collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ecaller + decoy for Elk this year?  (Read 6489 times)

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Ecaller + decoy for Elk this year?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 12:08:53 AM »
might want to call the WDFW and clarify before you do this. My brothers father in law is a fisheries biologist and I was asking him about electronic calls the other day. He says it doesn't say anything in the regs about it but he said last he heard from is game warden buddies they are illegal period. Thats even for coyotes.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »
If it were illegal it would say so in the pamphlet. It has always seemed odd to me that they made electronic calls illegal for deer, but not elk. ???

But, that's the law. I've read it myself. Lots of people use electronic calls for coyotes and I'm sure all game wardens are aware of that. So I find it hard to believe that a game warden would say that it wasn't even legal for coyotes. Maybe he just misunderstood what was said.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Ecaller + decoy for Elk this year?
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 06:22:31 AM »
If it were illegal it would say so in the pamphlet. It has always seemed odd to me that they made electronic calls illegal for deer, but not elk. ???

But, that's the law. I've read it myself. Lots of people use electronic calls for coyotes and I'm sure all game wardens are aware of that.

So I find it hard to believe that a game warden would say that it wasn't even legal for coyotes. Maybe he just misunderstood what was said.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 06:35:14 AM »
might want to call the WDFW and clarify before you do this. My brothers father in law is a fisheries biologist and I was asking him about electronic calls the other day. He says it doesn't say anything in the regs about it but he said last he heard from is game warden buddies they are illegal period. Thats even for coyotes.

The bold portion explains it all.

Offline _TONY_

• TWO BAD HOMBRES
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Sagebrush junkie
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 06:43:44 AM »
Personally, I'd like to see some restrictions on electric calls in terms of elk.... Before you know it, every new hunter will be strolling through the woods with their boom boxes blasting elk tracks down every ridge...

For me, elk calling is a skill and a life long accomplishment, not a downloaded mp3

Just my  :twocents:   

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »
Also, those calls sound like elk, but you can't possibly get that chest pounding grunt out of a speaker. That goes a long way in selling yourself as a 600lb bull.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:23 AM »
I have to chime in here. We recently went coyote hunting with a FoxPro type caller and in the only two setups that we did we called in cow elk both times using the fawn in distress call for a coyote. It was amazing. Don't know if I would make it a practice but it definitely works.!

There's a big difference between calling coyotes and calling elk. I wouldn't be inclined to use an electronic call just because you're having to set it up and control it, and hope elk come to it. You may be able to bring in a loner cow and calf from a distance, but I think it'd be doubtful that you'll bring in a bull or any numbers of elk together. It would depend on a lot of luck coming your way. Increasing your success is going to be predicated on locating and getting close enough to be a threat. Once you do that, things happen pretty fast and you're going to be more tied up with your bow and unable to work a caller remote.

I like the decoy for lone hunting (or otherwise), but the e-calling setup isn't conducive to moving on the elk and leaving your hands free to shoot. Use a mouth reed, even if only to make cow and calf sounds.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
Personally, I'd like to see some restrictions on electric calls in terms of elk.... Before you know it, every new hunter will be strolling through the woods with their boom boxes blasting elk tracks down every ridge...

For me, elk calling is a skill and a life long accomplishment, not a downloaded mp3

Just my  :twocents:   

More restrictions = more loss of opportunity down the road.
Take away the one use you DON'T approve of very well could lead to the elimination of the use you DO approve of.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »
A quick search is all it takes.

Can I use electronic decoys or electronic calls to hunt game species during open seasons?

It depends. You cannot hunt waterfowl, wild turkeys, or deer with the use or aid of battery-powered or other electronic devices as decoys. You cannot hunt waterfowl, wild turkeys, or deer with the use or aid of electronic calls.
You can use electronic decoys or electronic calls to hunt other game species.

Offline bur04024

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
Do you think WDFW considers Elk just a large member of the deer family? Even though they use their names when referring to each species, I wouldn't want to hope a warden was having a "good" day as opposed to a "bad" one.  :twocents: :sry:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »
I certainly don't support restrictions on practices I don't take part in. All hunters should be supporting each other in legal hunting methods. We stick together as a group. If you don't like the use of electronic calls, don't use them.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 06:15:37 AM »
 :yeah:  I'm with Piano.   :tup:

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 06:15:50 AM »
I used one a few years ago and called in 3 different guys.  Not sure why they were coming to a cow elk in a spike only GMU?  If you want to shoot pumpkins then use the E caller :bash:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 07:16:43 AM »
I could see using the ecall in a situation where you have the call behind you or to the side just as if you had a calling partner.

I would use Audacity to create long loops of cow calls so I didn't have to fidget with the remote so much. Use the presets for specific elk sounds, let the long loop run, but turn the volume down when not needed.

Audacity tutorials http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,61908.0.html

I do this for setting up my cougar calling sequences.

You could probably use the ecall for cow talk back behind you ( just a loop of cows chatting and do all the bull talk yourself to seem like your the bull keeping in between  his cows and the real bull :dunno:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »
I used one a few years ago and called in 3 different guys.  Not sure why they were coming to a cow elk in a spike only GMU?  If you want to shoot pumpkins then use the E caller :bash:
Elk being herd animals, I would move in when I heard a cow in hopes of finding a herd and something legal in or around the herd...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]