your feelings in a constructive manner.  I agree with much of what you said. 

JoshT, you are exactly right in your example of how a post should be written when looking for help, and that would have gone over better.  Hopefully, uncoolperson learned something from everyones input in how to ask for help.

Now back to hunting

Just don't overcall an area.  The biggest mistake a rookie can make is calling in the same spot time after time.  I only call the same spot twice in a year and make it at least 1 month apart and use a different sound each time.  Good luck

furbearer if I remember correctly, you have to travel to hunt the productive east side areas, so that explains the number of times you call an area.  If not, and you are closer to your hunting areas than you can hit the best areas more often than that without effecting the quality of your stands too much.  The absolute best areas that hold coyotes usually have an abundance of a prey species and are in an area that hold coyotes all the time.  If you kill enough coyotes or the dominant coyotes in that area, then that void will be filled with new coyotes almost immediately.  Sometimes within 24 hours.  Many studies have been done in areas where aerial gunning or extensive trapping has been utilized, that show the population is back to prekill levels within a week, especially if control methods in adjacent areas are not being used.

What you really need to guard against is educating those coyotes, by misses, or association, with killing their buddies.  Using different sounds, like you mentioned in your post, goes a long ways to doing that. 

So make sure you shoot all of the coyotes you see on a stand.  If only it were that easy, it would be easy.

Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »
Billy... you're a much respected guy here... if fur and I seem out of line... we probably are to some extent. For that I appologize, but I don't think fur or myself was trying to be an dick... sometimes tough love is hard to type, you know?

Now... had I seen that... I'd have shot him a PM with some good info. We killed over 100 dogs in 3 straight years in Whatcom county... that don't mean that everyone should have access to them though.

I fully understand and agree. I just think it could have been expressed a bit differently...on both sides.

It is hard to understand tone and intent online and as a Mod/Admin we have to error on the side of caution when it looks like someone is being picked on.

Offline big ed

• Hunter
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
HEY UNCOOL JUST PACK A LUNCH AND GO DRIVE THE BACK ROAD FOREST TRAILS .THATS HOW I LEARNED AND I'M STILL NOT THAT GOOD AT IT BUT EACH TIME WE GO OUT WE LEARN SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO TRY .YOTES CAN SMART OR DUMB AS A ROCK I LIKE THE DUMB ONES LIKE THE ONES THAT MY GET IN ARE YARD.IT'S CALLED TRY TRY TRY AGAIN .GOOD LUCK
just like to fish and hunt

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 11:21:24 PM »
I plan to give it a try, gotta get over "yay I can go fishing!" and sight in something other than my 06... a few weeks out, finally got my brother on the trail so that's mostly done with (http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,26007.0.html)

yay freetime!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1