collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lost  (Read 2901 times)

Offline earnhtyl000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Lost
« on: July 17, 2014, 12:51:58 PM »
So I know where ill be hunting elk, I have cams up and have pictures of both deer and elk, im hunting on the wetside, so that leaves me with the blackies, I wouldn't mind shooting one, but like we all know, they are small as h***!! :bash: I want to hunt deer on the eastside but I have no time. If all else fails ill probably have to stick with a doe tag. :dunno: :dunno:
MATHEWS CREED
BACK COUNTRY DREAMS
EARNHARDT

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Lost
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
Not really sure what you are looking for here, but if you shoot a mature blacktail buck it will give deer on the east side a run for the money size wize (weight). 

Offline YoterHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »
Need to find more mature bucks . Most of my big buck average 140 -220 lbs feald dressed .

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
Blacktails arent that small once you get past spikes and forkies.

Offline REHJWA

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »
Not sure you going about it the right way if your  looking for help finding a spot to hunt mule deer. If your offering a west side elk swap for east side deer you might try the hunt swap thread. If you want to see some bruiser blacktails look under the annual deer pictures.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:15:13 PM by REHJWA »

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
I have seen some stud blackies.   Maybe you might need to find a better deer area.  The big boys usually get shot during the rut.  As most know GIANT blacktail bucks are very elusive and they dont get big by showing off their antlers.   :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 06:30:59 PM »
Weird thread.. !

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
Them small blacktails are just what my dr. ordered. Hell sometimes I don't even get out of the truck  :tup:

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline Bobvernon2

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »
Blacktail as big as any eastern WA deer!?! Oh wait those must be those hybrid blackies. Shoot half these blacktails I've seen on here you could haul out by yourself. Most whitetails need 2 people plus a rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »
Blacktails arent that small once you get past spikes and forkies.

Leave those for me. It's like veil.  :drool: :drool:

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »
QUOTED

The Columbian Blacktail's Size

Blacktail deer on average are smaller than their Whitetail and Mule deer cousins. Here in north western California a 150-160 pound buck (live weight) is considered large. California Blacktail bucks occasionally approach 200 pounds, but from my experience, it's a rare occurrence. Years ago I killed a huge bodied forked horn in San Joaquin county that tipped the scales at 171 pounds field dressed. To date this is the largest Columbian Blacktail buck I have ever personally witnessed.

Although I have limited personal experience with Oregon Blacktail I am told they are slightly larger in body size than California bucks. Washington on the other hand produces some extremely large bodied Blacktails. If my experience with this web site is any indication, it appears that bucks weighing 175 lb. field dressed are not that uncommon in the "Evergreen state".

Antler size in Blacktails runs contrary to what one might expect and is an often debated topic among Blacktail hunters. In the Columbian Blacktail, body size appears to have little relationship to horn size. This is generally not the situation with Whitetail and Mule deer. In their case, body size and antler size are usually closely related. As a rule of thumb, both get larger as you travel north. The larger the bucks body the larger it's antlers. This is very evident when you compare a Florida Whitetail to a Michigan Whitetail, or a Desert Mule Deer to a Canadian Mule Deer.

In the case of the Columbian Blacktail, as mentioned above, this circumstance does not seem to apply. California is the southern most state in the Columbian Blacktails range, yet it has produced more B&C Blacktails than Oregon or Washington. One would think that the opposite would be true but the record books state the fact clearly. The largest antlered Columbian Blacktail are found in the southern portion of their range. Even though California and Oregon produce more record class Blacktails than Washington, Washington state holds many incredible Blacktail bucks. Their heavy dark horns, and large body size, give them a truly unique appearance. Not to mention, the current world record Columbian comes from Washington state.

Many hunters look at the field photos section of BlacktailCountry.com and are amazed at the size that Columbian Blacktails are capable of attaining. A few have even gone as far a accusing me of posting photos of Mule Deer. If in doubt, please take a look at these numbers which were gathered from Boone and Crockett’s Records of North American Deer and Elk, and decide for yourself.

Ironically, even though most Blacktails hunters readily agree that there are areas known for producing large Mule Deer, such as the Paunsaguant, the "Arizona strip", Mexico, and the "Grande Mesa" in Colorado, many refuse to believe that the same holds true for Blacktail. Instead they claim that the Blacktails that come out of northern California and southern Oregon are not true Columbian's, but rather Mule Deer crosses. In most cases their reasoning is simple. They can't be Blacktails because they have never seen a buck with antlers that large in their hunting area. The truth of the matter is that good ''genetics'' and ''nutrition'' also apply to antler growth in Blacktails.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »
I've seen a bunch of Washington whitetails and mule deer and a few Blacktails. Never noticed much difference in body size.
There are extremes on either side. Look at the size of this e-wa monster buck. Got to be at least 100 pounds

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter