collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reporting bear baiting  (Read 30079 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Reporting bear baiting
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
Sure it isn't a legal bait?  Tribal?

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
Sure it isn't a legal bait?  Tribal?
No tribes for miles. Of course that doesn't mean anything though. It's a decent hike to the nearest road

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
Bottom line. The "Rat" call to snitch a bait pile out doesn't = Revenue/cash/ fine. Without some boots on the ground and that means time and wages in a already tight budget. Waste of time, move on.

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
I report it as well.   Baiting is work and took time and effort to set up.  Doubt they were just looking for their two bears to tag,  more than likely going to kill every bear that came to the bait.   Gall bladders still sell too,  I view it the same as others,  the baiting law probably won't be the only law they will be breaking.

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
I am all for baiting bear, but illegal is illegal..it takes unfair advantage over the rest of us doing it legally. We don't make the laws, but we all need to obey them, or politic to get them changed. When I guided for bears in the Methow thru the 80's, I would run at least 50 bait sites a year. Chased them with walkers and black and tans. Since the ban, my personal success hasn't changed at all. (Hunt em like Rad) but you can be sure, if I saw an illegal bait, I would not hesitate to turn them in. Wish more on here shared that view...

And Iceman, no worry..heard it all before..but thanks
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »
Bottom line. The "Rat" call to snitch a bait pile out doesn't = Revenue/cash/ fine. Without some boots on the ground and that means time and wages in a already tight budget. Waste of time, move on.
Your really pulling for the guy with the bait site aren't you. Is it yours Biggerhammer?

Just messing with ya.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
Could be .. I lost a couple Twinkie's out of my pack the other day. If it was a twin pack of Twinkie's with a receipt from Safeway dated around the 19th I'm guilty and you can call me in. :tup:

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
Now if I got OIL tag preference points for reporting them... :chuckle:
Bonus points are given only for deer and elk. Turning in someone who is baiting bear illegally would qualify.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=232-28-291

6. Citizen reward for reporting violations - bonus points: A person who provides information which contributes substantially to the arrest of another person for illegally hunting or killing big game or an endangered species as defined by Title 77 RCW is eligible to receive ten bonus points toward the special hunting permit drawing for one application category of deer or elk special hunting season permits.

Is reporting a bait site really contributing substantially to the arrest of another person for illegally hunting or killing big game?  I seriously doubt it is.  If it is,  maybe I will report the next one I come across during elk season  :dunno:

Last time I reported an illegally shot spike it took the WDFW officer two weeks to call me asking where to go from the GPS co-ords I gave them.  Nothing but bones and raven poop by then I expect.  How long do you think it would take them to find or care to look for a bear bait?  Do you honestly think they care enough to set up a trap and catch someone and then give the reporter substantial credit for the arrest.  Again I seriously doubt it.

If I ever seriously thought there was a poaching ring to sell bear baculum and gall bladder and kill more than a single bear I would probably make the call.  But if I stumble across one during elk season (when I usually find them) and it looks like some teen has just thrown out a bunch of dog food and a can of spam I treat it much the same as watching some guy in Oregon smoking weed...just keep on walking and figure that's his problem.

I'm definitely not going to tell someone who wants to report a bait to not do it.  If that is your idea of being a good steward then by all means make the call.  But I myself feel it's a waste of time.  I guess if you really wanted the 10 preference points you could set up a camera and try to capture the hunters and license plate of their vehicle.  That might accomplish something and lead to some bonus points as well!

Just make sure you aren't turning in Raydog for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Leaving him to have to defend himself in court because he has a legally obtained bear in his freezer. :yike:

BTW - Thanks to Biggerhammer for leaving me those Twinkie's at the rock pit.  I was starving after a long day sighting in the rifles.  Saved me from needing to leave early due to my sugar levels getting too low :tup:  When did they change to making them smaller?
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »
How many would feel the same way if they stumbled upon a wolf bait?  :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
Was on the WDFW facebook page a while back where they made a big deal over busting a bear baiter?

Or was it on the dishonor roll on the NW sportsmen magazine?

I forget

It was a little bitty color phase blonde bear on and atv rack,  think it was a couple teens busted over the deal. 

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
Was on the WDFW facebook page a while back where they made a big deal over busting a bear baiter?
Or was it on the dishonor roll on the NW sportsmen magazine?
I forget
It was a little bitty color phase blonde bear on and atv rack,  think it was a couple teens busted over the deal.

Was that an out of season poaching case?  I had heard some rumbling of something similar.  Never read it myself.  Poaching out of season is a different story all together.  I think I'd feel obligated to report that!

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 11:07:29 PM »
I know! Twinkie's have been a disappointment lately. Now if I could just find me a six pack of JOLT to make up for it. :rolleyes:

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 11:14:27 PM »
Baiting is unnecessary, wasteful, and lazy in my opinion. Proper scouting and responsible hunting is the only way to go. Good on you for reporting it!

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
I know! Twinkie's have been a disappointment lately. Now if I could just find me a six pack of JOLT to make up for it. :rolleyes:

:chuckle:

Reading this thread has me thinking this bear baiting thing might be big business.  And as a businessman it's got me thinking how I can benefit from this.  Do you think the WDFW would get upset if I had the M&M folks make me some that look like elk and deer turds so I could sell them to those wanting to bait incognito?  How many gamies and phone ringers are going to bend over and taste it just to make sure it's not one of RadSav's Baiting Turds!  I'd be so rich I could afford a whole carton of miniature Twinkies and call myself an Entrée-Manure  :IBCOOL:

Guess I should be careful or I might never draw a special permit or a multi-season deer tag...oh wait... :chuckle:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:42:54 PM by RadSav »

Offline 87Ford

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »
I remember when this illegal bear-baiting case was in the news back in 2007.

From the Everett Herald Aug, 2007..

"Since Aug. 1, state game officers have been looking for bait hunters east of Granite Falls on the Mountain Loop Highway.
"It's bear season, and we've had complaints about bait hunters in the past," Cook said."

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20070814/NEWS01/708140339

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand