collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: tree stand for blacktails  (Read 8359 times)

Offline irishevox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
Re: tree stand for blacktails
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
YEA  i have had does walk right under me... a few times
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline westsidehntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
lucky! i have seen nothing. from trail cam pictures i thought it would be ok spot so thats why i need the advice.

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
yeah.... i wasn't baiting at all... but i have been lucky i know where these are.... they are thier throught the whole year.  winter and summer.... more active in winter b/c they need to move to stay warm.... during the winter i had over 600+ pictures since the end of fall the numbers are lower with 400+

Offline bowhiker

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
I've tree stand hunted with some success in the past. What worked for me is hanging a stand about 30 yards or so inside the edge of a clear cut and near a well used trail. The thick draws seem to work best for me and evenings as well. I like 5 year or so clear cuts because the older ones get pretty thick to shoot through and see through. Look for the more mature bucks to show up last light and away from the most used trails. That's why I set up away from the heavy trails.

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
If you are looking at hunting from a Treestand I would go Archery. A lot of guys have success late season. Some bait, some don't, It a your choice kinda thing and I don't want to bring up that mud slingin' argument. If you decide to bait, apples work really good. I hunted over bait last year. Had 3 bucks show up in October, Two Nice 2 points and a spike. This year I'm not hunting over bait, just gonna try and find the right trail to set up on.

Offline westsidehntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
Sundance, I want to try rattling from my stand. When is this best? Late general modern? Late modern? Or late archery?

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 07:35:46 AM »
i have only rattled a few times from tree stand when i used them on white tails in the rut in louisiana... and they they come flying in!  never used a rattle yet for BT

Offline westsidehntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 08:10:33 AM »
The tree shaking is a good idea! Sundance, where do you have the best luck placing stands? Im thinking at good intersections between bedding and feed areas. I dont have any access to private land so im hunting public land only. I do like to get behind gates and away from people but some of the rut zones I have found arent that far from the road. Are these worth hunting for big bucks? Or will pressure move them away from roads.

Offline westsidehntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
Do you set up multiple stands? How long do you sit in a stand? Iv thought of setting a morning and evening stand so I can sit til afternoon in first stand then still hunt to second for a evening sit. But I need another stand!

Offline westsidehntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »
Yeah I just go with cheap hang ons. I leave them out on public land during season. I have never seen anyone in my stand area or on my camera but if so thats why I buy cheap. Maybe someday a climber. How much do you worry about scent control and sitting still when in stand? I agree on no blanket answer and I suppose it totally depends on each persons patience and confidence in the spot.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
I have both archery hunted and rifle hunted from tree stands. Climbers are awesome for public land. For archery My stand is scouted to the max and I would read Boyd Iversons Blacktail trophy tactics 2.  For rifle hunting I REALLY like setting up about 10-15 yards on the inside of a older growth next to re prod that has trees just large enough that you cannot see jack walking through them. say 10-15' tall. preferably the tree is on the downhill side of a gully or hill with the timber and the rep rod on the hill/slope. Haven't killed any this way but have seen animals. The last time i hunted this way i was 60' up the tree and could see EVERYTHING! could work really well in a well hunted area that pushes animals around .
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 07:48:12 AM »
i am going to try something different this year.... i have a free hang i will sit morning and after noon and i have a ground blind i am going to set up on a feild bow for season. We shall see how it plays out.

Offline westsidehntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:53 AM »
I havent been to worried about my scent control. Maybe i should be more. Also I need to make a decent trail through the underbrush so i can get in and out quieter. But i also dont want other hunters to find the trail.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
I have found that i bump lots of deer inthe mornings trying to get into my stand and then i see nothing. I tend to see more in the  evening or after light so i can still hunt to the stand. Its amazing how quiet it is in the AM and how loud we are even trying to be quiet.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:52 AM »
yeah i thought that as well... but i get in there 2 hours before daylight most of the time... just so i don;t disturb them to much

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal