collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tree Stand Accessories/Modifications  (Read 2719 times)

Offline roy...s

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Tree Stand Accessories/Modifications
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
I've decided this year to add several climbing tree stands to the arsenal for chasing Blacktails.  During the last week of season I'm intending sun up to sun down sits in a couple of areas with tons of rut sign.  I also know purchasing a stand is just the tip of the iceberg, so I have a question for you tree swinging experts.

What one or two accessories, modifications to your stands or tips, have you found to take an all day sit from a miserable existence, to a nice day waiting for Mr. Right to come strolling by?   
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:01:13 AM by roy...s »

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
Re: Tree Stand Accessories/Modifications
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »
Pee jug and plastic bag to poop in.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline bowguy

• bow guy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »
Pee jug is big we use a half gallon milk jug painted black with a short 6" rope to a carabiner don't want to tie and untie knots with gloves. You may wAnt to look into a stick ladder or screw in steps being our trees in the nw have lots of branches it also allows you to leave it for quite in and out the next day.  The hooyman saw very helpful for clearing shooting lanes. Pair of hand pruners also. If bow hunting a hanger is a must keep it high and to the left out of bow swing. Because your hunting black tails that means your on the WETside pic up a treestand umbrella it will help keeP you dry allowing you to sit longer. Dress light for the hike in but have lots of layers to put on don't wanna start sweating and sit in soaked gear. In early archery longest I've sat was 15 hrs in one day for the late season at -10 has been about 4 1/2  hrs dress eight layers deep. Good luck. Pm me for more questions or anything.

P.s. I'm so pumped mine are already hanging in the tree for sept 2. Ya baby

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
 Take a length of rope to tie around your chest with a bow knot in front so if you nod off you don't fall off of the stand. Even with a safety belt it can be pretty hairy! The bow is for when you want to get up an move around you simply pull it and stand up to shoot or whatever.

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
I took a foam pad and put it inside of an old hunting shirt , sewed it shut and also sewed it onto my tree stand seat. Made it way softer and also quieter. I did the same thing to the arms as well.  I also adjust the seat so that I am as high up in the stand as possible.  At first I was sitting to deep causing my elbows / arms to be higher and not as comfy.  I like to stand and stretch every couple of hours so I make my seat pretty high above my foot part of my climber. At first I had it all bunched up. Much easier to stand now with the seat higher and foot part a little lower.  Have a great season.

Offline roy...s

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
Pee jug and plastic bag to poop in.

You know it's the simple logistics that will get you every time.  Wouldn't have even thought of a Pee jug....Thankfully I'm a first thing in the AM kinda guy for the other.  I couldn't fathom trying to do my business in the stand.

Pee jug is big we use a half gallon milk jug painted black with a short 6" rope to a carabiner don't want to tie and untie knots with gloves. You may wAnt to look into a stick ladder or screw in steps being our trees in the nw have lots of branches it also allows you to leave it for quite in and out the next day.  The hooyman saw very helpful for clearing shooting lanes. Pair of hand pruners also. If bow hunting a hanger is a must keep it high and to the left out of bow swing. Because your hunting black tails that means your on the WETside pic up a treestand umbrella it will help keeP you dry allowing you to sit longer. Dress light for the hike in but have lots of layers to put on don't wanna start sweating and sit in soaked gear. In early archery longest I've sat was 15 hrs in one day for the late season at -10 has been about 4 1/2  hrs dress eight layers deep. Good luck. Pm me for more questions or anything.

P.s. I'm so pumped mine are already hanging in the tree for sept 2. Ya baby

I like the idea of putting a carabiner on the pee jug idea and thanks for the reminder to dress in layers.

Offline whack em

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »
I too vote for the umbrella, they're worth their weight in gold.  I also keep a couple of those cloth tool bags zip tied to my stand for my harness, tree strap, tree hooks, pruners, saw, ect.  Before I climb up for what will be a long sit, I try my damnest to take a #2.  It never seems to fail that nature calls when I least want her to.

Since you're going with a climber, be sure to tie a short length of rope from your chair section to your foot platform section.  I had to go out to the woods with my climber once to help a friend out who managed to have his foot platform fall to the ground, leaving him seated for the entire day. (Still give the guy hell to this day)
"Civilized life has altogether grown too tame, and, if it is to be stable, it must provide a harmless outlets for the impulses which our remote ancestors satisfied in hunting." --Bertrand Russell

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:36:51 AM »
I too vote for the umbrella, they're worth their weight in gold.  I also keep a couple of those cloth tool bags zip tied to my stand for my harness, tree strap, tree hooks, pruners, saw, ect.  Before I climb up for what will be a long sit, I try my damnest to take a #2.  It never seems to fail that nature calls when I least want her to.

Since you're going with a climber, be sure to tie a short length of rope from your chair section to your foot platform section.  I had to go out to the woods with my climber once to help a friend out who managed to have his foot platform fall to the ground, leaving him seated for the entire day. (Still give the guy hell to this day)

:yeah:
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal