collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GSP Rescue at Skagit Humane Society  (Read 6410 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: GSP Rescue at Skagit Humane Society
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »
So they don't just let you take a dog home if you want it?
every shelter is different some its aesy as walk in sign papers pay money and leave.  Others you apply and go through a vetting process often agreeing to not use the animal for hunting or herding or anything it was bred for and to promise to always keep it indoors and some even require you feed specific brands of food.  Highly variable there is no standard really in shelters/humane societies/rescue groups.

that said nice looking dog and good luck hope it works out.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »
That's ridiculous. I'd think they'd want the dog to go to any home, it's better than sitting in a shelter and then eventually being put down.

So I wonder if this particular shelter doesn't want this HUNTING dog to hunt?   ???

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
Pretty dog
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »
That's ridiculous. I'd think they'd want the dog to go to any home, it's better than sitting in a shelter and then eventually being put down.

So I wonder if this particular shelter doesn't want this HUNTING dog to hunt?   ???

Animal shelters/animal non profits have become huge business going so far as to import dogs from foreign countries and sell...err adopt them for 300-600 fees.  Mind blowing really how variable it is.  Usually the private ones are no kill unless its a big black dog those are hardest to find homes for.  The city or county operated shelters often have the easiest process because they dont have the funding the private groups do.  And they are charged with handling strays run aways and delinquent dogs.  I tried to get the dogcatcher job here when they were hiring thought it might be interesting. 

Purebreds often get pulled from shelters into private homes until permanent homes can be found I was one of those homes for years.  I took difficult placements mostly chow chows, but also had many other breeds over the years.  Its a tough world to be in and not get jaded.

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
  • Veteran Paramedic-Firefighter. Greenhorn Hunter
  • Groups: IAFF WSCFF
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
I'm still living in about 1972 when you wanted a dog you went to the pound and they GAVE it to you. With a big thank you attached. Oh deer. How did the hippies get control of everything? ;)

Tomfoolery Approved

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 01:07:16 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like it's a similar process to adopting a child.   :yike:

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »
You'd be surprised at how many flakes are out there. I have some friends who used to run a Pointer rescue and they kept things fairly loose. You had a quick talk on the phone, paid your money, and went home with the dog you wanted. The problem was a lot of people returned the dogs, sometimes even after as much as 6 years, for anything from jumping on furniture, to digging holes in the garden, to the dog got sick, to they had a kid and decided they couldn't handle the commitment, to even just not wanting the dog anymore. Then there were the folks who called after years of owning the dog wanting to know if they had a health guarantee on the dogs when cancer, heart issues, torn ACL's etc occurred (they were rescues for crying out loud).

Needless to say they got out of the rescue business and started breeding their own dogs. The buyers are more committed.

There is a reason some places are as crazy about vetting as they are, some of it is because of the HSUS minded folks, but others are just sick of having animals returned because people decided they didn't want them anymore, it undermines everything they try to do.    :bash:

Sorry for the rant.

Offline Hittm_good

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »
That's a good point  AspenBud.   

Offline Shannon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »
The Skagit humane society is sincerely looking for good homes although at times I think they are a little over zealous. I don't think telling them you are adopting a hunting dog to hunt would be an issue with them. Thats my opinion though. They do screen pretty carefully though. What Aspenbud says is exactly what happens. Someone brought a dog in a few weeks back after having him for several years. They said they didn't have time to spend with him anymore. They noticed the dog limping. After a day it didn't get any better. Guess what? Blown ACL. Pretty sad you would abandon your buddy of 3 years because he hurt his leg. Lots of dandies out there.

Offline BONE COLLECTOR

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 01:35:01 AM »
I wasn't awarded the GSP "Jake" but i did get to meet the men who he was awarded to. Jake has found a good home and will get to point and retrieve birds once again. I am satisfied with the decision and the process the humane society goes through to find the best home for the animals.

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
Did you tell him about HuntWA?

Offline BONE COLLECTOR

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
Thanks to a member on here i will be picking up my GSP pup on the 16th.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
that is great news all the way around...

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
The Skagit humane society is sincerely looking for good homes although at times I think they are a little over zealous. I don't think telling them you are adopting a hunting dog to hunt would be an issue with them. Thats my opinion though. They do screen pretty carefully though. What Aspenbud says is exactly what happens. Someone brought a dog in a few weeks back after having him for several years. They said they didn't have time to spend with him anymore. They noticed the dog limping. After a day it didn't get any better. Guess what? Blown ACL. Pretty sad you would abandon your buddy of 3 years because he hurt his leg. Lots of dandies out there.

Wow what a worthless animal owner that person was.  Those surgeries are not cheap, but if you honestly care for your animal and it is not just a "tool" to dispose of, you man up and get it fixed.  That dog gave it's all for the owner, to the point it hurt itself.  My dog just today underwent double knee surgery, I could have funded an AZ elk hunt for what we spent, but she is part of the family, and family is what matters.

And on a better note, glad to hear that the shelter dog found a good home AND Bone Collecter got his pup.  Grats to all!! :IBCOOL: :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]