collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sherwood Memorial Hunt - TransAlta  (Read 2320 times)

Offline BrownGoinDown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Sherwood Memorial Hunt - TransAlta
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
I don't get a chance to post on here often, but wanted to take the time to give everyone a last minute heads up on the Dave Sherwood Memorial Hunt Raffle - Drawing is being held Monday, August 4th, tickets will be on sale through this week.

To give a little history, Dave Sherwood was a longtime employee of TransAlta. He was a great coworker, a great boss, a great family guy, just an all around great person. He was tragically killed while packing out his bull on a Margaret bull special permit hunt. I distinctly remember posting on here the first morning after he was reported missing and we were all headed up to try and find Dave. Tragic and very sad ending, but in his honor the Dave Sherwood Memorial Scholarship Fund was started. This funds a local scholarship to Centralia Community College.  As a way to help contribute funds to a great cause, TransAlta has been doing an annual Roosevelt Bull Hunt on opening weekend of rifle season to one lucky winner on their property just east of Centralia. This year, there are only 500 tickets total being sold, ticket cost is $25 per ticket.

The hunt will take place on opening weekend of rifle elk season (Nov. 1 & 2), it's a rifle hunt (the dates and weapon choice cannot being changed), and you'd need a westside modern elk tag. However, this tag can be gifted, so even if you are an eastside elk hunter but want to put your name in the hat, if you have a friend or son/daughter that has a westside modern tag, it can be done that way. I know some people have mixed feelings because it is only a 2 day hunt, but there has been bulls killed on both years raffle hunts and I'd be confident in telling you that an opportunity at a healthy, legal bull is not going to be an issue, how picky you want to get will be up to the hunter.

You and one guest will be guided by a TransAlta employee. All WDFW hunting regs are to be followed, hunter's orange, 3pt. minimum, etc.

if you have any questions, please PM me or feel free to post. The money goes to a great cause, in memory of a great person, and would be the perfect hunting opportunity for hunters of all ages.

Tickets can be purchased at the following locations:

•   Centralia College Foundation Office Hanke House – Centralia
•   TransAlta - Centralia
•   Book ‘n’ Brush – Chehalis
•   Joe’s Outdoor Sports Shop – Lewis County Mall
•   Colton Pharmacy – Morton
•   Hedden’s Pharmacy – Tenino
•   Grand Mound Licensing – Rochester
•   PeEll Hardware – PeEll
•   Ethel Market – Ethel - Hwy. 12
•   Stanley’s Store – Onalaska - Hwy. 12
•   J&S Guns – Olympia
•   Four Corners Market – Castle Rock
•   The Gun Shop – Longview
•   Sunbird Shopping Center - Chehalis

Thanks

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
Re: Sherwood Memorial Hunt - TransAlta
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »
Thank you for the reminder, What a special tribute to a fellow hunter.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
Awesome deal right there. Please follow up with some pics and stories after this takes place. It's be great to see.

I'm wondering how one goes  about "gifting" a tag like you mentioned??
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »
It's not a tag, it's basically a pass to hunt on private property, that's why it can be gifted.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »
Anywhere to buy tickets online? Or on the phone?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »

It's not a tag, it's basically a pass to hunt on private property, that's why it can be gifted.
Gotcha so if you won the ticket you can give it to someone else.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BrownGoinDown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »
Couple answers:

Yes, this is essentially an access pass not a tag, my apologies if I misworded my original post, so if I were to win it, and I am an eastern washington elk tag holder, but my boy has a valid western modern tag, then I can gift the access to my son and accompany my son on the hunt as his companion...

Secondly, BULLBLASTER, unfortunately there isn't online or over the phone means, your best option is to find a friend that lives near one of the locations and send them the money to get the tickets purchased. If you need assistance on that front, I'd be happy to help out.

Thanks for the interest and it really is a neat deal, jackjr won the tag last year, we saw plenty of elk and a number of bulls in the caliber of the bull he killed. He brought his son with him and it was a great experience. I'll add, this hunt can be physical if one chooses to have it that way, but ultimately it doesn't have to be. And we have means to some good ways of getting elk out, so don't expect it to be a quartering packboard show (unless you want it to be).

Last comment, no hoof rot here yet, so expect four good eating quarters, as long as you can shoot straight :)
Thanks

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab