collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Danner or Under Armour or ?...  (Read 15998 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Danner or Under Armour or ?...
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »
I am going to be in the market for a new pair of boots soon and have been debating on what ones. I have not had the budget for boots as high as I do this year. My limit is $200-$250. I have had 3 pairs of Rockys and they are always comfortable and never had to break them in, no blisters, but they have also never lasted me more than a year and a half or so, pretty much 2 seasons worth and they are falling apart. Had soles peel off, seems come undone, etc. Also had a couple Wal-Mart specials that I never remember the names but they were about the same, a season or two and are done. The last pair I had lasted the longest but still only about 2 years, those were Carhartts that were clearanced out and discontinued. The best I have worn yet but now that I have a better budget I figured I would try something new. Danner has always been under consideration. I know a lot of people that swear by them and just as many people that say your just paying for the name. But I figured they didnt get that name for no reason so I really want to try a pair for myself. The other ones I fell in love with when I tried them on was Under Armour Brow Tines. I am open to other options as well. Always heard great things about Redwing and Irish Setters. 400 gram insulation is what I want. 8 or 10 inch boots are the bulk of what I am looking at. Here are the ones I have thought about so far. Any input or experience?
Danner Pronghorn 400 Gram
Under Armour Brow Tine 400 Gram
Danner High Ground 400 Gram
Danner East Ridge 400 Gram
Danner Ridgemaster 400 Gram

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
Re: Danner or Under Armour or ?...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »
What time of year are you hunting? I bought the high ground last year and am very happy with them. Had their original gfx for many years before they gave out.  :'(

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
You should look at Asolo's if you have the opportunity. My Asolo GTXs are the best boot I have ever had. I tried Danner Pronghorns awhile back. I loved the fit so much I bought another identical pair. The first time hunting with them I had a side wall blowout. My second pair started seem seperation within a couple of hunts. I was not a happy camper. I know allot of people swear by theirs, and I may have just had a bad lot. I still love the Bob sole that Danner started.
I tried on a set of Merrils last week, and they fit very well. I have been Merril hiking shoes and the Jungle Moc slip on is the most comfortable shoe ever made, so I might hook up with a pair of Merrils aand see how they do.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »
I scout as much as I can throughout the summer (not so much the last couple years but some) I do muzzleloader for elk and modern for deer. I also do plenty of coyote hunting through January. So October-January is the bulk of the hunting time. I dont get into the snow as much as I would like, 95% of my time is under 1500 ft elevation.

After reading the other thread about the Pronghorns that is on this page, the Under Armours may have just jumped to the top of the list.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
The pronghorns I have worked great last season...they went through early archery elk, rifle deer and late elk awesome the. I used them recently and they leaked  :bash: danner said send them in and they will look at them but for the money so far it wasn't worth it
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
I've had danner pronghorn, danner quarry's, and under armours and my strong recommendation is none of them. If I was going to go with a boot marketed for hunters I would absolutely go with cabelas perfekt hunters made by Mendl. They are in a whole different class and once you go there, you won't go back. I've not bought anything else since and I'm on year 4 and going strong. However, I also would recommend looking into the backpacking realm. Those guys wear boots made for putting in 15-20 mile days and I think in many ways they are way ahead of boots marketed to hunters. I'm thinking about picking up some Solon quest 4ds. In a nutshell, I suggest broadening your horizons. For 200-250, those boots you mentioned are nowhere near the top of the class. My  :twocents:
SliverSlinger

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
I have Danner Acadias. They last for years and are waterproof for real. I walk through water with confidence.

They are heavy, and uncomfortable. But they also grip like nobody's business. if you need to pack 50 pound quarters across uneven, unstable, rocky terrain, you'll be far more glad for their stability and durability than comfort.

I have also worn Danner Pronghorns. They're comfortable, but don't hold a candle to the Acadias for packing out heavy loads.

http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Mens-Acadia-Uniform-Black/dp/B000O2WB92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405735130&sr=8-1&keywords=danner+acadia&dpPl=1

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
  If you can come up with a little more money and pick up a set of kenetreks you will be a happy man, plus they will last much longer than say a pronghorn or similar quality boot so in the long run they pay off. They have a deal going right now, buy a pair of boots and get a free set of gaiters, which are also a high quality item. I have nothing but good things to say about there products and I am harder on them than most.....good luck
Go hawks

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 09:26:12 PM »
Cabela's Outfitter 9" pro hunters are nice.  The 400 gram ones go for 189.99.  The 800 gram ones are on sale right now for 149.99 but might be a little warm.  I have run these the last two years.  The only reason I switched is for side hill support.  I take care of them and make sure they are oiled.  No problem with seam separation.  1st pair did leak but replaced no questions asked.  No problems with the second set.

Offline washelkhunter

• Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »
You really don't need 400gr insulation for ml or mod deer. I'd go uninsulated and switch it up with lighter to heavier wt socks as necessary. Get a 600gr boot for late season snow winter hunting.

Offline nitro

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:45:21 PM »
I have been a danner boot guy for years, have 3 pairs of hunting boots by danner but this last year i switched over to kenetrek and all i have to say is WOW!!! The best boot i have ever put on. I would recommend these to any one looking at hunting boots, save a little more money and step up to a way better boot that will last you for years.

Offline cdriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • wood stocks and hand calls James 2:14-18, USMC
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
You are so close to the Danner factory store in Portland, some great deals on seconds down there. I found a pair of Ridgemasters, seconds, for  140 bucks. They are comfortable, waterproof and durable, so far.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »
I always forget about that, the factory being in Portland that is. I tend to avoid crossing the bridge whenever I can haha. No offense to anyone from Portland or that likes it there, I just cant stand that place myself. But for a good deal on boots I may have to suck it up. We shall see.

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
I went with the solomon 4d gtx boot.  Nice boot, it should work well for early archery and chukar hunting this year.

Offline washelkhunter

• Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
I always forget about that, the factory being in Portland that is. I tend to avoid crossing the bridge whenever I can haha. No offense to anyone from Portland or that likes it there, I just cant stand that place myself. But for a good deal on boots I may have to suck it up. We shall see.

Yeah ya would'nt want to buy anything tax free right?   :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand