collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Hunting Calls  (Read 11004 times)

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
Re: Bear Hunting Calls
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 08:21:58 PM »
Ray,

I'd rather keep my objectivity, and my credibility, and not sell calls here.

That way when you get an answer from me about calls, you'll know it's an honest one, and not a sales pitch.

Selling calls, is NEVER the motivation behind one of my posts, and it never will be.

I've never said or implied that you had motivation from competition about critiqueing calls. However if you had bad experience with someone's calls before you came to this board then that is up to you do deal with. I'd prefer to keep old dirty laundry from another board where it belongs. I think that if someone was utilizing our boards to sell bogus gear then we would certainly have had a consensus about that a long time ago. I have no reason to believe at this time anyone is trying to sell off bad gear here. I am sure you have opinions of your own which are valid concerns but I don't like airing them out here if they didn't happen here. It pretty much breeds a feeling of contempt among the community when that sort of thing occurs.

I kindly accepted to your kind gestures but I will not accept someone trying to point their finger at me to back off because they donated some cash. I can certainly give $ back and settle the score instead of listening to long diatribes trying to bring my credibility and intentions into question. You spend long hours making very nice calls. I spend long hours to keep the board alive.

Now back to bear hunting calls.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »
:)  Sorry Krusty, I was not up on who made the call, I probably have had it for 20+ years.  For bear I probably distort the call anyway since I like a loud gravely coarse call for bear, so I have called the guts out of my 3n1, it doesn't sound anything like when I first got it.  Krusty do you make higher pitch calls or do you make any coarser calls?  Or are the user adjustible?
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 09:38:19 PM »
Sorry about the identity crisis Krusty. Appreciate all the good info. I might just try my turkey diaphram out, see how well I do. Was not aware I could use it for that at all. My norm with it, is just clucking and a "KeeeYOOO"  or "KeeeYOI" sound. Just not sure If I can get it as loud as I need it for a bear.

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »
Ray,

Three sentences, does not make up a long diatribe. ;)
And they were a direct answer to your wish, that I sell calls here.

Money back? Where the heck did that come from?

I dunno, maybe Otto would want HIS money back... that's not my business.
That's between you and Otto, but I'd like to see him keep his call. :)

...Back to calls it is.  :P

Fred,

The Circé calls made in the distant past, like yours, were a cut above those re-produced today.
Like my dad likes to say "They don't make stuff like this anymore".

I make a call that sounds like a jackrabbit being dragged down a dirt road.  8)
That coarse enough?
That same call can make extremely high pitch whines and chirps.
They are open reed calls, with a unique double-stacked lexan reed, and are "user adjustable" on the fly.

VxBoi,

Crisis what crisis. ;) 

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it. I apologize for letting it knock me off center.

You should be able to get some serious volume from a diaphragm call, many predator callers use them for extreme range and windy conditions.

Something about "not holding your mouth so closed, and letting the sound out"?

I dunno, all I can sound like is Snoopy, on his leash, gagging and choking... until I spit the thing out.

On the topic of bear calls, this is something that has been discussed among call makers several times, call body shape;

Bears have incredible ability to process sound, and a big brain to do it with.
Fred's javelina call, and Rick's honey pots, play into this.

By having a large, highly resonant, and hollow sounding bell chamber a call can make a more realistic sound.
This can be created or exagerated  by using your hands to form a large, well sealed "cup" around the call, increasing that internal volume.
This is especially true for cub bawls, and hog squaller, sounds, and makes these excellent choices for the hand caller.

Spotting and calling is the best way to learn, and to harvest called bears.
Call gently at first, and don't be forceful, but escalate the urgency if needed.
Be prepared to change sounds, and to wait for a bears easily diverted attention to return.
You calling sound might carry as far as a mile, that's a big circle, it can take a while for a bear in a fat berry patch to make it to the middle of it.

Krusty
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 08:12:29 AM »
The only word of advice I would offer on using a diaphragm for distress is that you can get winded pretty quick.  Continuous calling for bears is the standard operating procedure to most everyone who has done it.  You will want a call that is easy to blow for long periods of time. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »
The only word of advice I would offer on using a diaphragm for distress is that you can get winded pretty quick.  Continuous calling for bears is the standard operating procedure to most everyone who has done it.  You will want a call that is easy to blow for long periods of time.   

I agree!

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »
I totally agree guys, that you can get winded pretty quick using a diaphragm call.

You also can get winded pretty quick with a hard driving open reed call too... especially if you make a "breathy" sound, with every breath.
Calling from your diaphragm, for a long time, makes you winded, not (necessarily) the call you do it with.

Elk chirps, turkey clucks, woodpecker distress, super chicken, puppies, and kittens, and more... these sounds are done with very little to no lung pressure, and can be done for hours on end.
Trust me, I ride in the truck with my brother and his diaphragm calls.

I can make a few sounds come OUT of a call, while I am breathing in through my nose. A puff of your cheeks is often enough to drive a call. ;)

An open reed call with a soft reed, a 'closed reed call, and even a diaphragm call, can be used for long periods of time, if used right.

Yeah, wailing jackrabbit distress, a wild bear cub bawl, or skanky bobcat in heat, that will make your gut burn and your head swim, after a while. (*And for "beginners" like the person I am offering my advice to, this happens really fast, until they build up the "lungs" for it... calling for hours, is the only thing that can make it so you can call for hours without being winded)

Spotting and calling is the best way to learn, and to harvest called bears.
Call gently at first, and don't be forceful, but escalate the urgency if needed.

If you want to non-stop "broadcast call" your bear stands... they make a really really neat call for that.

They're called e-callers. :chuckle:

Krusty

P.S. Only one of the dozen or so bears I have called was done so by non-stop bear cub bawls... the rest have come to typical stop and go predator stands, except one that came charging out of the trees onto the powerline right of way, when I was locating turkeys.
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
Yeah when I say continuous I typically mean a series of sound with a short, maybe 30 second pause, to catch your breath. 

E-callers are great tools, if you have the money to shell out for one.  I wouldn't use one without a remote that allows you to shut it on and off and control the volume.  Plus they take up more space if you are backpacking in somewhere.  Always have one or two back-up hand calls in case something goes wrong with your ecaller.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]