collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: NOOB Question - Access and Equipment Security (Archery Elk)  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Hunt_406

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Hunt WA Team,

I've been a long time lurker and truly enjoy this forum, however it's time to post.

I have a bit of a noob question.  OK, questions.  I have lived in WA since college in 2002 (too bad no one told me about ghost points then, I would have had lots built up!).  I usually head back to my home state of MT however to hunt.  I usually get in an antelope trip, archery elk, and two rifle deer/wolf trips in late November if I'm not tagged out.  I'm getting married in September and don't have time (or permission!) to do my usual MT archery trips this year (I did get my MT tags JUST in case I get the green light :D).

I've been stationed at JBLM for 8 years, but I'll be hunting WA pretty much for the first time.  I'll be doing archery wetside, and have a couple of questions...mainly access and security of camp/gear.

First, I'm looking to hunt 506 (steep and locals reap the rewards of patterned herds), 530 (don't know much about this one), 520 (lots of elk, lots of access, which means lots of hunters/pickers/meth heads), 550 (don't know much about this one), or 505 (don't know much about this one).  I'm not looking for anterless, so that does not need to be a consideration.  This is essentially scouting, but with a bow and a call this year.  I'm not expecting much else. The endstate is to find areas that hold elk during archery season, observe and identify habits, and utilize that next year for a WA and MT archery hunts.

The whole private land (timber company) but usable for hunting/recreation with permit or walking in, etc... is a bit confusing when I've never had to go that route before.  Out of those GMU's listed (506, 530, 520, 550, 505) which require a WEYCO permit?  My research led me to believe 506, 505, and 520 required an access permit of some kind (obviously they may be sold out by this point and that will be a limiting/deciding factor).  Also new/frustrating to me is that it sounds like many areas you cannot spike out/camp overnight due to WEYCO rules in archery season.

Q1) If my goal was to bike in many miles behind locked gates and spike out, does anyone have a suggestion on the best GMU that fits that description?  Not looking for any specifics, just a 3 letter GMU number.

Q2) Once I have a GMU or two picked out, what is the best way to find out which gates are open or locked, and during what times of year?  In MT, it's simple; all gates are open in archery and closed for everything else unless it's a year round closure for reclaimed roads, etc... (many of the roads off  the main FS roads are gated in that regards and are great for hiking/biking in).

Q3) If I find a GMU that is primarily gated and not handing out employee keys, and bike in to spike out, how is everyone securing their equipment?  I've read about berry pickers, brush pickers (WTF is that?!), obviously active logging, and meth heads all out there.  While I expected crowds, I initially expected hunting crowds.  Do you guys pack a sidearm in archery here (I am used too for wolves anyway), and do you hide your tent, mountain bike, etc... off any trails/roads?  Is theft a concern?  What tips can you share to secure any equipment.  I'd hate to have a bike stolen by a tweaker and hump out 15 miles on a logging road!  The idea of theft is just so new to me in the outdoors...I'm used to leaving my keys in the ignition at the gated roads during hunting season!

I want to thank in advance everyone for reading and contributing.  If I did anything incorrectly or in bad taste, I meant no harm, and it was out of ignorance.  I have thick skin, corrections/tips are welcomed.

- Hunt_406

PS. I'll head over to the introduction page and post there as well...I've lurked long enough to know that one is coming :p
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:04:00 AM by Hunt_406 »
Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo @ 76# // Rbros .300 Win Mag LWLH, Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50, Berger 215 Hybrids

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
Re: NOOB Question - Access and Equipment Security (Archery Elk)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »
506, 520, 530, 550, You'll need weyco access permits and will not be lonely. 505 lots of private land, 503 mostly private. Pickers are illegal aliens gathering salal and bear grass for the floral mkt. Look at 516-560-572-574-578.

Offline Hunt_406

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
Thanks WashElkHunter!  Ill look at those.  Good luck to you this season.
Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo @ 76# // Rbros .300 Win Mag LWLH, Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50, Berger 215 Hybrids

Offline ELKBURGER

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:36:23 PM »
Welcome to the site :hello: It sounds like you already have a good idea what you do. The units Washelk mentioned are good units. There are some good general season opportunity in the wildernesses too.

As for the security issue....us hunters have needed to consider it more and more. Vehicles at gates and trailheads are the biggest targets. I believe the further in you are, the less likely a tweeker will affect you or your belongings.

Thanks for your service :tup:

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
  • Hunt Hard or Stay Home!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
If you look at 516-560 good areas but the berry pickers are all of the place now. Usually don't mess with stuff but did have my shower stole. Yes just my shower stolen. If you want some places to check out message me.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:03:17 PM »
Get away from the roads in gmu 667 or 654 in my opinion.  Good chance for a nice bull.  :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline Hunt_406

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for their responses.  Definitely a large wealth of knowledge on this forum.  I have added all the recommended GMU's to my map recon list, and will start tonight trying to narrow it down to one or two to start scouting!  Luckily I already have the FS maps for most of these areas so I can start right away. 

It sounds like security of spike camp maybe won't be as big an issue once you get enough miles past the gate or trail head.  I'll be sure to leave nothing in my vehicle for prying eyes.  I think I'll still carry a sidearm however.

What about gate access?  What's the best way to find out if a gate will be open or closed in Washington?  Is it state wide, or does it just vary on the area?  I would hate to plan a hunt in an area that is gated to have the gates open while hunting and road hunters cruising through, even if they are just on the roads.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.  I really appreciate it.  Good luck to all this season!

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »
Also watch the Weyerhauser land, most of it does not allow camping at all.
you would have to ninja camp
If you have to pay for access why cant you camp ?

Gates, I'd have someone drop you off, too many people even get fuel swiped and glass broken

The brush and berry pickers, asians or latinos usually, mostly harmless.
leave nothing of high value anywhere ever, yes carry a sidearm, completely legal to do so.
You will find out quickly, this aint Montana, plenty of people who will cut your throat to get ahead of you for a bull elk.
Totally BS in my opinion.

Also plan for fire closures in the early hunt, thats the primary reason we now hunt the eastside.
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Hunt_406

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
Good to know MadMax!  Thanks!  Fire closures I was tracking, but the other stuff is new.  Apprecaite the info.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
 You can also use the search engine on this site for a ton of info. I typed in 'Margaret' and got over 100 posts to read through. Most of the info is great and some you have to take with a grain of salt. There's a lot of good people on this site so use it and abuse it. We all have. I don't have any specific answers for you yet but will ponder the questions over the weekend and see if I have anything to add. Hopefully a lot of others will pitch in. Welcome to the site and thank you!

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
I would plan on most gates being locked up in the early season if you are hunting private timber co land.  I haven't been everywhere in all those units but the areas I have been in haven't had any open gates in the timber co land.  Unless you get a permit with a key, I wouldn't plan on getting behind any gates in a vehicle.  And has been stated previously, most timber co land is day use only, come in and out each day.  No camping.  These are general statements, again I cant speak for everywhere you're talking about just my findings from having hunted a few of the areas you're inquiring about.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »
If you get a St Helens access permit you can drive into 520 and 550. But for hiking or biking in you might want to hunt 560 on National Forest land.

Offline Hunt_406

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 09:14:36 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! It's appreciated!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »
Always carry a sidearm, and try to get dropped off/picked up if you can

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal