collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Packing out meat  (Read 15378 times)

Offline BetoBow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Packing out meat
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:41:50 AM »
I am hoping to face this dilemma this year but I need to know what hunters already do. Say you harvested an elk  :IBCOOL:  but you are 2-3 miles from your truck and you are doing a solo hunt. How would you pack out your meat? How do you prevent 4-legged and 2-legged critters from taking your meat since it will take a couple of trips to pack it out.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Packing out meat
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
To get this rolling, please provide a bit more information.  What time of year will you be hunting, and, bull or cow/calf harvest (makes a difference on how the pack out business will go)?  This should be a very good thread BetoBow; thanks for starting it up.   
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline BetoBow

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:24:18 AM »
Great point thank you Phantom16. I am going to be hunting early archery and stuck with spike or cow. Hope to get great ideas from seasoned hunters.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »
any way you can cool it do it . get if off the bone if possible , a creek can be your fiend . I often carry garbage bags in may pack . you can submerge meat and keep it dry. pack out the thickest and best cuts first and get them on ice. the reality is if it's hot the chance of losing meat is good . look for alternate routes in and out of your area much easyier packing down hill than up. have a game plan and get to work quick . never let a animal sit overnight in sept to hot plus preditors. I woory little about meat getting ate but if you leave a piece of sweaty clothing or mark the area if you know what I mean it can help. just getting a animal to your truck is half the battle have your plan once you get there .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
Hunt with a pack frame on and carry game bags/sheets. 
Shoot, tag, quarter (boneless method), get the quarters out of the sun, make your first trip out count with a loaded pack.
Don't worry about 2 or 4 legged critters, it's not likely to be an issue.

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
Shoot it, recover it, tag it, skin it, gutless quarter it, debone the meat, hang in game bags in the shade near a creek (or build a log bridge over the creek and place game bagged meat on the bridge to cool down beig sure it isn't getting splashed on, load up your pack and go. By yourself, a cow or spike shouldn't take more than 3 trips.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
Hunt with a pack frame on and carry game bags/sheets. 
Shoot, tag, quarter (boneless method), get the quarters out of the sun, make your first trip out count with a loaded pack.
Don't worry about 2 or 4 legged critters, it's not likely to be an issue.

:yeah:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »
Newby here with question, maybe further discussion..  I have heard people mention garbage bags.  Could those be used to seal up and thus put meat in a creek if available for both cooling and lowering scent window for 4 leggers?

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
I like to find an area with a lot of trees near a creek or spring.  You will feel the cool temperature then hang it in a tree with rope.  It gets cooled down while you are packing it out and most critters can't get to it.
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
Newby here with question, maybe further discussion..  I have heard people mention garbage bags.  Could those be used to seal up and thus put meat in a creek if available for both cooling and lowering scent window for 4 leggers?

Only reason to wrap in a bag is if you are going to put it in the water otherwise the bag will not allow meat to cool and just make matters worse. Good game bags work the best for all other scenarios
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
I use these bags for creek dunking as they are foodsafe.  Trash bags have nasty, nasty stuff in them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Double-Zipper-XX-Large-3-Count/dp/B003U6FMOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406334938&sr=8-1&keywords=ziploc+xxl

Look up hanging bear bags, to keep critters away you want it suspended - not on the ground and not on or near a branch.  If it is extra hot or a longer pack, taking the time to bone out will help with both weight and cooling.

If you haven't done it before, I found this DVD to be a great help:

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-QD-101-Quarter-De-bone/dp/B000VIWIOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406335095&sr=8-1&keywords=outdoor+edge+dvd

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »

I wouldn't put anything in a garbage bag I was going to eat. :twocents:
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 06:43:32 PM »
2 miles should not be a problem. If you ever do use a creek place the meat in cotton game bags before you put them in plastic contractor bags. Boned out many in hot weather left meat in the shade never lost any to spoilage. When you get back to camp if you have a large cooler with dry ice that would also be nice

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 07:10:45 PM »
In over 30 years of hunting I have only lost meat to yellow jackets and camp robbers.  I pay little worry to losing meat to predators.  Especially if I'm only a couple miles from the truck.  I have seen deer left over night before recovery have their a-holes and livers taken out by yotes.  But never actually witnesses a predator getting boned out meat hanging in a game bag.

When packing solo more than a mile back I prefer to leapfrog my meat out.  Seems easier on the body and that last load doesn't seem nearly as excruciating.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Packing out meat
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »
Last year we had to use the creek to cool off the meat during general rifle season. I shot my bull opening morning, nice clear warm day. Dropped the spike bout 9:30am finally back to camp bout 6:15pm after quartering and packing out meat. We hung the quarters in the tree with sheets that nite then the next morning we dropped it into the creek due to the temperature rise. The rest of the season was cool where we were out of Yakima. We went home that Friday and we spent Saturday and Sunday butchering meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal