collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multi Season Deer Tag "Muzzleloader"  (Read 4059 times)

Offline GameHunter1959

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Multi Season Deer Tag "Muzzleloader"
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:29:17 AM »
I bought my Multi Season Deer tag, and would like to try and kill a deer with a Muzzleloader. I have ZERO knowledge. I have never shot one before.

Can anyone give me some advice on, which gun to purchase, the loads, etc. ?

I typically purchase top of the line or close to it. I have an above average budget to put towards the purchase.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
Re: Multi Season Deer Tag "Muzzleloader"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:08:51 AM »
I'm partial to Knight (have 2 Bighorns)

Which ever one you choose, make sure it is NW legal

I'm sure Sabotloader will chime in soon.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:18:28 AM by usmc74 »

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:25:19 AM »
If money is no object get a Knight Ultralite and Williams front and rear sights.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:50:46 AM »
 I put peeps on my Bighorn last year. For me they felt great when I was target shooting. But I was really frustrated with them when hunting the brush. They just hid too much of the animal and or surrounding area.

On 1 hunt last year pulled up on elk 3 times and had to forego the shot because of this. I feel that with regular open sights I could have taken any of those 3 shots. Taking the peeps of and going back to open sights this year.

I will be putting the peeps up for sale later on. They are Knight stainless. But I think they are exactly the same as the Williams peep sight.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »
Tagging for info.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
I've had my knight for 2 years and shot 2 bucks. Both on opening days with one shot each. I'm using the original sights. Work great for me!

Offline Lefty315

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Since you're in Graham, head down to Big J's in Orting.   He usually has a few Knights in stock and his prices are usually on par with anyone else.   If he was more expensive you'd probably waste the money in gas vs what you'd save.

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
Since you're in Graham, head down to Big J's in Orting.   He usually has a few Knights in stock and his prices are usually on par with anyone else.   If he was more expensive you'd probably waste the money in gas vs what you'd save.

Great advice and thank you. I will go there.

Last year I got drawn for Multi Season deer, but I didn't buy the tag. I wanted too, but the guys at Cabelas and Sportsman Warehouse were not exactly freindly or very willing to help. They were cocky and gave very vague information. I said the heck with it. Ended up shooting a buck during the modern season on opening day. I told myself this year I'm gonna learn and get after it.

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »
If money is no object get a Knight Ultralite and Williams front and rear sights.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the specifics.

Money is always an object, but I figure if I am gonna invest in a gun, I might as well get something higher end. It will probably be the last gun I ever purchase. I have a Remington 30-06 and a Remington 7mm. Those are the only 2 guns I own, outside of a few shot guns that rarely get used. I thought about buying a 300 weather bee, but I have 2 great rifles already. I guess I am supersticious when it comes to hunting.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 02:27:40 PM »

Last year I got drawn for Multi Season deer, but I didn't buy the tag. I wanted too, but the guys at Cabelas and Sportsman Warehouse were not exactly freindly or very willing to help. They were cocky and gave very vague information. I said the heck with it. Ended up shooting a buck during the modern season on opening day. I told myself this year I'm gonna learn and get after it.

Which Sportsmen's Warehouse? I bought a Knight at the Fed Way store years ago and the guy who helped me was nice and informative. They usually have several manufacturers guns on hand so you can compare side by side. I started with a Knight Bighorn but now shoot a Traditions Vortek. The CVA Accura is also worth checking out.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »

Which Sportsmen's Warehouse? I bought a Knight at the Fed Way store years ago and the guy who helped me was nice and informative. They usually have several manufacturers guns on hand so you can compare side by side. I started with a Knight Bighorn but now shoot a Traditions Vortek. The CVA Accura is also worth checking out.

Puyallup store. They only carry 2 guns to choose from. Sportsman Warehouse went through some major changes. Federal Way was sold off, along with like 50 other locations. They had some financial issues from trying to grow to quickly. I heard they are actively trying to buy back several of the stores they sold off; now that they got their finances back in order. Those locations are now called "Wholesale Outfitters". I will Federal Way and see what they got. Thanks you

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »

Puyallup store. They only carry 2 guns to choose from. Sportsman Warehouse went through some major changes. Federal Way was sold off, along with like 50 other locations. They had some financial issues from trying to grow to quickly. I heard they are actively trying to buy back several of the stores they sold off; now that they got their finances back in order. Those locations are now called "Wholesale Outfitters". I will Federal Way and see what they got. Thanks you

The Fed Way store is back to a Sportsmen's Warehouse. You could also check out Sportco in Fife. They have a few different guns but they are lacking in the accessory department. Cabelas doesn't carry Knight and half there guns aren't even Wa legal.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
What is legal vs not legal?

I believe no scope is 1 regulation?

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 05:48:28 PM »
What is legal vs not legal?

I believe no scope is 1 regulation?

Your gun must have an open breech (exposed to the elements.) Guns that shoot a 209 primers are not considered "open breech." Your gun will either need to shoot musket or #11 caps. Your gun must also have open sights, no scopes. Fiber optic beads, iron sights and peep sights are ok. Guns that are or have a NW legal kit include Knight Bighorn, Disc Extreme and Ultalite. Traditions Vortek NW Magnum. CVA Accura, Buckhorn, Elkhorn Pro to name a few. There are many others including a variety of flintlocks but I'm not familiar with those. I'm an inline guy myself.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline SeeThru1987

• Pilgrim
  • shhh...wait for it
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
im new at it too, what i did was buy a few books about muzzleloading  i feel competent enough to fire one, but im sure they would help you out as well.
 :hello:
30-06 100ATR
.308 H&R
.223 Axis
.357 Taurus model 65
.50 cal Knight Bighorn
.50 cal Knight Carbon Knight Bighorn

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal