collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What WSB is Working on More Specifically  (Read 13625 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: What WSB is Working on More Specifically
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
:yeah: It always started on the 20th. Rifle didnt lose any rut days and as it stands now they have a better season than archery for late whitetails. Whats crap is there are no late whitey tags in 127 or other southern units, but yet its not open to hunt. The late tags up north for 4 days are a load of crap for us archers to lose the BEST part of the late archery season.
:yeah:

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
Are there any issues you will collaborating with the WSAA and the Trad archery Org? I think that the state hears us when the Archery Orgs speak together.

Thankyou for the hard work you do!  :tup:

We have an Archery Coalition with the 3 groups and work together.   :tup:

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »
Ren (WSAA) and I (WSB) have been working hard to move the elk season later in September like it was more historically.  I personally have worked on this issue for years now.  We are close to getting the season to start the first Saturday after the holiday so the season would be Sept 12-23 this year.  Let's hope for adoption of this proposal and the fruition of our hard work on this issue.

If you like this new season, we would appreciate your support at WSB.  There are reasons we have this organization and this is the payoff for archers. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »
 :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »
Ren is a great guy and you guys are doing yoemans work!  :tup:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 10:44:01 PM »
We support you Shawn.  Great to hear it is getting close to the finish line for the start date but am I reading that correctly and seeing that we are losing another day?!?  Down from 13 to 12?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »
We support you Shawn.  Great to hear it is getting close to the finish line for the start date but am I reading that correctly and seeing that we are losing another day?!?  Down from 13 to 12?

We gave up our 13th day about 6 years ago when we went from Sept. 8-21 to 8-20.  The day was given up as part of resource allocation to get the muzzleloader allocation inline with modern firearm and archery.  Since then, muzzleloader allocation is substantially up and will need to be addressed if all the recent changes don't bring allocation back in line.  In addition, we are worried about the 21 new units now open to muzzleloader.  The theory is opening more units will spread people out but not increase success.  With the muzzy allocation already high, I'm fearful of this drastic change.  However, the allocation is all relative to the amount of hunters and the success of the other user groups.  If MF and archery are more successful, it may all even out.  I believe we will have to tweak it quite a bit next year.

Keep in mind our seasons have been 5-17, 4-16, 6-18.  Going to Sept 12-23 will be a drastic improvement in cooler weather, hopefully more woods will be open from fire danger, bulls will bugle more, and your season will be more enjoyable.  We did not see a drop in archery success when we went from Sept 8-21 to the floating start on Monday following Labor day when it was 4-16, etc. so I don't expect much more success but I think it will be a better season for archers.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
What WSB is Working on More Specifically
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
I know we gave up the 14th day and went to 13.  8-20 is 13 days.  Count them on your fingers.  ;). The 12th to the 23rd is only 12 days.  Again count your fingers.  Did you mean to type the 12th to 24th???

So we really have to give up another day to get something back that we had before???

I agree the later start is better but per the resource allocation you mentioned the list day will reduce archery harvest further!

Again appreciate the hard work you are putting in.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
I know we gave up the 14th day and went to 13.  8-20 is 13 days.  Count them on your fingers.  ;). The 12th to the 23rd is only 12 days.  Again count your fingers.  Did you mean to type the 12th to 24th???

So we really have to give up another day to get something back that we had before???

I agree the later start is better but per the resource allocation you mentioned the list day will reduce archery harvest further!

Again appreciate the hard work you are putting in.

Sorry, my counting and math is off!  There is a reason why I'm an attorney and not a structural engineer.   :chuckle:  You are correct in your math.  Last year our season was Sept 2-14.  This season it should be the same number of days but they will start on Saturday the 12th to the 24th. 

I would love our extra day back and if we don't kill too many, we may get it and more.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
Phew!  Thanks for
Clarifying!

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Peskadot

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »
Hello,

New to Washington and was looking into what the WSB was all about and what the organization has done for the bow hunting community in "Recent" years. I am not a member yet, still deciding.. However, the link under "About" just brings up a blank page. Where would I be able to find this info? Thanks

Anything?

So although my post have gone unanswered and ignored so far, I re-read the initial post and noticed that I had to buy a membership before I am able to log into the WSB page and view the "WSB and  WDFW updates" page in order to view what the WSB has done in recent years or what they're working on. Isn't this sort of backwards? I mean, I would love to buy a membership and support this organization, but I would also like to know what the WSB has done in recent years before hand. I would like to know that my money is going into an organization of action before I contribute my hard earned money.  Please help....

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
Just purchased my first membership for 3 years
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
Hello,

New to Washington and was looking into what the WSB was all about and what the organization has done for the bow hunting community in "Recent" years. I am not a member yet, still deciding.. However, the link under "About" just brings up a blank page. Where would I be able to find this info? Thanks

Anything?

So although my post have gone unanswered and ignored so far, I re-read the initial post and noticed that I had to buy a membership before I am able to log into the WSB page and view the "WSB and  WDFW updates" page in order to view what the WSB has done in recent years or what they're working on. Isn't this sort of backwards? I mean, I would love to buy a membership and support this organization, but I would also like to know what the WSB has done in recent years before hand. I would like to know that my money is going into an organization of action before I contribute my hard earned money.  Please help....

We feel there is value in getting detailed information on what is occurring in the various WDFW meetings.  We summarize this information and provide it to our members and this has typically been given to our members in their newsletters but we also have the website.  Many of our newsletters are now online but for one printed copy a year.  The WSB has an advocate there at these meetings and our representative argues for what our members want.  If you would like to be a member then we will listen to your voice as a member and possibly request things on your behalf at the meetings. 

We generally work for increased bowhunting opportunity for our members and the bow hunting community.  I'm happy to answer your questions on this forum whether member or not.  As the representative for WSB, I have advocated for the early archery elk season to be shifted later.  It looks like we may have accomplished this but you never know until you see it in print.

We encourage members to attend our board meetings which are open to the public.  I can provide a few past newsletters that have information on what we have worked on.  The long and short of it is, we work to open more GMU's, lengthen seasons, provide opportunity, argue for equality under resource allocation, and shifting seasons. 

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
Pope Shawn, thank you for all that WSB does, I truly believe the state would F us bowhunters if nobody spoke up.  Is there any plan or discussion  happening to make the archery elk late season non-tag specific? IE: WA able to hunt East and EA able to hunt West.  Don't know if anybody remembers but it was this was in the '80's and early '90's.  Really helped when the Eastside got an early heavy snow and the elk were in the feeding station before the late archery season opened.  Could just decide to stay on the wetside and hunt with  an Eastside tag.  Would hope the Westside hunters would see it as a benefit also on years that there was not much snow. Thanks again, Ken
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand