collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Special Permits  (Read 26168 times)

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
Re: Special Permits
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 10:21:29 AM »
dang, im really getting depressed now.  Come on desert unit.   :)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 10:33:15 AM »
I have nothing on the official opening on the gates. Up by  the ....there is a new Boise sign that says May 1st.  I'm not sure what ties Boise has as I thought that was all game department.  The sign is pointing from the Burg side though.?????

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 02:46:01 PM »
NO special tags for last year, but I did kill my first elk with a bow.

Offline Fletch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 02:13:31 PM »
If I had 10 deer points I would hunt the desert although I live here...talking about areas of concern with the methow and entiat...I wonder how long the desert will hold up with the youth permits now in all three weapons and the regular tags in all three weapons...its obviously doubled the tags...thats alot of bucks out of a relatively small area...The glory days may eventually fade...any opinions?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »
I agree.  I don't think that they should have youth hunts in an area that they are trying to have as a trophy area.  If so, spike only or two point only or somethig like that.  I support youth hunts, but that is not the place.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »
Have you guys seen the success rate for archers in the D unit?  In 2005 they got three bucks and 3 does. I really dont see kids being able to get the drop on a big pig out there. IF the kiddies want to hunt it give em a doe tag for modern.  I think 15 tags a year is plenty for the modern user group.   I dont think archery is effective enough to matter in there.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 03:50:11 PM »
I think they should have some permits in there for the youth, but there opportunity should not be greater than other user groups.

Offline Fletch

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 10:45:42 AM »
I don't know how all of the kids did out there this last year, but I do know that one kid shot a 25 inch buck and I heard of a girl that shot a 25 inch 5 pt with a muzzle loader.  I agree that archery has little impact probably especially for youth.  The youth seasons are earlier so the deer are less pressured but not as easily available as November.  It also depends alot on the group that gets drawn just like adults.  If you have 15 dedicated hunters the mature bucks take a beating, if you have 15 avg joe's they nail the first 18 inch 4pt they see because they dont normally see that during reg season.  The kids success depends alot too on who they have helping them.  just my .02

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »
The kids success depends alot too on who they have helping them.  just my .02

Totally agree.

THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »
I'm certian that kid wouldn't have done as well if they hadn't had an expert guide, or someone to motivate them to achieve better success.  I still think they are playing dangerously with that area.

Offline Fletch

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 01:53:41 PM »
Agreed.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
  This was one of my favorite hunts.  I went after a huge bull.  He was a monster.  I blew it... I had a cow and calf bed down next to me(about 15 feet) and I sat there until I was absolutely frozen(2 hours).  I finally couldn't handle it anymore, and I moved.  the cow blew, and the big boy was just seconds from walking out at 20 yards .  He blew as well.  I was flabbergasted as I listened to them change counties if you know what I mean.  I look down the hill and here is a branch antlered bull.  I don't think I have enough daylight left, but what the heck.  I nailed him right at dark.  I gut him and then climb back up the hill to get my spike camp.  I get out at midnight.  I call Idabooner up and tell him to bring the mules.  The next morning the whole family hikes in, including the 2 year old.  They watched me cut up my elk, and really got into it.  No Dad and mules yet and the sun is getting long.  I go back to the truck and his rig is there.  OH GOD he went th e wrong direction.  About that time here he comes.  We beat it into the woods, manny up the elk and are back out before dark.  That was one successful hunt all the way around.  An adventure the family will never forget.  He wasn't the monster, but by the end of it all, I don't care because my family would have never been able to join me if I had dumped the big one.

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »
My son drew the muzzleloader youth tag  last year. He shot a 22" 4 point. There are more than enough bucks to go around. The big mature bucks are nocturnal in september. In six days we saw 40-50 bucks and he missed two bucks before he connected. I know a 6x4 was killed along with a 4 point and a 2 point. Not one on these bucks were mature bucks (4.5-5.5 years old) We hunted one buck that was a 28" wide 4 point, but never closed the deal. Even he was probably a 3.5 year old buck.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline Fletch

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 01:04:14 PM »
That looks like one happy young man! Do you still have sand and ash in your crack?

Slenk

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »
I have nothing on the official opening on the gates. Up by  the ....there is a new Boise sign that says May 1st.  I'm not sure what ties Boise has as I thought that was all game department.  The sign is pointing from the Burg side though.?????

boneaddict
Boise Cascade did own a bunch of land up there for years ,Private Ground . They did sell to a private individual(sp) And I read that he was doing a land swap and that land would go to the DNR . Which controls all State Forest Ground .
Slenk

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal