collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do we get back Sept 8-21 season?  (Read 41599 times)

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: How do we get back Sept 8-21 season?
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
Russ, maybe if you were to switch the muzzleloader and modern, so that modern is in October, and muzzleloader is in November.

Although I really don't have any issue with the way the seasons are now.
Honestly I don't either but I am just throwing out a change that would benefit everyone.  If you talking taking the modern elk and deer and moving them to October.  That would put modern in the tale end of the elk rut correct.  Of course depending on the weather that year.  Wouldn't mind that.  Things can always be tweaked but I think that giving everyone 3 weekends to hunt would make all happy what ever time they hunt.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2014, 12:43:28 PM »
Modern deer season is 21 days this year, plus 12 days for late whitetail and 4 days for late blacktail.

So with 16 days for modern deer, you'd basically be cutting the number of days in half.

Not likely to go over well with the majority of hunters.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
An additional 100 fps second doesn't turn a 30 yard weapon into a 300 yard weapon.  It turns a 200fps/30 yard weapon into a 300fps/40 yard weapon.  Only thing that has extended the effectiveness of modern archery equipment has been the laser rangefinder.  Which coincidently has extended the effectiveness of the modern firearm at the same time.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline snowpack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
Russ, maybe if you were to switch the muzzleloader and modern, so that modern is in October, and muzzleloader is in November.

I thought you wanted permit only?

Really only ways I could see to allow as much 'opportunity' as russ wants would be to change *something* that would keep the overall harvest where WDFW could keep the herds how they like them.  Ex:  More antler point restrictions would lower harvest, so a longer season would allow the same number for harvest.  Predator reduction to allow herd increase.  Massive logging spree to make habitat to increase herds.  Equipment regulation to lower harvest to allow for longer seasons.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »

I wouldn't mind seeing more permit only seasons/units and less general seasons, where it makes sense.

But if we're going to have general seasons like we have now, I don't see a reason for a major change in the way they're set up.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
An additional 100 fps second doesn't turn a 30 yard weapon into a 300 yard weapon.  It turns a 200fps/30 yard weapon into a 300fps/40 yard weapon.  Only thing that has extended the effectiveness of modern archery equipment has been the laser rangefinder.  Which coincidentally has extended the effectiveness of the modern firearm at the same time.

That is a salient bit of logic. 

Another factor that non-bowhunters tend to glaze over is that it is much more difficult to obtain a responsible shooting lane and to get into position with archery equipment.

I've hunted modern rifle and muzzleloader both.  Safety off, boom.  Maybe a short stalk to get within range or a better angle.

The effort into getting an archery animal is like six rifle seasons combined.

I, for one, am very excited for the rotating start date to begin on the 8th next year.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »

Really only ways I could see to allow as much 'opportunity' as russ wants would be to change *something* that would keep the overall harvest where WDFW could keep the herds how they like them.  Ex:  More antler point restrictions would lower harvest, so a longer season would allow the same number for harvest.  Predator reduction to allow herd increase.  Massive logging spree to make habitat to increase herds.  Equipment regulation to lower harvest to allow for longer seasons.
Exactly what I was thinking.  I know it is a far fetched idea but wouldn't it be logical or is it just me that sees that.  :dunno: :chuckle:

Modern deer season is 21 days this year, plus 12 days for late whitetail and 4 days for late blacktail.

So with 16 days for modern deer, you'd basically be cutting the number of days in half.

Not likely to go over well with the majority of hunters.
Can't make everyone happy but if you make it even then it should be a good compromise.  I did forget about those late modern seasons.  I don't see a reason for changing those because they are pretty much on limited GMU's.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
I heard the Saturday after labor was whats being considered.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »
Well as long as everyone is looking for a special season for their particular hunting method why not have a special season for the outfitters and their packer and guides?  After all they spend most of the season taking other hunters in and out of the woods and get very little time to actually hunt when they aren't baby sitting dude hunters.
Now before you start saying I'm whining I don't think it is any different than asking for special season for PW.  I mean come on look at the dates that are already available for the seasons for MZ and archery.
Another and more feasible alternative would be to just issue a license and allow the hunter to use what ever weapon he chooses until he gets his Holy grail of 1 deer/ elk/bear per season.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:32:34 AM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
Well as long as everyone is looking for a special season for their particular hunting method why not have a special season for the outfitters and their packer and guides?  After all they spend most of the season taking other hunters in and out of the woods and get very little time to actually hunt when they aren't baby sitting dude hunters.
Now before you start saying I'm whining I don't think it is any different than asking for special season for PW.  I mean come on look at the dates that are already available for the seasons for MZ and archery.
Another and more feasible alternative would be to just issue a license and allow the hunter to use what ever weapon he chooses until he gets his Holy grail of 1 deer/ elk/bear per season.

Not everyone is looking for a special season. The archery season has been too early and way too hot to avoid loss of meat. Although I wasn't asking for a change, this one makes sense. And as far as a different season for guides? There are no special seasons for people whose occupations keep them from hunting when they want. When I was in aviation and archery came during show season, that was my choice and my problem. If people choose to be guides, that's their choice and their problem. It's a whole different story. It's the same with guys who own archery shops or sporting goods stores. If you don't like missing the hunting seasons, find another line of work. I did.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »

Washington isnt selling an animal it's selling the opportunity to hunt an animal...this let's them allow many more people to hunt an there fore make more money

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »

Not everyone is looking for a special season. The archery season has been too early and way too hot to avoid loss of meat. Although I wasn't asking for a change, this one makes sense. And as far as a different season for guides? There are no special seasons for people whose occupations keep them from hunting when they want. When I was in aviation and archery came during show season, that was my choice and my problem. If people choose to be guides, that's their choice and their problem. It's a whole different story. It's the same with guys who own archery shops or sporting goods stores. If you don't like missing the hunting seasons, find another line of work. I did.
I could agree too early for getting good rut activity and not enough time to let the woods calm down after the labor day partiers, but the difference in temperature I can't see being a degree or two, and difference in daylight being more than a minute.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
I'd have to disagree, Jimmy. The weather definitely makes a big change around the second-third week of September, including rain and temp drop. Almost every year.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal