collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What magnum do you suggest for a teen?  (Read 65516 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: What magnum do you suggest for a teen?
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »
also there is often a failure to be set up properly for making long range shots and it's hard to accomplish proper long range setup in many hunting situations.

I find the older, the stiffer and the fatter I get the harder this becomes :chuckle:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline nocken n notchen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
.300 weatherby or stw 7mag :twocents:

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:13 PM »
Great comments Rad, I would add that in my opinion some of the biggest mistakes in long range hunting is most hunters do not have the experience or training to qualify them as legitimate long range shooters, also there is often a failure to be set up properly for making long range shots and it's hard to accomplish proper long range setup in many hunting situations. I try to keep most shots on deer and bear at 250 yards or less and prefer 100 yard shots or less if possible. Elk are twice the size so you can almost double those yardages for elk and most hunters are proficient. Antelope and coyotes offer a bigger challenge due to their size and shooting distances involved, I've definitely seen a higher percentage of misses on those animals.

6k rifle- check
Multicam or Kryptek camo -check
Horus Kestrel- check
Uber cool rangefinder- check
UNS mount but no night vision gear- check
Super high post count on Snipers Hide- check

The ability to actually hit anything........... :o

:chuckle:

Do I still qualify if I only hang out on Long Range Hunting and not Snipers Hide? :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline WoodlandShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: P.H.U.
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
Great comments Rad, I would add that in my opinion some of the biggest mistakes in long range hunting is most hunters do not have the experience or training to qualify them as legitimate long range shooters, also there is often a failure to be set up properly for making long range shots and it's hard to accomplish proper long range setup in many hunting situations. I try to keep most shots on deer and bear at 250 yards or less and prefer 100 yard shots or less if possible. Elk are twice the size so you can almost double those yardages for elk and most hunters are proficient. Antelope and coyotes offer a bigger challenge due to their size and shooting distances involved, I've definitely seen a higher percentage of misses on those animals.

6k rifle- check
Multicam or Kryptek camo -check
Horus Kestrel- check
Uber cool rangefinder- check
UNS mount but no night vision gear- check
Super high post count on Snipers Hide- check

The ability to actually hit anything........... :o

:chuckle:

Do I still qualify if I only hang out on Long Range Hunting and not Snipers Hide? :dunno: :chuckle:

LMAO!!!

If it was not for LRH, I would still have the OEM sporter barrel and the old Redfield scope on my 270. That place is hard on the wallet.

(also a closet "Hide" poster as well)

hooker

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
To the OP. 

300 wsm in a Sako A7

Offline Damnimissed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »
To the OP. 

300 wsm in a Sako A7

Sako A7 Roughtech in 300 WM

I have a Sako A7 Big Game (cabelas exclusive) in .270 win, and I shot 5 in a .75 group with 150 gr Fed Fusions lol I was just trying to fire form some brass and get a feel for the rifle!

hooker

« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
I put 9 into .720 two nights ago!   And that was same powder/bullet/case/primer but 3 different charges.  One 3 shot group went .289(two in same hole) the next 3 shot group went .367(all 3 shots touching)  The third group with the highest charge went .720.  That was with a 270win and 130 Horns..

Also very typical of my 30-06 Sako A7.  The gun that got me hooked on the A7's both him and his son own a 300wsm and they shoot every weight bullet every brand they buy MOA.

I owned a Kimber Montana in 300wsm and it was a shooter two.  But I'm sold on the A7...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:34:23 PM by hooker »

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »
I put 9 into .720 two nights ago!   And that was same powder/bullet/case/primer but 3 different charges.  One 3 shot group went .289(two in same hole) the next 3 shot group went .367(all 3 shots touching)  The third group with the highest charge went .720.  That was with a 270win and 130 Horns..

Also very typical of my 30-06 Sako A7.  The gun that got me hooked on the A7's both him and his son own a 300wsm and they shoot every weight bullet every brand they buy MOA.

I owned a Kimber Montana in 300wsm and it was a shooter two.  But I'm sold on the A7...

I've had the exact opposite experience.  I really have to work to get 1" or better with my A7's (.270 & 7mm).  But my Kimbers' seem to shoot 1" or better with my eyes closed.  Now if only Kimber would make a 7Rem!! >:(  Must be different results from different body types :dunno:  I've been thinking about buying a McMillian stock for the A7 270WSM to see if that makes a difference for me.

hooker

« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »
I put mine in a Sako Classic with edge fill.  But that's not why mine shoots so good. It just came out of the box that way.  Sorry to hear about your A7's.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2014, 02:08:56 PM »
I put mine in a Sako Classic with edge fill.  But that's not why mine shoots so good. It just came out of the box that way.  Sorry to hear about your A7's.

I'm definitely not saying my A7's are bad in any way.  Just finicky with loads and shooting form whereas the other just seems to run on auto pilot.  I did not know I could get it to fit a Sako Classic stock!  Do you know if it will fit the 85 Laminated?  I'd assume so if the classic worked :dunno:

I also talked with a friend about the 7REM since that post .  He has been a long time fan of the round and really the one that turned me on to it as well.  I was shocked when he said the 7mm is temperamental to variations in throat lead angles.  He claims both the 270 and 30 calibers of the same speed are accepting of nearly any lead angle, but for some reason the 7mm is not.  Not even at 7-08 velocities!  Perhaps that is why both my Browning and A7 7Rem like one bullet and one bullet only.  I can get away with multiple powder charges, but both guns only shoot the Accubond well.  And I've tried a crud load of bullets in both rifles!  Food for thought anyway.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »
I have never been a 270 fan but in recent years I have ended up with a 270. I was recently reviewing ballistics and loading data and decided to buy some 95 gr TTSX. I think they will perform like an extreme magnum rifle out of the 270, I'm going to find out!  :dunno:

Charge Velocity Charge Velocity Load
RL 17 Powder (minimum 56.0grains, 3402 fps) (maximum 61.0 grains, 3709 fps)

Bearpaw,  I just finished trying to work up a load for the WSM using this 95 grain TTSX.  Hopefully you have more luck than I did.  My best load was 65 grains of RL17, bullet seated .045" off the lands producing 1.2" groups from a Sako that usually shoots around .875" with 140 grain Accubonds when I do my job correctly.  It sure made the gun a complete pleasure to shoot, but I think I am going to pick up some 110 grain TTSX and see if that doesn't show some improvement in accuracy over the 95.  I think I'll slow down the powder burn a little bit with the 110 and try IMR4350 at around 3,500.

On a similar note:   I also worked up a load for the .325 WSM and 160 grain TTSX using 68.5 grains of Norma URP (seems similar to RL17).  At .625" it is proving to be the most accurate load I've ever tested at 100 yards in my Montana.  At what I am guessing/calculating is between 3280 and 3300 it still kicks like an angry mule out of the light gun.  But dang does the gun stay on target well.  I'd say better than a 50% improvement on barrel jump over the 200 grain Accubond load.  I'm looking forward to whacking a bear with it in the next few days!  Wed' and Thurs' is suppose to drop below 80 degrees up on the hill.  Perfect bear weather!!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:41:37 PM by RadSav »

hooker

« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
Wish I could help with info on the Classic and 85 Laminated but I can't.  I don't know.  I do know that the folks at McMillan were very professional and very helpful every time I called them. Even though it took almost 8 months to get the stock it was a very good experience with McMillan and I was fully aware of timeline before I called them to order.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
Wish I could help with info on the Classic and 85 Laminated but I can't.  I don't know.  I do know that the folks at McMillan were very professional and very helpful every time I called them. Even though it took almost 8 months to get the stock it was a very good experience with McMillan and I was fully aware of timeline before I called them to order.

OK well that makes more sense.  I was thinking you were using the Sako made Classic stock and did modifications.  Knowing it is a McMillian in the Classic style  :DOH:  I should have put that together...My mistake!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2014, 01:59:58 AM »
I have never been a 270 fan but in recent years I have ended up with a 270. I was recently reviewing ballistics and loading data and decided to buy some 95 gr TTSX. I think they will perform like an extreme magnum rifle out of the 270, I'm going to find out!  :dunno:

Charge Velocity Charge Velocity Load
RL 17 Powder (minimum 56.0grains, 3402 fps) (maximum 61.0 grains, 3709 fps)

Bearpaw,  I just finished trying to work up a load for the WSM using this 95 grain TTSX.  Hopefully you have more luck than I did.  My best load was 65 grains of RL17, bullet seated .045" off the lands producing 1.2" groups from a Sako that usually shoots around .875" with 140 grain Accubonds when I do my job correctly.  It sure made the gun a complete pleasure to shoot, but I think I am going to pick up some 110 grain TTSX and see if that doesn't show some improvement in accuracy over the 95.  I think I'll slow down the powder burn a little bit with the 110 and try IMR4350 at around 3,500.

On a similar note:   I also worked up a load for the .325 WSM and 160 grain TTSX using 68.5 grains of Norma URP (seems similar to RL17).  At .625" it is proving to be the most accurate load I've ever tested at 100 yards in my Montana.  At what I am guessing/calculating is between 3280 and 3300 it still kicks like an angry mule out of the light gun.  But dang does the gun stay on target well.  I'd say better than a 50% improvement on barrel jump over the 200 grain Accubond load.  I'm looking forward to whacking a bear with it in the next few days!  Wed' and Thurs' is suppose to drop below 80 degrees up on the hill.  Perfect bear weather!!!

Rad, I was in Wisconsin for nearly 6 weeks remodeling my sister-in-laws house, just got back a couple days ago and still working on backed up work so haven't played with any guns in a while.

That sure sounds good with your 325 WSM! In my 340 Wtby the 160 TTSX seemed to shoot as well at about 3400 fps as anything else I've tried so far in that gun, that's pretty fast for a 160 bullet and it's a pleasure to shoot with excellent results on that one bear so far.

Doesn't sound so good for the 95 TTSX in your 270 WSM, maybe a different powder would help? When I get a chance I plan to load some 95 and 110 TTSX in a 270 Win, if they both shoot well I may even try some 85 TSX Flat base just to see what happens, LOL, the following is the Min/Max loads for those bullets, pretty incredible velocities for a 270 Win. I'll let you know how they work out.

270 Win Barnes Data
85 TSX-FB...RL-17....3609-3912 fps
95 TTSX......RL-17....3402-3709 fps
110 TTSX....Hunter...3321-3524 fps

Hopefully what we find out can help the OP as well, there must be some factory ammo with the 110 TTSX!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2014, 03:09:07 AM »
Doesn't sound so good for the 95 TTSX in your 270 WSM, maybe a different powder would help?
Hopefully what we find out can help the OP as well, there must be some factory ammo with the 110 TTSX!  :tup:

Nosler shows four loads for the 270 WSM with a 100 grain bullet and all four show best accuracy with minimum load weights.  Powders for Nosler are all over the place with fastest powder burn being RL-15, slowest burn being H4831SC and most accurate in the middle with IMR4350 at 3537fps.  Speer doesn't show a single load for the 100 grain with a powder slower than RL-15.  Barnes is showing best powder for accuracy with the 95 grain TTSX is Ramshot Hunter which is odd being how it is closer to RL-19 and slower than all the 4350 powders.  Hornady, like Nosler, is all over the board with RL-15 as the fastest burn, two 4350 powders and then the N-160 which should be almost the equivalent to the Ramshot Hunter.  I'm so confused!!! :yike:

Noslers test barrel is 26" while all the others are 24".  All have 1:10 twist rates.  The 95 grain is seated right at bore diameter depth in the WSM with one ring exposing the case mouth.  It wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility that I'm not getting sufficient alignment for the long Barnes bullet jump and powder isn't meaning anything at all :dunno:

I figured RL-17 would be a good compromise between the RL-15 and Ramshot Hunter while giving a bump in speed.  Looks like I was wrong!  Guess maybe I should try some Norma 203B (RL-15) and see if going faster burn would help. Then again... :bash:...I do have some RL-19 :chuckle:

Maybe I'll just see what the 110 TTSX has to offer before going crazy trying to figure out that 95 grain demon  :devil:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:16:54 AM by RadSav »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]