collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 04 f-150 vs 06 tacoma  (Read 11233 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: 04 f-150 vs 06 tacoma
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 11:58:43 PM »
Some things to consider:

1) With that short of a commute, disregard fuel economy all together, it really is a drop in the bucket compared to what other costs should be.  One blown transmission or timing belt failure will eat all of that fuel economy savings up anyway.  It'd be different if you were driving 25k miles a year, but it doesn't sound like you are.

2) I was a "small truck" guy and then I bought a big truck.  Now I have a camper.  If you ever think you want to do towing, or your friends might need something towed for you, go bigger rather than smaller.  If you want firewood, go for the bigger bed.  Some things you might not think about yourself doing, you'll do if you have a truck that can handle it.  The last thing you want to be is one of those guys who buys the tacoma and then decides to buy a camper and limps over the pass hoping their transmission doesn't melt while trying to remember what their fuel economy advantage was.

3) Every vehicle will have problems if you drive them enough, Toyota included.  I was a Nissan small truck guy and my brother made fun of me (Taco guy), both older models, and he laughed as I replaced my timing chain and my head gasket.  When he learned that he had a timing belt at 150k he wasn't laughing anymore... and his head gasket blew soon after.  They're not invincible, but I would say they're probably MORE reliable than the Ford. 

4) Think about what you're really looking for.  If you really want to take dogs to a park, ski on the weekends, go back to your suburban home adn take your kids to the beach or a park, hands down get the Tacoma (or save a bunch of money and dont even get a truck).  If you want a TRUCK to haul, tow and do those kinds of things, don't try to use the Tacoma for something it isn't made for.  Get the Ford.

5) My own personal rant:  I was always a Ford guy, but recently I've turned Chevy... they're just too damn comfortable and you don't look like you're driving a monster truck.  I have a half ton 4 door with the 5.3.  I recently (almost accidentally) became a car/truck guy with a camry for city driving and a truck for truck use.  Now that I'm at this state, I wish I had a beefier truck as the only things I use it for are hauling and towing.  I'm really thinking my next ride might be the 8.1 Gas Chevy with the Allison tranny.  People see the 10 mpg and shy away, but they are WAY less expensive than diesel options and I only drive when I'm hauling anyway. 

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2014, 06:24:59 AM »
Some things to consider:

1) With that short of a commute, disregard fuel economy all together, it really is a drop in the bucket compared to what other costs should be.  One blown transmission or timing belt failure will eat all of that fuel economy savings up anyway.  It'd be different if you were driving 25k miles a year, but it doesn't sound like you are.

2) I was a "small truck" guy and then I bought a big truck.  Now I have a camper.  If you ever think you want to do towing, or your friends might need something towed for you, go bigger rather than smaller.  If you want firewood, go for the bigger bed.  Some things you might not think about yourself doing, you'll do if you have a truck that can handle it.  The last thing you want to be is one of those guys who buys the tacoma and then decides to buy a camper and limps over the pass hoping their transmission doesn't melt while trying to remember what their fuel economy advantage was.

3) Every vehicle will have problems if you drive them enough, Toyota included.  I was a Nissan small truck guy and my brother made fun of me (Taco guy), both older models, and he laughed as I replaced my timing chain and my head gasket.  When he learned that he had a timing belt at 150k he wasn't laughing anymore... and his head gasket blew soon after.  They're not invincible, but I would say they're probably MORE reliable than the Ford. 

4) Think about what you're really looking for.  If you really want to take dogs to a park, ski on the weekends, go back to your suburban home adn take your kids to the beach or a park, hands down get the Tacoma (or save a bunch of money and dont even get a truck).  If you want a TRUCK to haul, tow and do those kinds of things, don't try to use the Tacoma for something it isn't made for.  Get the Ford.

5) My own personal rant:  I was always a Ford guy, but recently I've turned Chevy... they're just too damn comfortable and you don't look like you're driving a monster truck.  I have a half ton 4 door with the 5.3.  I recently (almost accidentally) became a car/truck guy with a camry for city driving and a truck for truck use.  Now that I'm at this state, I wish I had a beefier truck as the only things I use it for are hauling and towing.  I'm really thinking my next ride might be the 8.1 Gas Chevy with the Allison tranny.  People see the 10 mpg and shy away, but they are WAY less expensive than diesel options and I only drive when I'm hauling anyway.

Great points. To add:

2. I can't imagine having a truck bed so small I can't sleep in the back with my camper shell. Part of the fun of having the truck.

3. Also true. Oil still needs to be changed, and catalytic converters will go out no matter how well built and constructed the truck is.

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
I've got an 05 Taco that drove off the showroom floor. It's got over 100K on it now, use it for work and everything else. Like the above poster said it's a great rig but if you need a full-size truck you need a full size. That being said the only thing I'd trade the Taco for would have to have a 7.3L.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
You're gonna owe us a lot of pictures when this search is finally done.  :chuckle:
That's their number 1 selling point.
research my posts about that legendary Toyota quality.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 11:06:06 PM »
Not sure if it's your style but there was a 02 tundra ext cab limited with 81k miles for around 12k on the tri city's craigslist today. Pretty good deal.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]