collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any suggestions for a fishing charter out of Depoe Bay Oregon this next week?  (Read 7890 times)

Offline Greenhorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
It is a $1/fish for bottom fish and $1/crab to have it cooked and cleaned.   Everything is cash only to the cleaner.  Sounds like you had a great summer job and work ethic.  Now they use some of the carcasses for the charter crab pots and then the rest they load out on a dead head trip to dump off shore.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Reviving an old thread here, with the weather being as hot as it has been I decided to go to the coast Saturday-This morning.  Went to Depoe Bay because I am slightly familiar with the area, did the 8 Hr. combo for Salmon and Rockfish. I was on the TackleBuster. while we only caught 4 coho of which 2 were keepers, 13 of us limited out on rock fish. I think only 3 Keeper Lings were caught. All in all I think it was a good experience but I think next time Ill just go for bottom fish and skip the salmon fishing.
Modify to add: This is the 2nd time I have fished with the "tacklebuster" crew although this is a different boat then the old one. I had 2 bacon maple bars from the place next to tradewinds while I waited to get on the boat. 
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Greenhorn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
Cool JJB11B!  I just got back from being down there for a few days again this year.  I just missed you.  I took my nephew out for the 5 hour bottom fishing and crabbing on Friday.  The weather was amazing all week except for the day we went out.  It was foggy and windy and rough.  We went out on the Sunrise with Captain Craig and RJ was the deckhand.  We used them last year and were very happy with them.  There were 16 customers on board and not everyone limited.  We caught 13 out of 14 possible black rock fish (seabass),one ling cod was caught and ended up with 5 1/2 crabs per person from 9 pots.  The 10th got caught in the prop while being pulled and ended up being cut off and lost.  It was tough fishing because of the rough weather and 4 of the 16 didn't fish at all because they were sick and chumming for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:23:21 PM by Greenhorn »
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
I always get a kick out of Depoe Bay charter skippers wanting to be referred to as "Captain". :rolleyes:

That boat has always produced an exceptional amount of vomit.  Between the Volvos and the hull design it really gets to folks with limited open water experience.  Used to be the fastest motor boat in the fleet, though.  Meant more fishing time!

Only one ling...my how things have changed!!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
Dangit guys, read through this whole thread and now all I can think about is a piece of that pie :bash:

"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
I live in a perpetual "Betty's Pie" jones.  Few days ever go by that I'm not thinking about her pie :chuckle:  Was sure nice when it was only a ten minute drive!

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
I really enjoy having a couple Hefe's and the 4 piece cod and chips at Gracie's Sea Hag when I am in town. I get grumpy when I miss out on that tradition. I also enjoy going to Mo's in Lincoln City when I am in town. Here are a few things I really want to do there but never have,
1.Fish Siletz bay
2. Fish Devils Lake
3. Go out on a superbly successful tuna trip.
I have been out on a Tuna trip before but we did very poorly... I do not remember what boat we were on but we booked with Dockside charters, all the other boats caught 30-40 fish, we caught 8.... :dunno:
Shane Falco

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
I really enjoy having a couple Hefe's and the 4 piece cod and chips at Gracie's Sea Hag when I am in town. I get grumpy when I miss out on that tradition. I also enjoy going to Mo's in Lincoln City when I am in town. Here are a few things I really want to do there but never have,
1.Fish Siletz bay
2. Fish Devils Lake
3. Go out on a superbly successful tuna trip.
I have been out on a Tuna trip before but we did very poorly... I do not remember what boat we were on but we booked with Dockside charters, all the other boats caught 30-40 fish, we caught 8.... :dunno:

1 - Siletz Bay was my back yard.  Fishing is terrible unless you want crab or perch.  Both very good at certain times of the year.  If wanting to fish salmon you will have better luck between the movie house and Chinook Bend.

2 - Devils Lake has some good bass fishing.  BUT...it is still bass fishing :rolleyes:

3 - Vast majority of the charters out of Depoe Bay and Newport are complete amatures when it comes to tuna.  When I was in Depoe Bay most of the skippers couldn't even get enough license to fish blue water.  And only a few boats had enough speed to make blue water and back.  We had 100 fish days and we also had two fish days.  I can not remember any other skippers in Depoe during that time that ever caught more then a dozen.  Sunrise would be a good tuna boat if little Craig has acquired the knowledge.  Due to currents I would chose Westport or Ilwaco over Newport or Depoe bay if I wanted a good tuna trip.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Thank you for that info, Where would you go if you were looking for some good Lings?
Shane Falco

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
Thank you for that info, Where would you go if you were looking for some good Lings?

Charter, private boat or fishing off the rocks?  What time of year?  Big lings, eating lings or quantity of lings?

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Charter, I don't have a seaworthy boat or any saltwater gear, as far as lings goes I was thinking bigger lings and eating lings
Shane Falco

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal