collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Koenings gone  (Read 3612 times)

Offline yelp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Koenings gone
« on: December 01, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »
Rumor has it....The director of wdfw received a no confidence vote from the F&W commission.  New release coming out says the following....

WDFW director resigns
to pursue new challenges

OLYMPIA— After a decade of leadership in fostering scientific and collaborative management of state natural resources, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Director Jeff Koenings, Ph.D., has announced his resignation, effective Dec. 11.

“In collaboration with many other resource managers and Washington citizens, I’ve accomplished much of what I said I would do when I became director 10 years ago,” Koenings said. “I’m proud of the progress we’ve made in creating a comprehensive, gravel-to-gravel system of stewardship for wild salmon, re-building relationships based on mutual trust with tribal resource co-managers, bringing a scientific focus to state fish and wildlife management and improving the department’s business practices.” 

Most recently, Koenings chaired negotiations on a new, 10-year chinook-harvest agreement under the Pacific Salmon Treaty, requiring British Columbia and Alaska to reduce harvest of Washington chinook by a million fish over the next 10 years. When implemented in 2009, the agreement will return many more wild salmon to state spawning grounds to take advantage of numerous estuary and freshwater habitat-restoration projects throughout the state.

Under Koenings’ leadership, WDFW established many new sustainable fisheries that allow harvest of hatchery-produced fish while sparing wild salmon listed for protection under the federal Endangered Species Act. He also led the department’s participation in a broad effort to reform state hatchery operations to support wild-fish recovery.

Over the past decade, WDFW has acquired more than 109,000 acres of land for the protection of fish and wildlife habitats, ensuring their place in the public lands portfolio for future generations of Washingtonians.

Koenings said he plans to use his knowledge, experience and collaborative approach in ways that benefit national and international fisheries programs that are crucial for sustaining Washington’s fishing industry and its many economic benefits to the state.

“Change is everywhere, and I anticipate opportunities to use these skills in a number of forums,” said Koenings. “Washington lies at the center of the Pacific Coast and, as such, our interests range from southern California to the Bering Sea. In this global economy, the Pacific Rim countries are cooperating to conserve our marine resources as never before, and Washington state is a huge player in those discussions.”

Koenings’ 10-year career as WDFW director was the longest in the department’s history.

"Jeff has admirably served the department and successfully navigated it through some challenging times in the last ten years," stated Gov. Chris Gregoire. "His service is appreciated."

As director, Koenings brought stability to the 1,500-plus employee agency, fostered partnerships with stakeholders, promoted a good-neighbor policy in managing state wildlife lands and secured millions of dollars in federal funding for state fish and wildlife management.

Koenings was appointed WDFW director in January 1999, after working as an Alaska fisheries manager and a special assistant to the commissioner of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. He holds a doctorate in natural resources, a master’s degree in water resources and a bachelor’s degree in fisheries, all from the University of Michigan. 

“The past 10 years have been extraordinary in terms of the diversity of challenges presented to WDFW and its leadership,” Koenings said. “But through it all, conservation of the resource through science-based decision-making has been our standard. I’ve been fortunate to lead an incredible group of talented professionals and they will always have my respect and admiration.”

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:07:48 PM by yelp »
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Koenings gone
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »
Good riddance....and be my guest.....let the door hit you in the ass, head, arm, whatever on the way out!!!!
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline fc2038

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »
I agree. Crap needs to change I just hope we get someone in there that will DO SOME GOOD!! I do not know who but someone needs to GET ER DONE!!! :twocents:

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »
This just out!

OLYMPIA-In a special meeting today, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission voted to accept the resignation of Jeffrey P. Koenings, Ph.D., from his position as director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), effective Dec. 11, and appointed Phil Anderson as interim department director.

Anderson has been the department's deputy director for resource policy since July 2007. Anderson also serves as the department's representative to the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC). In that roles, Anderson heads up the North of Falcon process, which sets annual salmon-fishing seasons for marine waters including Puget Sound and the coast. Anderson is a resident of Westport who joined the WDFW staff in 1994.

The commission, a citizen body appointed by the governor, will begin a nation-wide search for a permanent WDFW director in 2009, according to Jerry Gutzwiler, commission chair.

"The Commission is extremely grateful to Dr. Koenings for his service and contributions as director of the department for the past 10 years," Gutzwiler said

Offline Charlie

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »
I agree. Crap needs to change I just hope we get someone in there that will DO SOME GOOD!! I do not know who but someone needs to GET ER DONE!!!

:tup:
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"

Offline Diehard0123

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:33:41 AM »
Most likely Anderson will end up filling the position full time.  Gregoire already got burnt bad by bringing in Harold Clarke for the DOC secratary from Nebraska.  I think she would rather stick close to home on this one.  Plus the cost of searching the country to hire someone to replace Koening.

Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag

sisu

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
 :IBCOOL:

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »
A new director will be selected by the F&W Commission which was appointed by the Governor.  Gutzwiler the chair is a well known sportsman in the Wenatchee Area...So it would be great to see some proactive director that has some common sense and isn't too focused on fish. 
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
So they just figured out they can make a lot more money on recreational fishermen if they don't give all the fish to the gillnetters?
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »
Does anyone know if a timeline was set for finding a replacement? 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal