collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New muzzleloader, what should i get  (Read 8580 times)

Offline anglinarcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
New muzzleloader, what should i get
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »
don't post often but i drew a muzzleloader mule deer tag for kansas
So I'm looking at getting a better muzzleloader, i currently have cheapo a cva buckhorn

kansas regulations Read below
 "MUZZLELOADERS
Muzzleloading rifles, pistols or muskets that can be loaded only through the front of the firing chamber with separate components and that fire a bullet of .40 inches diameter or larger. Only hard-cast solid lead, conical lead, or saboted bullets may be used with muzzleloading rifles, pistols and muskets. Handguns may be possessed during big game muzzleloader only seasons but may not be used to take big game unless they are muzzleloading handguns."

So I'm going to put a good scope on it and would like to shoot far out if needed be

when i do buy a new muzzleloader i would like to get something that would be able to be changed and make legal here in washington as well
open sights "percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the weather"

So what would you guys recommend i get and what loads have worked for you guys?
i grew up bowhunting so this is all pretty new to me
thanks,
Jeff
<=====<<<

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: New muzzleloader, what should i get
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
What's your budget?

Buy a Knight Disc Extreme then buy the western kit for it to make it NW Legal.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »
do you like your CVA? They now make the CVA Accura in a NW legal model. Its a break action ML which I find to be a little more user friendly. The Knight Disc Extreme would be a good option as well. Both are in the upper price range for ML's.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline MuleDeerCrazy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »
I bought a Knight .52 cal. last year and it is a sweet, long-range shooting outfit.  It's rocking 375 grain Red Hots right around 2,000 fps, w/ 145 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder.  I was shooting 3 inches high at 100 yards, 5 inches low at 200 yards, and about 18 inches low at 300 yards.  People will argue there's not enough difference between the .50 cal. and the .52 cal. to warrant buying one, but run the ballistics, the .52 cal. is pushing similar velocities, but the bullet is 60%-70% heavier... the downrange energy isn't even in the same ballpark - way more horsepower!

They have a long range version that might even be set up better for long-ranged, scoped shooting?

Whichever way you go, good luck.  It's always fun to play around with a new toy!

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
Knight bighorn is what i have. accurate, lite and easy to clean. I haven't found any load it wont shoot accurately. :tup:

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
anglinarcher

I would suggest to you that the Knight DISC rifles, either the Extreme, Mountaineer, or the Ultra-Lite, are the most versatile rifle on the market.

With the rifles listed above you can be legal in any state you choose to hunt.  What's more you can load just about any projectile you choose to load and have great accuracy.  The Disc series can utilize three different ignition systems, FPJ (full plastic jackets with 209 primers) NFPJ (non plastic jacket - or bare 209's) and Percussion caps both #11 or Musket cap.

These are all stainless ML's with a variety of stock options.

Since you will probably hunt in your home state most I would suggest getting a Western Edition and add the option of getting a different bolt housing and breech plug for other states or rifle hunting in your home state, if you were to choose to do that.

This is a Ultra-Lite set up for Western Hunting

Here it is set up for regular rifle hunting using a bare primer ignition system

Hope some of this helps...

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline anglinarcher

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
thanks for all the replies

im not really sure about budget, i don't want to spend anything crazy ( i just bought new tires for my truck) but i do plan on hunting Kansas for many years to come so i want to get something i will enjoy and not wish i should of spent the extra X amount and got something better

I got the cva buckhorn as a beginner rifle for washington never really shot it past 75 yards

Well heres the deal, my buddy has a austin & halleck so that is what I'm trying to work up a load for right now, i just ordered a parker ballistic extreme 275 & 300's to see what shoots better,
i plan on using 209 primers and i already have some winchester 209s so i hope those will work
as far as powder i was told that blackthorn 209 is a good powder and to use between 100-115 grains, but powder is a pain to find right now

so my thoughts are we will have one gun if it shoots good and then i was going to get one as well so we each have a gun

i will for sure look into the knight disc rifles they look slick
<=====<<<

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:08:34 AM »
209's are not legal for Washington only percussion and musket cap :tup:

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »
Correct, but he is intending on hunting Kansas with it.  If not intending to use it here also I wouldn't worry about buying something that is legal here.  Plus there are quite a few Muzzleloaders that you can buy the western kits for later on to make it legal here.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
Correct, but he is intending on hunting Kansas with it.  If not intending to use it here also I wouldn't worry about buying something that is legal here.  Plus there are quite a few Muzzleloaders that you can buy the western kits for later on to make it legal here.
Wow i guess my reading skills were lacking  :chuckle:

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »
Wow i guess my reading skills were lacking  :chuckle:
:chuckle:
Happens to the best of us.

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
Go with the spirit of the sport and get a traditional gun. They shoot as well as plastic anyway.  (Personal opinion obviously). My flintlock has killed 3 elk and a bunch of deer , they taste better seasoned with charcoal powder anyway.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline oneshot12

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSMA ,NMLRA, NRA
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
    :dunno you may want to look around and  see what is most available in caliber you want to shoot before you get one   54 cal stuff is getting harder to come by in most sporting stores   . 50 cal is pretty easy to get  and so is 45 cal  stuff   some places do have a hard time getting and keeping #11 caps  so have a good look around to be on the safe side or know places you can get the supplies you may need or want . :twocents:

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »
    :dunno you may want to look around and  see what is most available in caliber you want to shoot before you get one   54 cal stuff is getting harder to come by in most sporting stores   . 50 cal is pretty easy to get  and so is 45 cal  stuff   some places do have a hard time getting and keeping #11 caps  so have a good look around to be on the safe side or know places you can get the supplies you may need or want . :twocents:

I like your avatar.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline et1702

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:26 AM »
Go with the spirit of the sport and get a traditional gun. They shoot as well as plastic anyway.  (Personal opinion obviously). My flintlock has killed 3 elk and a bunch of deer , they taste better seasoned with charcoal powder anyway.

Or make your own Old-time in-line.  In-lines have been around since the mid 1800's (i.e., Underhammer rifles).  I've been slowly building a 50cal w/modern twist barrel 1:28.  Plus, I've recently purchased a 62cal barrel w/Forsyth rifling; 1:96 twist rate.  Nothing like whacking one w/a ML you built yourself!

ET

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101