collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Packing out meat  (Read 15376 times)

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Packing out meat
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
I bone it out and lay the meat out anywhere I can to give it a head start cooling.  Fred Meyer carries a canvas type laundry bag in their sporting goods section (I think the brand is Cooligans?) that is cheap, durable and (most importantly) light weight.  The laundry bag also comes with a draw string.  It is better then many of the game bags that you buy as they are far lighter in weight.  They are typically a one-use type bag for me but I have used them in the backcountry and they have held up very well. 

I too like the leap frog method and never worry too much about leaving meat overnight in either bear or wolf country. 

Offline swisski

• Tracker
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »
I was to the east Packwood lake on a ridge and in a clearing there was a complete living room furnishings! Couch,easy chair with side tables and even lamps.I can only imagine how they got up there at 5k'

I'm am simply blown away by this.... That's a fairly rugged area and back a ways from anybody being able to easily do this. You see the weirdest things out there at times I swear. Good thread anyhow.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
This year one of the guys didnt find his deer before dark.  Found the front half of it the next morning.  NE Wa.  Darn bears. It does happen.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline mossyhead

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »
I carry a newspaper delivery bag in my pack along with 1 gallon ziplocs and quarter bags. I immediately quarter and debone all meat, get it into the ziplocs and start the haul out. I put the first load into my newspaper bag and remaining ziplocs left unzipped into an elk quarter bag. This allows for quicker cooling while the first load goes out. 9 times out of ten I can make two trips and get it all. I use this same method for hauling deer as an entire mule deer quartered and all trimmings will fit in the bag. If the terrain is too steep I will bone the deer out though. I use the bag with front and rear pouches which your head slips through the middle of. When you are all done stick it in a five gallon bucket with bleach water, put a rock on it and rinse it out a day later.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 08:14:22 AM »
I've long wished that I had kept my old delivery bags.  Do they even make those anymore?

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 08:59:32 AM »
Just buy the T.A.G.S bomb bags kit. I've put an entire boned out bull in that kit and I think it weighs 9 oz. ziplocks? I never put meat I want cooling down in a seald plastic bag

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »
I've long wished that I had kept my old delivery bags.  Do they even make those anymore?
There's actually a company that makes camo ones just for packing out meat. They're called pack bags. I bought one from a guy off this site and it works pretty good.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
There's actually a company that makes camo ones just for packing out meat. They're called pack bags. I bought one from a guy off this site and it works pretty good.
As a young teen, I had the Times, the Tribune and the News.  They would also make great decoy bags.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 06:06:30 PM »
I've found that  skinning and quartering with the bone in and then hang the quarters using paracord. Debone the hanging quarters straight into a game bag.  Keeps your meat clean.I use pillow cases for game bags. They can hold a lot of meat.

Offline mossyhead

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
The name of the company I bought mine from is Steel City Corp. The bags carry both front and rear and have florescent striping on both sides. They are made of a durable canvas much like wall tent material. Oh, and the ziplocs- I hunt somewhat cooler weather than some of you so I have never had a problem with meat going bad in a ziploc; in fact, the bags cool much nicer than a solid blob of meat in a game bag. Been using this for years and would put it up against any pack board. The nice thing is that you don't have to haul one around all day.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
I used this bag just this week on an animal 7 miles in (and down hill most of the way) and am amazed on how well it always holds up.  This year I couldn't find it at Fred Meyers as they changed their sporting goods a little bit since I was in last.  I found the bag at Sportsman's though.  I don't remember how much it cost but it was cheap and after I got it home I just threw it away.

I bone it out and lay the meat out anywhere I can to give it a head start cooling.  Fred Meyer carries a canvas type laundry bag in their sporting goods section (I think the brand is Cooligans?) that is cheap, durable and (most importantly) light weight.  The laundry bag also comes with a draw string.  It is better then many of the game bags that you buy as they are far lighter in weight.  They are typically a one-use type bag for me but I have used them in the backcountry and they have held up very well. 

I too like the leap frog method and never worry too much about leaving meat overnight in either bear or wolf country.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]