collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: to shoot, or not to shoot  (Read 11839 times)

Offline grousefether

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • nothing wrong with being a meat hunter
to shoot, or not to shoot
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:12 AM »
 :dunno:     so WDFW has clearly decided not to manage our wolf population. There pathetic attempt to convince ranchers and hunters in e wa that " those are yote tracks. There are no wolves in that area." Is an absolute joke. So here's it is..... if the state wont protect our wildlife do we just sit back and watch? We all know the consequences of getting caught dumping a wolf, and thats the dilemma. When u spot a wolf on that hillside and hes standing there broad side do you send some lead and be part of the solution or let it go and be part of the problem. I really dont know witch I would choose personally. I do know that it doesn't matter how much money the state is holding in front of me, I would never turn in the guy that chooses to take the shot. Just wondering if anybody else has any input
Keep working fellas. Millions on welfare depend on us

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: to shoot, or not to shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »
A) There are only a few wolves in WA
B) Poaching is illegal
C) Glad you are the one that decides who breaks the law and pays the price or not

:dunno:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:40:28 AM »
There are plenty of threads here that have been down this road. 

The likely responses will be "SSS," "SSS is poaching," "I would not condone illegal activity," "I would (would not) report illegal activity," "I feel for you guys/gals that have to deal with WDFW incompetence and duplicity," "how dare you impugn the hardworking folks in the WDFW," admonishments that this is not a good place to discuss illegal activity even if it concerns wolf damage, "you are a low-post-count, wolf-loving troll," "yeah thats," etc.

I think that about covers it.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
There are plenty of threads here that have been down this road. 

The likely responses will be "SSS," "SSS is poaching," "I would not condone illegal activity," "I would (would not) report illegal activity," "I feel for you guys/gals that have to deal with WDFW incompetence and duplicity," "how dare you impugn the hardworking folks in the WDFW," admonishments that this is not a good place to discuss illegal activity even if it concerns wolf damage, "you are a low-post-count, wolf-loving troll," "yeah thats," etc.

I think that about covers it.

I think Flounders covered the whole future thread and sucked the suspense right out of it.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:46 AM »
Folks, be careful of folks trying to bait you into posting with responses that would be illegal. There are those out there that would use your post against those of us who would like to LEGALLY hunt wolves in this state.

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
Gonna throw this out there to go along with what Grundy said...
With as much time as wdfw spends monitoring this site along with other social networking sites, admitting to illegally shooting wolves is about the fullest thing you could possibly do on huntwa.
I'll leave it at that and move along.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:59:34 AM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »
Point taken.

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »
New to this forum and was just looking to vent I suppose

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
I'd say that is fair enough. It has been hashed over pretty well and sometimes, more often than not, very heated.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
Welcome to hunt wa.  My post was not meant to impugn your motive.  Venting is one thing.  Asking others to cop to or condone illegal activity in print media is another.  We don't need the latter, here, but useful experience and legal suggestions are certainly desired.  Stay a while.

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I get it. legally hunting these critters should be the goal. Getting red in the face and spouting off counterproductive comments probably doesnt help. Just hard to keep your cool when you actually start digging into what these suites are doing in Olympia. It sucks.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
:dunno:     so WDFW has clearly decided not to manage our wolf population. There pathetic attempt to convince ranchers and hunters in e wa that " those are yote tracks. There are no wolves in that area." Is an absolute joke. So here's it is..... if the state wont protect our wildlife do we just sit back and watch? We all know the consequences of getting caught dumping a wolf, and thats the dilemma. When u spot a wolf on that hillside and hes standing there broad side do you send some lead and be part of the solution or let it go and be part of the problem. I really dont know witch I would choose personally. I do know that it doesn't matter how much money the state is holding in front of me, I would never turn in the guy that chooses to take the shot. Just wondering if anybody else has any input

I would see if I could get closer to the wolf, take some great pictures, maybe see if I could pet it a little bit. Get my wife to take pictures of me and the wolf getting along so well. If I had my dogs with me, I would introduce them to the wolf so that they could become friends, and the wolf could tell the rest of the wolves that we all need to get along.

If the wolf was wearing a collar I would try to see if it had any info on when he was released and whether WDFW or the USFWS released him/her and in which year. After all the wolves are here to stay, and I'm sure after this fire, more will be "migrating" in from ID, MT, WY, NC Alberta, Southern British Columbia etc.,  after all wolves make the aspen grow, balance the ecosystem and beavers flourish.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
I get it. legally hunting these critters should be the goal. Getting red in the face and spouting off counterproductive comments probably doesnt help. Just hard to keep your cool when you actually start digging into what these suites are doing in Olympia. It sucks.
Venting is fine. You just have to remember this is an open forum and anti hunters as well as WDFW monitor this site heavily. Also whatever you post is permanent.

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
Again........ I get it. I was intending for the topic to lean tward the idea that as more and more wolves move into this state, more and more people will start thinking like this after they see the physical damage in front of them. Its also going to be harder for the state to minimize the issue and keep people convinced that wolves are a welcome addition to our ecosystem. Im not advocating poaching.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »
:dunno:     . I do know that it doesn't matter how much money the state is holding in front of me, I would never turn in the guy that chooses to take the shot. Just wondering if anybody else has any input

That is advocating poaching.

I agree with points you are making after your first post. However, whether venting or not, sportsman can not and should not advocate breaking the law in any way shape or form. Your scenario is a wolf on a hillside. That is a far cry from a rancher protecting his stock or a sportsman protecting themselves or possibly a hound.

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
I never said that wolf on the hillside should be shot. Im saying, the states failure on this issue has put that thought in alot of peoples heads. Even if its just a fleeting thought. Please dont try and label me as condoning poaching. Trust me thats not who I am. Im really thinking my post is being misconstrued.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
:dunno:      When u spot a wolf on that hillside and hes standing there broad side do you send some lead and be part of the solution or let it go and be part of the problem. I really dont know witch I would choose personally. I do know that it doesn't matter how much money the state is holding in front of me, I would never turn in the guy that chooses to take the shot. Just wondering if anybody else has any input

Please tell me how "let it go and be part of the problem" does not suggest that regardless of the legality the shot should be taken?

I'm not trying to label you. You have said that you would not turn in a wolf poacher? How about a 2pt in a 3pt area? A native fish? Grouse out of season? I don't think you post is being misconstrued. I'm taking it at face value and don't believe that it paints you or sportsman in a very good light.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »
I think he gets your point to. Let's kinda take it easy here before this turns as far south as so many threads before.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
Roger that.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
Thanks man.  :tup:

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 11:42:49 AM »
This looked like a train wreck but seems it may have pulled out.

We understand the frustration!  But, we need to fix it with those in charge....or at least try.  IF an idiot makes a poor decision, don't blame the decision.  Also, if you fix it for him, he's still an idiot and will make more.

Need real wildlife leaders who favor conservation over preservation.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
Not tryin to be the new guy that gets everyone fired up. Different poeple have different opinions for different reasons.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
Absolutely. This is just a very "touchy" subject with everybody. We just need to be sure that we aren't putting things out on the www that can harm all sportsmen and women.  :twocents:

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
10 4

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
Also...there are normal rythms to the posts.......lots of time to nitpick when not much is open as far as hunting. Let the seasons get going and we will have a lot less time to worry these threads to badly.

By all means welcome to the forum and don't let any of my comments get under your skin. Looking forward to seeing you with a whitetail on the ground and a few more of those birds.

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 12:06:14 PM »
Ya man. No worries.

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
No worries. Thanks and good luck if your bear huntin next weekend. You obviously know what your doin :tup:

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »
I will say this and its not illegal.  If there are “no wolves" how can you get in trouble for poaching said wolf?  If the game department wants to sit there and tell you it is coyote how can he tell you you now shot a wolf when he stood there and told you it was a coyote.  I wouldn't shoot one.  Not worth it but if there was a game warden sitting there looking at it telling me it is a coyote those are legal to shoot.
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »
No worries. Thanks and good luck if your bear huntin next weekend. You obviously know what your doin :tup:

Meh...right time right place when it comes down to it. I'll be out....check the cam setion...."fat bottom girls...." I'll be in there looking for him.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »

I would see if I could get closer to the wolf, take some great pictures, maybe see if I could pet it a little bit. Get my wife to take pictures of me and the wolf getting along so well. If I had my dogs with me, I would introduce them to the wolf so that they could become friends, and the wolf could tell the rest of the wolves that we all need to get along.

If the wolf was wearing a collar I would try to see if it had any info on when he was released and whether WDFW or the USFWS released him/her and in which year. After all the wolves are here to stay, and I'm sure after this fire, more will be "migrating" in from ID, MT, WY, NC Alberta, Southern British Columbia etc.,  after all wolves make the aspen grow, balance the ecosystem and beavers flourish.

:chuckle:

Im guessing your using a new strategy to change the hearts and minds of people? Are you tired of posting all those articles? I much prefer this method of using the absurd to show absurdity.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 06:09:39 AM »

:chuckle:

Im guessing your using a new strategy to change the hearts and minds of people? Are you tired of posting all those articles? I much prefer this method of using the absurd to show absurdity.

I'm just trying to appease the pro-wolf crowd, I figured if I throw some pro-wolf language in every so often a few of them wouldn't get their panties in a twist so quick. It seems to be working quite well so far.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]