collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mule Deer Initiative for WA State  (Read 26093 times)

Offline AlpineMuley

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Mule Deer Initiative for WA State
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
You don't burn ur points in a special area if u kill a whitetail deer in a traditional mule area.  Ie entiat, winthrop,etc.  predator control second.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
This is the time for science-based decisions, on both dealing with this year's crisis, and the long-term future of management for our Mule Deer.  A 10+ year study on Mule Deer has just been finished in WA, and now the next step is to have a Mule Deer Initiative (MDI) written for our state.  This record fire has just added to the already needed habitat improvement, and now we may need to see season adjustments due to the loss of cover and habitat. (reference the Trinity Ridge fires near Boise, ID and the following slaughter of trophy Mule Deer because a season was left open with no restrictions.)
The gentleman who will be writing the MDI for WA state is looking for any and all information that can help us manage in the long term.  I will start up a new thread where we can all submit ideas and concerns, and I'll invite him to join the forum.  But, let's keep it civil and based on science and actual observations, so he won't leave after being pummeled verbally.  If we want to bash WDFW and it's practices (as we all do at times), let's leave it for another thread.  Look forward to reading and conversing with you all on what we can do now and in the future to better manage our Mule Deer herds.

Perhaps the OP's other post will clear things up a little bit. Hopefully he will do a full introduction when he comes back on.  :tup:

Yeah, well call me a skeptic but in my experience "science based" studies tend to lean toward the agenda of those doing the study, our recent cougar based plan coming as a result of "science" is just one recent example..........and a crock of sh@t if you ask me!

First off I would like to see this full study and have the background of those involved in implementing it and collecting the data.

Secondly, I'd like to know why they felt the study needed to be done in the first place and who funded it?

Third, Scott Fitkin has stated on numerous occasions that our mule deer herds are in good shape, and he is "the man" when it comes to knowledge in this field correct? WDFW felt the herds are in such good shape that they have increased the late permits the last two years consecutively, and why would they do that unless the herds were in good enough shape to sustain it? So who is really full of Sh@t here, Fitkin and WDFW, or those doing this "science based" study?

Or is this whole concoction made up to have us feel good about giving up more and more of our hunting?.........all in the name of "science"!!!!

This should be interesting!  
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline MuleDeer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »
Okay, introduction is coming now.
Yes, I am a lifetime member of the Mule Deer Foundation, as well as a member of lots of other groups.  I just happen to also work for the MDF as the Regional Director for Washington, Idaho and Alaska (we also do work for Blacktails).
As the RD for this region, my job is to increase awareness and spending in our region for the Mule Deer and Blacktails, and help find alternative ways to fund our (hunters) projects that we need to get done to help our herds.  I know from some of the comments on this forum and others that not all of you are big supporters of the conservation groups (read some of the turkey threads).  I was here during the "Heyday" of our turkey population growth, and served as the RD for the NWTF back in those days.  I know a ton of the guys on this forum that have been involved since the mid 90s, and we did some awesome work back then and had a blast doing it.
For the record, I don't have an agenda, but to help our MDI get written in the best way that it will serve our wildlife.  I have worked with and for many different conservation groups, and I chose to work with MDF because of the $$ they put back onto the ground.  If any of you would like specifics, let me know and I'd be happy to share examples, like spending over $112,000 in Idaho over two years, when the two chapters there only raised around $50,000.  The MDF will spend the dollars where they are needed, when the $$ are available.  We are a small group, but that is why we can put more dollars on the ground: we don't have a big staff or building fund that drains money from our fundraising.
This post isn't about this winter and what our needs will be by then, this one's about our MDI and the future of our Mule Deer.  As for the fundraising that I'm trying to do for the wildfires, it is completely separate and apart from the Mule Deer Foundation, because I know some don't want to give to a "group", but to a cause.
If any of you have ANY more questions at all, want to see what we've done and are doing locally as chapters, or would like to talk with me about anything that you have a question or concern about, feel free to call me, text me, or email me at the contact info below.  We need to make sure and get our suggestions in while we have the chance: this MDI is not being written by WDFW, but a biologist who cares immensely about these animals!

Dan McKinley
509-995-0819
dan@muledeer.org
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
This is the time for science-based decisions, on both dealing with this year's crisis, and the long-term future of management for our Mule Deer.  A 10+ year study on Mule Deer has just been finished in WA, and now the next step is to have a Mule Deer Initiative (MDI) written for our state.  This record fire has just added to the already needed habitat improvement, and now we may need to see season adjustments due to the loss of cover and habitat. (reference the Trinity Ridge fires near Boise, ID and the following slaughter of trophy Mule Deer because a season was left open with no restrictions.)
The gentleman who will be writing the MDI for WA state is looking for any and all information that can help us manage in the long term.  I will start up a new thread where we can all submit ideas and concerns, and I'll invite him to join the forum.  But, let's keep it civil and based on science and actual observations, so he won't leave after being pummeled verbally.  If we want to bash WDFW and it's practices (as we all do at times), let's leave it for another thread.  Look forward to reading and conversing with you all on what we can do now and in the future to better manage our Mule Deer herds.

Perhaps the OP's other post will clear things up a little bit. Hopefully he will do a full introduction when he comes back on.  :tup:

Yeah, well call me a skeptic but in my experience "science based" studies tend to lean toward the agenda of those doing the study, our recent cougar based plan coming as a result of "science" is just one recent example..........and a crock of sh@t if you ask me!

First off I would like to see this full study and have the background of those involved in implementing it and collecting the data.

Secondly, I'd like to know why they felt the study needed to be done in the first place and who funded it?

Third, Scott Fitkin has stated on numerous occasions that our mule deer herds are in good shape, and he is "the man" when it comes to knowledge in this field correct? WDFW felt the herds are in such good shape that they have increased the late permits the last two years consecutively, and why would they do that unless the herds were in good enough shape to sustain it? So who is really full of Sh@t here, Fitkin and WDFW, or those doing this "science based" study?

Or is this whole concoction made up to have us feel good about giving up more and more of our hunting?.........all in the name of "science"!!!!

This should be interesting!

Huntnphool, I understand your suspicion and caution with where you devote your time.  I've had to work with fish and game agencies for a number of years, sometimes against all odds.  But I still had to take every chance I had to try and make a difference, and this is one of those times that we have a real chance.  If decisions are based made on science, you wouldn't have a reason to doubt them.  Unfortunately, even when faced with the science, many states make decisions based on dollars, as in more opportunity with hunting than quality hunting.  You can see this difference with every western state and Canadian province.  But our MDI for WA is going to be written according to science and what is the best way to manage our Mule Deer.  It will still be necessary for us to keep a strong voice to show WDFW that we have numbers that make a difference.  Are we fighting a battle that is getting harder and harder to win? YES!  Should we just give up and complain? NO!  We still need to work at making a difference, and I'm trying to provide a forum for all of us to voice our ideas and opinions.  That's all.
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »
Okay, introduction is coming now.
Yes, I am a lifetime member of the Mule Deer Foundation, as well as a member of lots of other groups.  I just happen to also work for the MDF as the Regional Director for Washington, Idaho and Alaska (we also do work for Blacktails).
As the RD for this region, my job is to increase awareness and spending in our region for the Mule Deer and Blacktails, and help find alternative ways to fund our (hunters) projects that we need to get done to help our herds.  I know from some of the comments on this forum and others that not all of you are big supporters of the conservation groups (read some of the turkey threads).  I was here during the "Heyday" of our turkey population growth, and served as the RD for the NWTF back in those days.  I know a ton of the guys on this forum that have been involved since the mid 90s, and we did some awesome work back then and had a blast doing it.
For the record, I don't have an agenda, but to help our MDI get written in the best way that it will serve our wildlife.  I have worked with and for many different conservation groups, and I chose to work with MDF because of the $$ they put back onto the ground.  If any of you would like specifics, let me know and I'd be happy to share examples, like spending over $112,000 in Idaho over two years, when the two chapters there only raised around $50,000.  The MDF will spend the dollars where they are needed, when the $$ are available.  We are a small group, but that is why we can put more dollars on the ground: we don't have a big staff or building fund that drains money from our fundraising.
This post isn't about this winter and what our needs will be by then, this one's about our MDI and the future of our Mule Deer.  As for the fundraising that I'm trying to do for the wildfires, it is completely separate and apart from the Mule Deer Foundation, because I know some don't want to give to a "group", but to a cause.
If any of you have ANY more questions at all, want to see what we've done and are doing locally as chapters, or would like to talk with me about anything that you have a question or concern about, feel free to call me, text me, or email me at the contact info below.  We need to make sure and get our suggestions in while we have the chance: this MDI is not being written by WDFW, but a biologist who cares immensely about these animals!

Dan McKinley
509-995-0819
dan@muledeer.org

Welcome Dan and thanks for the reply.  :hello:

You may or may not be aware of our latest cougar plan implemented in this state and the study that spawned it, or perhaps the study that gives us our current wolf plan, both of which will probably explain my skepticism when someone is selling science based studies to us. I hope you were not offended! ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
 So to answer your original post without another long quote :chuckle:

Part of the issue I have is the need for the study to begin with and part of what I hit on in my first reply. For us to give you ideas and discuss this, means we must first ackmowledge that there is a problem to begin with, correct?

So there in lies the problem. We have MDF suggesting there is a issue, when at the same time we have the mule deer expert (Fitkin) in WDFW telling us that there is no problem.

You can certainly see the conflict here right? :chuckle:

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »
I do see your issue, and agree with you.  But we need and MDI whether this are problems or not (which there are).  MDF was the first "major" conservation group to be vocal about managing the wolf problems, and we weren't afraid to use the word kill.  One of the beauties of being a smaller group, is that we can say what we think, and not worry too much about offending the "PCers".  Our CEO spent an entire career as a wildlife biologist in Utah, and he wants us to be very active in decisions that are made in our respective states on mgmt.
I haven't personally met with Fitkin yet.  I prefer to go to the source, the man who wrote this study, and who will be writing our MDI.  I believe he knows more than anyone in this state on the status of our Mule Deer.  He is based in Spokane, so he doesn't have to deal with the building politics in Olympia, and he is a genuinely sincere guy in his agenda.
Maybe this will make you trust me more: last year I had the chance to sit with Jerry Nelson, our deer and elk mgr for WDFW, in his office in a one-on-one discussion.  First he wanted to know what we as MDF recommend and how we can help WDFW manage.  We had a good talk, but then he asked me about my personal opinions of how they manage and set the rules.  We still have a working relationship, but I haven't been invited back to his office!
I hope to work and speak with all of you as we get the chance, and I'd be happy to drive anywhere in the state to meet up with any of you if you'd like to spend more time talking over a coffee or a beer.  Just let me know, and I'll be on the road!  And, no offense taken; I understand your skepticism, and respect why you have it.  My job is to give you a great reason to have less of it by seeing things get done. :)

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:09 PM »
Draw only for modern, similar to Oregon.. Predators are next on the list.

With all due respect, you are 100% backwards on this. And a draw only for WA state would never be needed. Predator control is everything for Washington (and yes, I have plenty of time as a resident of WA and OR)

It isn't possible to compare OR to WA when it comes to mule deer country. Eastern OR is vastly different from eastern WA. Anyone who has spent any amount of time in both will know this. Eastern OR has minimal thick brush and brush-choked timber when compared to eastern WA. Being farther south and a dryer climate, OR has less cover for the mule deer. There is virtually no comparison though many hunters over the years have tried to compare them and say WA needs to adapt the same initiatives as Or.
Oregon's far more open eastern country led to a higher success rate on the mule deer (partially due to more hunters and the ability to shoot at rather long ranges) which resulted to tighter measures on antler restrictions and hunter numbers. Washington's 3 point minimum was a success compared to Oregon because of buck escapement during the hunting season. They can't escape without cover.
Again - there is absolutely no comparing OR to WA on the east side and mule deer.
The 3 point rule did not work in OR for obvious reasons but it is working well in WA.
A 'draw only' for eastern WA is not necessary and probably never will be. There is abundant cover for the deer in eastern WA and getting the predators under control would benefit WA and OR immensely. We have suffered from too many predators for the past 30 years now and we are seeing our hunting opportunities vanish due to this destructive management practice. This is part of agenda 21. Until hunters get management back, hunting opportunities will continue to suffer.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »
I do see your issue, and agree with you.  But we need and MDI whether this are problems or not (which there are).  MDF was the first "major" conservation group to be vocal about managing the wolf problems, and we weren't afraid to use the word kill.  One of the beauties of being a smaller group, is that we can say what we think, and not worry too much about offending the "PCers".  Our CEO spent an entire career as a wildlife biologist in Utah, and he wants us to be very active in decisions that are made in our respective states on mgmt.
I haven't personally met with Fitkin yet.  I prefer to go to the source, the man who wrote this study, and who will be writing our MDI.  I believe he knows more than anyone in this state on the status of our Mule Deer.  He is based in Spokane, so he doesn't have to deal with the building politics in Olympia, and he is a genuinely sincere guy in his agenda.
Maybe this will make you trust me more: last year I had the chance to sit with Jerry Nelson, our deer and elk mgr for WDFW, in his office in a one-on-one discussion.  First he wanted to know what we as MDF recommend and how we can help WDFW manage.  We had a good talk, but then he asked me about my personal opinions of how they manage and set the rules.  We still have a working relationship, but I haven't been invited back to his office!
I hope to work and speak with all of you as we get the chance, and I'd be happy to drive anywhere in the state to meet up with any of you if you'd like to spend more time talking over a coffee or a beer.  Just let me know, and I'll be on the road!  And, no offense taken; I understand your skepticism, and respect why you have it.  My job is to give you a great reason to have less of it by seeing things get done. :)

Well that is a breath of fresh air, management without politics, who would have thunk it! :tup:

Thanks again Dan, looking forward to meeting you!

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 10:56:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far, and keep them coming.  So far, the ideas look like ones that are going to be included in the MDI (awesome to see we are on the same page for the most part).  The MDF is currently working with UofW and funding a research study on fawn mortality in areas inhabited by wolves vs. no wolves.  Predator control is an important issue, and getting worse every year as the wolves inhabit more area.
Please keep the comments coming, and we'll compile them, together with justifications or further questions, and present them during the initial stages of our MDI writing.  Thanks guys!

Offline Todd_ID

• Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
2 things from me.

First, I know MuleDeer and Phool personally. Both are above reproach in their desire to advance the species.  Both also are stubborn enough to not give in.  That is good for the deer.

Second, we need to kill less mule deer in the Blues. Our herd is down 40%. Shooting 3500 bucks a year in this small of an area simply doesn't work. Go to permit only for all mule deer hunting for rifle season for 10 years. Give 250 tags per unit or so to make people feel like they have a chance. Whitetail is still OTC.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 12:17:24 AM »
I know MuleDeer too, how are you Dan, this is Dale from Colville, welcome to the forum.  :hello:

Question: Was the MDF involved in writing the muledeer initiative in Idaho? There was a lot of talk about how that was going to help southern Idaho but honestly I have not seen much for results. The youth hunts are killing so many mule deer doe that the herd cannot recover plus as soon as we gain a few numbers another winter takes it's toll. When IDFG do feed during a bad winter it's seems so late and limited in scope that I don't think it does much good.

Question: I would like to know who you have writing your mule deer initiative, please send me a pm if you choose to not post the name publicly.

Comment: In Washington think the 3 pt rule has helped maintain a much better ratio of bucks to does than we had 20 years ago, but in the northeast we have so many predators that the overall number of mule deer just continues to drop. Many people blame the Colville tribe but honestly the tribe does not hunt the whole NE corner and all units have declining mule deer numbers. Therefore I say 4 legged predators are the major problem. As long as predators are eating so many deer I don't even think closing mule deer hunting completely will remedy the decline. You can inspect the existing winter range and there are very few mule deer even on closed access winter range. Additionally, we must get the USFS to the table, habitat is probably the next biggest problem, Conservation Northwest is running the USFS and they are not allowing logging, much of our national forests have turned into old growth timber with little habitat for browsing animals. If we lowered predator numbers and started gaining mule deer numbers we would need better habitat if the mule deer population doubled or tripled to what it used to be in the northeast. Winter feeding during harsh winters needs to be considered to save mule deer from these cyclical winter dieoffs, we don't have enough mule deer to recover the herds after natural dieoffs during harsh winters. Other considerations are domestic dogs and auto collisions. For a mule deer initiative to be truly effective it will need to cover all bases to reduce mule deer losses from all causes.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 08:24:25 AM »
Start trapping coyotes.  Have more coyote contests, maybe even state sponsored derbys.  Have open season on wolves, just like coyotes.

Draw only for muleys and eliminate the 3 point minimum requirement.

Protect the wintering herds by gating off areas and don't give keys to the tribes.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
Welcome to the site Dan and thanks for your efforts. From my perspective, there are a great many things working against science-based decisions being made in this state by the WDFW - industrial concerns, a greater emphasis on fisheries than wildlife, and a rapidly decreasing hunter base in this state, more rapidly that the national trend. This has the administration making decisions geared more toward attraction and retention than purely science-based wildlife concerns, simply out of self-preservation. Of course, with the rate of hunter decline here, the pressure on mulies and other ungulates may drop all on its own without further protection. You've got your work cut out for you for sure.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »
There is quite a bit of information out there, sitting in apparently private files. I spoke twice to the Muckelshoot biologist who was doing a radio collar mule deer study in Joe Watt Canyon which is next to my house. I also know they and the other tribes have information regarding tribal mule deer harvest in various units around the state. There is also information someplace regarding predator population and distribution in the state. Somebody keeps track of non tribal hunting reports and there are others doing research as well.  As with so much information in Washington, that information seems only to be given to those with the right connections or who can be managed. If all of the available and accurate, non-manipulated information could be made available to an independent impartial study group such as MDF for development of recommendations there would certainly be some productive results.

I recently joined MDF and am pleased so far.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal