collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would this be a valid idea? East/West Draws  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Would this be a valid idea? East/West Draws
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
So I had an idea, sounds good for the most part but I think in the long run it wouldnt work out. What do you think?

There are a few quality bull hunts on the west side that I have heard east side hunters lust over as well as west side hunters lust over some east side hunts. But since we can only put in for the tags on the side of the state that we purchase our tag for we are stuck. The hunts on the west side that I have heard east side hunters talk about are ones like Nooksack, Mt. Adams (modern rut) and the other few modern rut hunts like Mt. Adams. Then of course a lot of west side hunters would love a chance to go after any of the southeast corner draws.
What if they allowed us to put in for a single draw on the opposite side of the state as our general tag? This would only be allowed for quality draws. And if you are drawn once then its over like OIL you may draw a quality elk tag for the opposite side of the state.
I know some would say just start hunting general season on the side you want to draw. But like my situation I have no where near the time or money to hunt east side every year just in hopes of drawing someday. But if I were drawn once then I could pool my resources and paid vacation to make it happen.
The downside is that I feel like it would be very lop-sided. I feel that the southeast corner hunts would become 1000 times harder to draw and the eastside hunters that are limited to spikes generally would have much less of an opportunity.
How many of you that hunt the east side would put in for west side quality bull tags instead of east?
And how many of you west side guys would put in for east side tags?
I feel like too many issues would arise to make this work but what does everyone else think?

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
Re: Would this be a valid idea? East/West Draws
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »
The population imbalance says it'll never happen.  Guys have 20 points trying to draw Dayton tags now.  If your scenario was to happen, then that would get pushed to 90 or so.  Talk about a real OIL tag! 

And, by the way, east side guys don't lust over the west side draw units.  We just want to draw a tag in our home units.  Letting the west side guys apply over here without the consequence of being stuck with the east side tag is like you asking your boss if you can have a raise and only work half the hours.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »
Yea, thats about what I figured. I didnt mean to say all or even most east side guys lust over west side tags. I just meant that I have met a few that do. I was never really sure if there were that many others that agreed with them or not. I didnt figure there would be. I know that if I was limited to spike only hunts and it was that hard to draw a good or great quality tag already, I would not be happy if all of a sudden the odds got trippled against me and my fellow locals. Thats why I thought I'd ask everyone. I had figured I would get a lot of responses similar to yours Todd.

Offline bowhiker

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
I've posed this question a few times during the public input for the 3 year hunting proposal time. I like the idea to not pick a side for special draws. Like you said if I don't get drawn then I stay on one side or the other. I would like to be able to hunt anywhere in the state during the season. I would bet there are hunters in the east that wouldn't mind hunting in a 3 point min or antlerless if their special draw didn't work out for the east side. The same goes for those in the west except maybe not the 3 point min. I for one don't mind hunting spikes and cows just to learn an area for future special draws. I think this is a tough one to manage though.

Offline wa_archer

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, DU, Wen. Sportsmans Assoc.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
Why not just go to a full permit system.  You put in your top three choices if you get drawn great that's what you hunt.  If you don't get drawn rest of permits/hunting choices get put into a second drawing then open up to over counter with remaining.  Seems like this way would be easier for managing herd sizes and quality.  Plus still have all the choices and could limit the number of hunters in certain areas making hunt quality better as well.

Although with our state would just mean they could divide permits up into that many more categories to charge you and me even more.
In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsman. FDR

Some go to church and dream of hunting others go to the woods and think of God

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:14 AM »
It would b way unfair to devoted east side hunters

Offline SI Eagle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:32 AM »
It will never happen but I say you can put in state wide, one choice, bull, cow, what ever you choose. Again only one choice. That would narrow things down.

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
I have drawn the Mt. Adams tag and i don't lust over it, i will never apply for it again... I lust over the steep and deep of the blues.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull