collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Brunton Echo Full Size binos, this a good deal?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Dbax129

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Brunton Echo Full Size binos, this a good deal?
« on: July 04, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »
What do you guys think? I was only hoping to spend about $150 this year on Binos, and these are online right now. I haven't done a ton of research on optics yet though.  Good deal?

[smg id=12382]

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Re: Brunton Echo Full Size binos, this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 12:30:56 AM »
Are they 10x42mm? 8x42mm? Be sure you see what they sell for on the open market-- don't just go with what campfire tells you is the regular price. Sometimes the deals aren't as good as they make them out to be.

Offline Dbax129

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:17:35 AM »
10x42. Yes.
Good call, Amazon has them for $191 on prime, so I would get free 2 day shipping. Not sure if camofire charges shipping.  Any other thoughts on entry level glass for under $200? Anybody know if this brand is good?

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 02:54:47 AM »
I haven't used them so I hope someone else will chime in here. I looked at their website and I can offer two insights.

Looks like they are fully multicoated, which is a great start. FMC is the buzzword that is a minimum acceptability of optical quality in my book. Avoid "coated optics" or "multicoated optics." You want fully multicoated optics. That means all external glass receives multiple layers of coatings to aid in light transmission as well as repel water, smudges, etc. This can be an iffy subject in lower end binos, but once you get into the $600+ price range it goes without saying that the binos will be fully multicoated.

Second, for prism coatings they write "AL." I assume that to mean aluminum coated prisms, which are generally considered bottom of the barrel. Higher levels of coatings include silver coatings, and even better when they are dielectrically coated instead. Again, this means for more light reflectivity and sharper images. A binocular with aluminum coated prisms compared to one with dielectric prisms, ceteris paribus, can mean the difference of 85% vs 95% light transmission. You might not notice the difference in quality between Brunton Echo's and Zeiss *T at the snack bar in Sportsmans Warehouse, but spend several hours behind them on top of a mountain like I do and you definitely will.

Whether its a good deal or not is a call you will have to make. I continue to shoot cheap bullets and cheap arrows and shoot as good as and usually better than most of my hunting partners who burn money on expensive stuff. I buy vehicles with 200,000+ miles on them. I get clothes at Goodwill. All that said, I would feel it a waste of a scouting/hunting day to hunt with cheap glass. If I had four scouting trips planned, with each costing me $200 in gas and wanted to spend $200 on binoculars so my total "prep" budget would be $1,000, I'd far rather spend $400 on binos and have 3x $200 scouting trips. At that price point a lot more doors open, you can get into ED Zen Rays, Nikon Monarch, etc.

Lastly, if you really want to get into the weeds of optics, and I encourage you to do so, you need to spend your time on a bird watching forum. I love my fellow hunters, but the birders got it locked down when it comes to glass.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
I have a pair of brunton eterna 11x45 and I like them.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
I jump at sales sometimes, I would let this pass.  Steiner predator 8x32's should be under 200 and I love mine.  No eye pain or head ache, I moved up to Swarovski since my Steiners but that a whole nother price level.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bone collector 12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
the way I looked at it was cheap glass only lasted me a year..maybe 2, so it was spend 200 every 2 years or 500 once and you get into glass that will last you 5 plus years

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 05:31:01 AM »
There are Nikon Prostaff7 10x42 refurbs on Camofire for right now for $142. I would buy those over the Bruntons!

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 07:45:36 AM »
I see vanguard endeavor hd fully coated highly reviewed on the bird watching sights for 174 bucks free shipping I would buy those

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
I will add that I just recieved a set of the Echo 10x42's for a wedding gift. I took them out of the box and compared them side by side with my Leupold BX3 Mojave's.

While there not the level the Leupy's are I am impressed with them for the cost associated. They feel good in your hands and are pretty clear for less expensive glass.

Over all there not bad at all in my book. If your looking for glass to scan close in and such there pretty great. But for long distance, like any inexpensive glass your eyes will strain and they will be a tad fuzzy.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
I just sent my eternas back for a cleaning due to the eye cup sticking.
Brunton sent me back a brand new pair and they were the Epoch MD that retail for 799.00
That my friends was like opening a christmas gift today. Woo hoo!
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
Hopefully the binos are better, but I bought one of their scopes a few months back and am not impressed at all. 

The Eterna line is the next step up from the Echo. My Eterna 1.5-5x20 scope has significant distortion around the edges at 1.5x.  It goes away at higher magnifications, but then loses a lot of eye relief. 

Seems like the M.O. for Brunton is to put very high MSRPs on their items which eventually find their way onto "deal of the day" sites at big discounts. 

If you do decide to get the binos, please post your impressions.

Offline Dbax129

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
I actually went with the Vortex Diamondbacks.  I spent hours at cabellas in lacey looking to the the furtheet darkest corner of the store.  I looked at so many binos i forgot them all, and none of them coaxed me to spend any more $. I actually had upped my budget in hopes of buying better glass but even up to $350 i really liked the diamondbacks.  Now had my budget been $700+ there were some other choices i may have made. Maybe if i get that big promotion in 5 years right?
Anyways, I am very happy with my purchase and love the security of that warranty. Got to use them in the field while tagging along for a buddies last day of archery deer season and looooved them in the low light of the early morning. Felt like i could see more light through them than with my naked eye.
I ended up getting the 8x42 because the 50mm lense on both the 8 and 10 power made them too big.  The 10x42 offered just a tinge less light and was slightly harder to hold steady so the 8x42 it was! I think I spent $230 after taxes.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal