collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Attn Youth: Treasure to be found!!!! Round two in the books.  (Read 25316 times)

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Attn Youth: Treasure to be found!!!! Round two....coming soon.
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
Almost have mine planned out. :chuckle:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
Nice.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
Re: Attn Youth: Treasure to be found!!!! Round two...details announced.
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
Heading out this Saturday to do a little trek for scouting out the next hunt. It is all planned out in my head...just need to put some boots on the ground and double check a few things.

Okay. I've thought out the scenario and will just go ahead and lay it out for you.This next treasure hunt is for any age up to the parents descretion as far as ability and comfort. It will not be as easy as the last one but with greater risk comes greater rewards. I would suggest an age between 8 and 18. I'll be walking the path that the treasure seekers will need to trek and will do my utmost to keep it at the level where it is fun, challenging, and rewarding.

Treasure Hunt 2: Blood Trail.

You are bowhunting a nice little hillside. You've scouted the area and you know that there is a nice little funnel that brings in the bears. If you plan it right you will have a nice little chip shot and be able to take a broadside, possible qtr to you slightly shot on a boo boo. You have walked in before that last few hours of the day and sat on your nice little flat spot you have made with some logs and sticks. You sit and wait. Soon, you hear a stick break. It is in front of you. You aren't sure exactly to which side of the log pile that you are hidden behind. If it comes out on your right you have a clear shooting lane as far as your affective range. If it comes in to your left, which is what you hope, it will come out and be visible right by that funky looking log that you have ranged over and over. Another stick breaks. Is it a deer? There are some around...a guy you know...goes by H20....has even flung an arrow and managed to miss in spectacular fashion in this very same spot. Was that movement? Your mind could be playing tricks on you. Is it a coyote? Are you clipped in? Is your arrow nocked? The leaves move, it is off to your left. Exactly as you hoped. Breath easy and focus you are telling yourself. You dare to look up just past some logs to see if you can spot your prey. There it is but what is it. The brush is moving and whatever it is doesn't seem to know you are there. This is what you have been waiting for. You clip in, tell yourself top pin, wiggle your toes and your butt to get a little feeling back. Louder now, another stick breaks and you see what has been making all the noise. It is not a deer or a yote, it is a bear. A little on the small size but you have already told yourself that if it is cinnamon you are letting fly. Now or never, you peek, its head is down and it is standing just to your left by the funky log. You draw, find your anchor point, and so slowly you creep up and lean out. The moment of truth is at hand. Before you know it your bow lets go, the shot feels good, its like you can will the arrow to fly true. There is a grunt and a whoof and the bear spins biting at its left shoulder trying to get at what is making it hurt. You duck down, tuck your chin, and just try to melt into the ground. The bear is making one hell of a noise and in your mind you are seeing the shot. You know it was good. Next thing you know, it is silent. Not a sound. You peek out. No bear. You look around and listen. No bear. The shakes set in and you plant it back on your butt. Have some water. Put the bottle down. Look up. Still no bear. Stand up. Still no bear. You walk over. Boo Yah. Your arrow is just buried in the wood. You give it a wiggle, not budging, and now you have fresh bright red bubbly looking blood on your fingers. Still, no bear. You remember what you were taught. Back out, give it time, make some calls, don't push it. Grab your gear and get to walking. You get to the gate and it is pitch black. Did that really happen? Did you just stick your first bear? Damn right you did.

You get home and are getting some food. Dinner was left in the oven but it is still cold. You simply don't care if it was hot or not because you are just lit up and talking over and over replaying the shot, the sounds, the whole thing over and over. Cloud nine is your bed tonight.

After a toss and turn kind of night you are up with the sun and back to your spot. You've brought help and you are nervous but excited to begin. You walk back down the hill a bit to where you were sitting. Better pick up that water bottle you left. Back to the arrow. It is still there. Yesterday was not a dream. Your help gives it a wiggle...stuck for sure...but the blood is dried. Now, in the light of the morning you can see blood on the ground, good blood. It goes downhill, very clear sign with a little spray and drops here and there. Now the work begins.

Your quest is to track your prize. You will need to remember what you are looking for. Blood drops may be very clear or very faint. You may have to go slow and sometimes you may feel like you are close and will feel the urge to hurry. That is understandable but remember, this is not a race. If you don't see blood maybe you need to look closer, maybe you need to look for broken branches or leaves that have been pushed aside. If you lose the trail do not be surprised and by all means, do not give up. If you do your job, be patient, you will be rewarded.

I will provide a location via gps of where you were sitting. It will be as exact as I can make it. You will know you are in the right place, because after all, you forgot to pick up your water bottle and your carefully arranged sticks will still be in place where you were sitting. Your arrow will still be stuck in the wood. I will give a few days notice then post the numbers on a Thursday or Friday evening.

Your prize? Well.....I guess we will see.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:03:04 PM by h20hunter »

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
 :hello:

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
The girls are ready for a challenging bear hunt  :tup:

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
Just read through this thread. What a great idea H20.

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
Nice weekend coming up are we hunting? Need something fun to do with the kids :hello:

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
Looking like possibly next weekend. Bear opens up and give me a good reason to go get it set up. A fellow member is sending me a little something something to round out the treasure.

Here is a little teaser though and something to think about. This area has been actively logged and is still on going. I would not assume this is only a youth treasure hunt. There are bears in the area and I know some specifics that even though I'm not going to share I will say that you need to have a tag in your pocket and at least one rifle with you. Within 5 minutes of beginning the walk in you have a chance of bumping something. Once you get to tracking the treasure you are in a decent to good area.

So, weather permitting next weekend, be looking for the coordinates on Friday night.

Quick edit: This weekend is the bbq! What else should you be doing?

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
Bump we need more youth involved for this idea. Calking oyt all youth and members that have kids please join me and my girls on this hunt .I will be stting up another one soon. This is fun and there's nothing better then spending good quality time with family and friends.

Offline Salty151

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: DU. WAC
So gonna be fun! My girls and I are in!   :tup:

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
Nice. This weekend is booked. Weather pending we could be looking at not this weekend but next.

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
Sounds good h20 gotta fix the truck this weekend next sounds good and b its about time you started posting hahaha. :hello:

Offline Salty151

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: DU. WAC
I know Jason! But not everyone has a sit on yer rear job like you!   :chuckle:

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
yeah.....sheesh....not like I'm on the forum all day when I should be working.

Hush.....I know...I know.

Offline jason stevens

• Sourdough
Oh now come on buddy you sit to just have more to watch. :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]