collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: lighted nocks/ P&Y  (Read 6533 times)

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
lighted nocks/ P&Y
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:29:26 AM »
Lighted Nocks for bowhunting
Lighted nocks are one of the most important advancements in archery equipment over the past decade. They allow hunters to locate arrows after a shot, which greatly assists in shot analysis and blood-trailing efforts. (Deer & Deer Hunting photo)

As a result of changes to the Pope and Young Club’s By-laws that passed a vote of the Board of Directors and passed ratification by the voting membership, standard lighted nocks and bow-mounted cameras will be exempted from the “no electronics attached to the bow or arrow” rule.

Since the late 1980s, Pope and Young has had bowhunting equipment definitions and Rules of Fair Chase that state “no electronics attached to the bow or arrow.” This is part of the P&Ys By-laws constitution and governs the acceptability of animals into the Club’s Records Program.

“I was pleased to see such a large percentage of our voting members chose to change our by-laws to allow lighted nocks and bow mounted cameras,” says Jim Willems, President of the Pope & Young Club. “It is generally accepted that such equipment does not aid in harvesting an animal and can actually enhance the overall hunting experience. It’s good to get the issue behind us and move on to other important matters.”

This change is the result of much internal discussion and debate. The exemptions read as follows:

RULES OF FAIR CHASE #7: [Not] by the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game, or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached, with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow.

DEFINITION OF A HUNTING BOW, EXCLUSIONS #2: Electronic or battery-powered devices shall not be attached to a hunting bow, with the exception of recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow.

DEFINITION OF A HUNTING ARROW, EXCLUSIONS #1: No electronic or battery-powered devices shall be attached to the arrow, with the exception of lighted nocks.

“Fair Chase bowhunting is at the top of the list for the Pope and Young Club. Recently the Club’s membership voted to allow lighted nocks and bow mounted recording devices, changing a longstanding rule of no bow mounted electronic devices for an entry into the Club’s Records Program,” says Ed Fanchin, Records Chairman for the Pope & Young Club. “This rule change does not in any way change the definition of Fair Chase bowhunting, nor does it assist the bowhunter with taking an animal. The integrity of the Records Program must always be maintained and is not compromised with this rule change. The Pope and Young Club has a responsibility to protect the primitive aspects of bowhunting and at the same time we must also embrace change.”

A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: lighted nocks/ P&Y
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
Interesting.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 06:41:01 AM »
 :tup:
now if only the state will adopt this same policy with cameras (lighted knocks are already in).
 how does a camera help you shoot better? I think its a matter of time and it will be legal.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
 100% for lighted nocks but still on the fence for cameras.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »
now if only the state will adopt this same policy with cameras (lighted knocks are already in).
 how does a camera help you shoot better? I think its a matter of time and it will be legal.
I've been thinking about your comments for a while, and I'll give my personal opinion on it.  Some equipment regulations are in place to help control harvest, and some are in place to control public perception.  Projected lasers from a rifle are not allowed to control both harvest rates and poaching prevention.  Automatic rifles are not allowed to control public perception.

Lighted nocks affect neither harvest rates nor perceptions, so they were allowed.  Cameras wouldn't affect harvest rates; they could have an affect on public perception because the video of an arrow hitting an elk in a field in Enumclaw would show up on youtube and eventually King5 News when it hit wrong and resulted in a wounding shot.  Yes, those videos are possible now with a regular camera and a CamStrap (I use one, myself).  WDFW has no control over those videos, but keeping them off bows they do have control over.  Therefore, I don't see cameras making it in as another exception.  Plus, we don't really need another line item exception in the rules; they are complicated enough already.  If enough people lobby WDFW for the use of cameras, then yes, it would change, but I don't see that happening either.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
I've been thinking about your comments for a while, and I'll give my personal opinion on it.  Some equipment regulations are in place to help control harvest, and some are in place to control public perception.  Projected lasers from a rifle are not allowed to control both harvest rates and poaching prevention.  Automatic rifles are not allowed to control public perception.

Lighted nocks affect neither harvest rates nor perceptions, so they were allowed.  Cameras wouldn't affect harvest rates; they could have an affect on public perception because the video of an arrow hitting an elk in a field in Enumclaw would show up on youtube and eventually King5 News when it hit wrong and resulted in a wounding shot.  Yes, those videos are possible now with a regular camera and a CamStrap (I use one, myself).  WDFW has no control over those videos, but keeping them off bows they do have control over.  Therefore, I don't see cameras making it in as another exception.  Plus, we don't really need another line item exception in the rules; they are complicated enough already.  If enough people lobby WDFW for the use of cameras, then yes, it would change, but I don't see that happening either.

I have no problem with the video being used and influencing public perception either way. What concerns me is the possibility of using the camera as a viewer while aiming. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 05:27:50 PM »
I have a problem with dealing them when we have so many other harvest type issues on our plate.  Let's let the gadgets rest this term and focus all attention on the seasons.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Wasnt  one of the big selling points of keeping illumnated knocks illegal in this state the fact that P&Y didn't accept them?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »
I have a problem with dealing them when we have so many other harvest type issues on our plate.  Let's let the gadgets rest this term and focus all attention on the seasons.
:yeah:

Offline Rider

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/bryan.lipscy
  • Groups: KCBS
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »
 :yeah: What popeshawnpaul said.

Seems like a waste of time fighting to get electronic gizmos on what is supposed to be a primitive weapon when there are much more significant issues facing bow hunters.
Bryan Lipscy
Ride Hard - Love Often
2012 PSE Brute X compound bow

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »
I agree.  Even though the fights are at different times and venues, it's not worth expending political capital that we've been working hard to cultivate on things that won't affect the majority of bowhunters.  Seasons affect all of us, but rules only affect those who want to let it affect them.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline Buckrub

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »
All the electronic gizmos won't help if one doesn't win the lottery draw for a good hunt....thanks whorehauser.
Swamp buck Hunter

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg