collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Danner or Under Armour or ?...  (Read 16002 times)

Offline Johnb317

• johnb317
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Danner or Under Armour or ?...
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
Had the pronghorns, bought a pair of Meindle Perfeckt boots at Cabelas and never looked back.  Good boot cork footbed, and don't forget to put the shims in once the footbeds have set in.   
Old enough to know better.
Young enough to go for it.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
Shims? Footbeds set in?

I always forget about that, the factory being in Portland that is. I tend to avoid crossing the bridge whenever I can haha. No offense to anyone from Portland or that likes it there, I just cant stand that place myself. But for a good deal on boots I may have to suck it up. We shall see.

Yeah ya would'nt want to buy anything tax free right?   :chuckle:

haha, yea, I will admit I am guilty of that every now and then. most of the time though I would pay the extra tax not to go down there. But it all depends on what the purchase is.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
Living there, I'd go to the danner factory.  Be sure to buy one of the stitch down made in USA pairs. My favorite all time boots were the danner hood mt lights. They molded to my foot and were the most comfortable boots. Eventually broke down the goretex liner and they leaked, but that will happen to every boot. Have also had two pairs of meindls. Good boots, but blew out a stitch in first year of one, then the second pair started to leak at year two. Now I have zamberlans. Okay, but still breaking in after two years.

Offline cdriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • wood stocks and hand calls James 2:14-18, USMC
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
And with the factory near the airport, you don't even have to go downtown.

Offline Superfly

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 03:03:01 AM »
I recently purchased a pair of the Nike's that the special operations guys wear and they are awesome ! I am not sure of what the call sign is for them but they feel like your wearing Air Jordans but have so much support and stability that I am just blown away...............another one to consider if its not to cold is the Oakley's that The Delta guys wear. My cousin is a operator and he gave me a pair of his that he wore over in Afghanistan for awhile until he got anouther 4 pair for free and they are super comfortable as well but dont have as much support as the Nike's but are super light as well.............

Just my .02 worth

Fly

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
I have been a danner boot guy for years, have 3 pairs of hunting boots by danner but this last year i switched over to kenetrek and all i have to say is WOW!!! The best boot i have ever put on. I would recommend these to any one looking at hunting boots, save a little more money and step up to a way better boot that will last you for years.

This is my same story.  Most comfortable boot ever made.  I always wore the danger rainforest 2.  Good solid boot but heavy and about $415.00 for the American made.  The Vietnam made pair cost 200.  So I bought the kenetrek mountain extremes insulated.  What a difference.  KENETREK!!!! 

If you can come up with a little more money and pick up a set of kenetreks you will be a happy man, plus they will last much longer than say a pronghorn or similar quality boot so in the long run they pay off. They have a deal going right now, buy a pair of boots and get a free set of gaiters, which are also a high quality item. I have nothing but good things to say about there products and I am harder on them than most.....good luck

:yeah:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »
With multiple threads on here reporting that Danners leak, fall apart, otherwise fail, I'd never even consider them. I'm a fan of the Meindl/Kenetrek type boots. I wear 400gr insulation Meindl perfekt hunters and wear them hiking all summer and hunting all fall and winter. I have no issues. They've been going strong for 4-5 years now and maybe more. The tread on the soles is getting a little worn out, but the rest of the boots are great. No leaks, no nothing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
Ive been a Danner guy for years.  For both Work, hunting, and hiking.  I would never try anything else. They have withstood some severe punishment.  Until recently that is.  I don't know what happened at Danner but their quality has gone down the crapper.  The last 2 pairs I've owned haven't lasted more than a year.  One leaked right out of the box.  I am looking into either the Kenetreks (spelling?)  or the Cabelas Meindl.  Both have great if not perfect reviews.  I will be purchasing one of the two this weekend and hopefully never looking back.

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 04:28:59 PM »
my under armor boots are way better than the danners i use to buy the danners only last a season if i was lucky before splitting out somewear and always leaked my under armour boots have lasted me over 2 years going into my third year did notice hiking the other day in the wet rain that my feet did get a little wet

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
With multiple threads on here reporting that Danners leak, fall apart, otherwise fail, I'd never even consider them. ...

Ive owned several pairs of Danner.   Cheap ones are as you described.   The made in usa expensive ones are not.  They hold up to serious abuse in the rocky desert terrain in which I hunt deer.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »

With multiple threads on here reporting that Danners leak, fall apart, otherwise fail, I'd never even consider them. ...

Ive owned several pairs of Danner.   Cheap ones are as you described.   The made in usa expensive ones are not.  They hold up to serious abuse in the rocky desert terrain in which I hunt deer.

I'd buy into that, but the description you provided earlier of your boots make me want to steer extremely clear of them.
:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
Heavy AND uncomfortable.

- satisfied customer  8)

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
To the OP.

Boots are tough.  I have found shopping for a boot is probably the most individualized purchase you will make in your gear selection.  Everyone's feet fit differently.  Multiple people I know really like the Kenetreks.  For me, with a narrow heel and wider fore foot, they give me terrible heel lift and if I wore them out of the store, I'm not sure i would make it to my vehicle before my foot was covered in blisters!

My recommendation is as follows. 

Go to Cabelas AND REI.  (Another poster recommended checking out backpacking boots--I second that opinion).

Try on every boot you can there and find out what "types" of boots fit your feet the best (at this point don't worry about price, just find ones that fit well).  Look for boots that don't give you heel lift, etc.  Walk up and down stairs if you can. 

Then, I'd call Steve at Lathrop and Sons.  www.lathropandsons.com

Tell him your price range, and the type of boots your feet fit into and see if he can help you.  Those guys at Lathrop are all Podiatrists, and are extremely knowledgeable on footwear. 

Good luck on your search.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
I just picked up a set of salomons from cabelas for 225. They seem great so far. Comfy and already feel broke in. They are 7 inch boots and fairly light.
I wont own another pair of meindls and my experience is mixed on danner.

Offline herdbull33

• Tracker
  • Paramedic/Buck slayer
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »
I use the pronghorns. Light weight, good quality and they have lasted me 3 seasons now. Aug-Nov. hope this helps.
~HerdBull~

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal