collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pass thru or not?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline LOVEMYLABXS

• Retired
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Pass thru or not?
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »
Would you rather have your muzzy bullet pass clear thru for the possablity of more blood on the ground or have it stay inside and expend all it's energy on the animal?
Scratch a dog once and you'll have a job for life and life is good.....  Mike

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Pass thru or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
just get through ! simple don't hit shoulder
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »
Would you rather have your muzzy bullet pass clear thru for the possablity of more blood on the ground or have it stay inside and expend all it's energy on the animal?

I want the pass thru, whether I hit bone or not.  I would like blood be able to pass through 2 holes... Here is paragraph that I wrote several years ago - my definition of a great bullet..

The Hunting bullet should be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available.   The bullet design should allow the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3”, through bone or tissue, before it starts to expand the petals.  After the bullet starts to expand or shed it petals it should adversely affect all the surrounding internal organs.  The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long.  I believe that in most case the bullet should pass through the body providing a secondary exit hole for blood and debris.  This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow.  Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill.  Using a bullet matching this description will normally result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
That is an excellent description. You can change a few simple terms and relate it to bow, muzzy, rifle, pistol, you name it.

In general I would expect a pass thru to be ideal using any weapon.

Offline LOVEMYLABXS

• Retired
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »

I want the pass thru, whether I hit bone or not.  I would like blood be able to pass through 2 holes... Here is paragraph that I wrote several years ago - my definition of a great bullet..

The Hunting bullet should be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available.   The bullet design should allow the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3”, through bone or tissue, before it starts to expand the petals.  After the bullet starts to expand or shed it petals it should adversely affect all the surrounding internal organs.  The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long.  I believe that in most case the bullet should pass through the body providing a secondary exit hole for blood and debris.  This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow.  Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill.  Using a bullet matching this description will normally result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot.

Excellant post but I only shoot solid lead bullets out of my Hawkins and they don't splinter they just mushroom out. I've only hit one elk that got away and it turned out another hunter got it as it stepped out in front of him and he brought me back my bullet but I hit it high behind the shoulder (didn't break the back bone). He told me it wobblin when it stepped out and  he shot it and it wouldn't have gone much farther I was just glad he got it and it wasn't lost. I've never tried and kind of jacketed/sabot type bullet cause my Hawkins shoots very well with hornady and if I place them right they seem to work but I have had both pass thrus and stopping in the cavity most times just under the hide on the far side which I would think would be near perfect. I'm not sure if I want to mess with change powder loads and jacketed bullets and lose accuracy ? Either way most haven't gone far and I can see where an in and out would leave a better blood trail but I also think it needs to have given it's all in energy.
Scratch a dog once and you'll have a job for life and life is good.....  Mike

Offline SnakeEyes

• Real Estate Broker
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
    • John L Scott Real Estate
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
I have been thinking about this for a while and wondering what would be the best way to increase the chances of a pass though? Several animals taken between my dad, buddy and I have had bullets end up on the far side of the animal with no blood trail. I am talking about Elk. I started shooting the 300 grain shockwave with 3 - 50 grain Triple 7 pellets. I was getting between 1800-1900 FPS. My big bull was shot at approximately 45 yards and did not pass through. Luckily he only went 40 yards but no blood trail. I am now shooting the Barnes Spit Fire 290grain with 100 grains of Triple 7 loose powder. I believe this load is around 1600 FPS. I cannot find where I wrote it down. I am thinking of increasing to 110 grains or maybe more.

Should a person use more powder or a heavier bullet? Most of the animals we have taken have been less than 100 yards shots.
Steve Marshall - John L Scott Real Estate

Selling Homes and Acreage in SW Washington

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
I'd vote bigger bullet.  You aren't getting much speed or range out of a muzzy anyway.

Offline oneshot12

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSMA ,NMLRA, NRA
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »
 :yeah: pass through  with out question   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull