collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How WA Archery Elk Compares to ID  (Read 21370 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: How WA Archery Elk Compares to ID
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
They need to put the early season back to Sept. 8th - 21st. This will keep more hunters here in WA. Right now archers are going to other states (I'm going to Idaho) because their chances of taking a bull are higher because of the ability to hunt in late September.

:yeah:  Personally this would be a major step in competing for my dollars.  Currently, the only reason I spend any money here is that Im pretty deep in the points game, and its cheaper than out of state points. I am sure there are others in a similar boat. The big kicker for me on the westside though has been the Timber Company Permits. I would need to spend 6 to 700 dollars in permits, to access my best areas and still dont know that it would be as productive as the "good ole days" of walk in only. Add in the timber company attitude and the poor season timing and its a no brainer to go out of state.

Offline Pueblo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:39 AM »
I think another aspect of the difference is less quantitative and more qualitative: When I think about a GREAT elk hunt I think big mountains, relatively open forests, mediocre pressure, but most importantly the chance to shoot the biggest bull that might show up.  In Washington to have this experience you pretty much have to pull a Blue Mountains special permit or maybe one for the upper Tieton and Naches drainages.  The westside hunting can have some of these features, like the ability to shoot a big bull, but it's generally jungle warfare and there are a lot of other guys out there.  I've hunted the Blues a number of times, usually in a spike only unit; I've had about 15 bulls in bow range and none have been spikes, so although it's fun, it's more like wildlife viewing than hunting.

In Idaho (and Oregon) you can buy an OTC tag, do your homework and have a good hunt that allows you to have a really good chance at taking a branch antlered bull in an awesome sunny, mountainous environment.  Many many choices to pick from spreads out the pressure. I've killed 2 elk in Oregon in little arid mountain ranges where nobody seems to go; Idaho has lots of these opportunities.  It may be that you have to work really hard at it, but it's available to all.  Every place in WA I can think of that has these characteristics  has the big bulls reserved for the fortunate few who draw tags.

I've tried some fringe areas where west meets east up in the cascades where a guy might butt up against the controlled eastern units but harvest a big bull under western regulations, and I've seen some great success photos from there, but I've generally found that these areas are hit very hard by hunters on horseback as this zone is VERY small in the scheme of things and people tend to concentrate.

My personal desire for WA would be to stop giving out the general spike/cow tags for the great units and instead go permit only and triple the any bull tags. We'd stop seeing the 400 inch monsters that the raffle tag winners get, but 3 times as many guys would have great hunts each year and still take some nice bulls.
Wish I could earn a living hunting!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
How WA Archery Elk Compares to ID
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
My personal desire for WA would be to stop giving out the general spike/cow tags for the great units and instead go permit only and triple the any bull tags. We'd stop seeing the 400 inch monsters that the raffle tag winners get, but 3 times as many guys would have great hunts each year and still take some nice bulls.

:yeah:   

And I'd take that even one step further- permit only elk hunting for the entire state. There are simply too many hunters for the number of elk this state has.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »

And I'd take that even one step further- permit only elk hunting for the entire state. There are simply too many hunters for the number of elk this state has.
That would certainly boost Idaho's tag sales.... :chuckle:

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »

What about permit only for the whole state for elk but not just for branched bulls? Increase the branched tags in some units but then offer other permits such as spike, cow, three point minimum etc. This would not only allow for some more hunter opportunity but allow the state to still manage each unit individually to try and hit desired numbers, ratios and stability. 
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Pueblo

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »

What about permit only for the whole state for elk but not just for branched bulls? Increase the branched tags in some units but then offer other permits such as spike, cow, three point minimum etc. This would not only allow for some more hunter opportunity but allow the state to still manage each unit individually to try and hit desired numbers, ratios and stability.

Yes.....something creative like that.  Our people/land/elk ratios don't accommodate high tag numbers, but we certainly could stand to have some cow hunting. Look at the Nevada mule deer model.  Enough tags so that most people can hunt every other year or so but the hunt quality is quite good.  Yes....Idaho would sell more non-res tags!
Wish I could earn a living hunting!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

Yes.....something creative like that.  Look at the Nevada mule deer model.  Enough tags so that most people can hunt every other year or so
Are you listening to yourself? To Hades with that! I don't want to wait years to go hunting!
Bruce Vandervort

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »

Yes.....something creative like that.  Look at the Nevada mule deer model.  Enough tags so that most people can hunt every other year or so
Are you listening to yourself? To Hades with that! I don't want to wait years to go hunting!
Then you must never put in for special permits :chuckle:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »
Enough with all this special permit drivel!  Open up a lot more not less areas and lengthen the seasons.  You will have far more areas and wkend to spread the hunting pressure out.  Trust me that is why I buy an Idaho tag.  Longer seasons always reduce pressure.  Duh!

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 01:10:58 AM »
Enough with all this special permit drivel!  Open up a lot more not less areas and lengthen the seasons.  You will have far more areas and wkend to spread the hunting pressure out.  Trust me that is why I buy an Idaho tag.  Longer seasons always reduce pressure.  Duh!

I agree with this. More areas means more opportunity for more hunters and less pressure/compitition. And let early archery run the middle of Sep or later.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline BABackcountryBwhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA,CCA,RMEF,WSA,NFAA....
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »
They need to put the early season back to Sept. 8th - 21st. This will keep more hunters here in WA. Right now archers are going to other states (I'm going to Idaho) because their chances of taking a bull are higher because of the ability to hunt in late September.

I also want longer seasons, but if you are in a good area and decent at hunting then with the current seasons you should have no issue getting a chance at a bull. I am no pro but I have had shots at bulls the last 6 years. every year I have had numerous chances and am into elk 95% of the time. I hunted 11 days this year. I saw elk 10 of those and never once saw another hunter. My wife arrowed a bull, my buddy killed one the same day one timber ridge up.. and I had 4 chances and missed a nice 5x5.

Offline elk247

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »

Then you must never put in for special permits :chuckle:
Why would someone? You guys are saying have special permits to allow for cow, spike and branched bull harvests. We already have that now. Its called OTC. The only valid point I've heard so far is that the state will then be able to manage individual heards better. If they had a antlerless harvest say every 2-4 years in the 3+ units and additional bull harvests when there are too many bulls in a antlerless and spike unit to set the ratio straight elk hunting would improve across the state. To put it simply they can do all this already, they choose not to or believe that the elk are already being managed as well as can be expected. Bull to cow ratio=better genetics=healthy herd=better opportunity for all=increased revenue for wdfw. Obviously its not this easy because poaching/predator/and native harvest can be difficult to account for and dang near impossable to predict. For all intent and purposes Idaho faces the same issues we have here.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
No comparison in my book. Idaho takes the cake and eats it!!!!
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Buckrub

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 12:55:17 PM »
Look no further than the hunting dates alone...archery gets the month of September. ..no brainer.
Washington is in a death spiral. ..general season spike only is not management. ..the east side deer is 3 point or better. ..have fun waiting 7 years to draw a tag...I'm gone.
Swamp buck Hunter

Offline Buckrub

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 01:03:23 PM »
You want my money?
Open season September elk...all September.
5 point or better east side...3 point better west side.
we have plenty of ground for increased herds...the problem is management. ..the only way to get a bull cow ratio with the current management is to kill cows...Brilliant
Swamp buck Hunter

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull