collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
What am I doing wrong?
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
So I went to Golden Gardens both Saturday and Sunday and didn't get a bite the whole time. I know, worst day of fishing beats best blah blah blah... So I'm hoping someone here takes pity on me and tells me what I'm doing wrong.

Both days I started fishing between 6:30 and 7 and fished the incoming tide. Both days I left around 9:30a. Saturday I used all lures, 2.5-3" buzz bombs and a point wilson dart. 2/0 barbless octopus hooks. I could wing them out a respectable distance but every single cast had me retrieving seaweed. It seemed like I was never getting into very deep water, but multiple online pages said you could catch Salmon off Golden Gardens with lures, and the place isn't that big. Lost all 3 lures. I pulled so much seaweed I was honestly wondering if I was making a dent in it.

Sunday, I used green herring, plug cut with a mooching rig (I couldn't find barbless, so I filled off the barbs). I used multiple sizes of hooks. I had a couple either cutthroat or small blackmouth (I could see them jumping, they were the size of planter lake trout) pecking at it, but nothing hooked. I didn't even get a dogfish.

I went to the Ballard Locks this last week and the ladders were full of fish, I'm starting to think Salmon are an elaborate ruse to watch some moron wade waist deep in cold salt water and throw little fish at other fish.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I have it on good authority that you can catch Kings in July off Golden Gardens, what am I doing wrong?

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:04 PM »
First off I would say your fishing for kings in July off Golden Gardens   :chuckle:  Next  time take a video camera and send it to Americas Funniest Video for a chance an 10 grand  :chuckle:  Other than that I haven't a clue   :dunno:

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »
You're going to have a very tough time getting a king there.  Right now, king fishing in the sound is very slow for people with boats, let alone those without.  The only fishing I know that gets good at Golden Gardens is for pinks, which won't happen this year.  I know people do alright for kings off the Edmonds pier.  Beyond that, I'd wait a bit and hit the rivers.  You can easily get into a lot of fish once they hit the rivers.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
get there while it's dark & fish till 7.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
You're going to have a very tough time getting a king there.  Right now, king fishing in the sound is very slow for people with boats, let alone those without.  The only fishing I know that gets good at Golden Gardens is for pinks, which won't happen this year.  I know people do alright for kings off the Edmonds pier.  Beyond that, I'd wait a bit and hit the rivers.  You can easily get into a lot of fish once they hit the rivers.

I think I’m going to try a couple different spots this weekend. I think I might get lucky.

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »
Are you seeing any fish activity?  Herring on the surface with birds hovering and diving?

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »
You weren't by chance eating bananas or banana bread of any kind were you?  If so, that would explain no bites. :twocents:

:llam:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Are you seeing any fish activity?  Herring on the surface with birds hovering and diving?

Nothing like on those discovery channel shows, but the gulls and a big ole hawk were cruising around about 100 feet off shore looking pretty intently at the water. Plus I saw a couple smaller fish (trout size) jump.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »
Good luck.  You won't catch them if you don't go.  You should plan on hitting the rivers.  There will be fish to be had here shortly.  Also, there are fish to be had now in the Sky.

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
The only place I know of you could possibly get Kings from the shore is an eastside lake if it opens. 

Did someone share salmon tactics for shore fishing and not specify the species?  :dunno:  If so, you might be thinking of Pinks; plenty of people catch limits from plenty of shorelines around here.

Offline James E

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »
If yosu do not have a boat, I would suggest taking the ferry to Kingston and head to Hansville. You can fish off the light house at pt. no point. I used to do this as a kid. I did fairly well with buzz bombs, for Kings.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal