collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: fossil creek gmu 506  (Read 10250 times)

Offline scoutdog346

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
fossil creek gmu 506
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »
I bought a fossil creek access key and permit for 385$.  Does anyone
Know anything about this area in gmu 506???

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
Re: fossil creek gmu 506
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
385$ ouch! Pay to play anymore..... Animals are there. Scout it out and should do good.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
I bought it cuz I want to go west side archery
and don't want deal with pressured elk and hunt around less hunters as possible
I think buying this might do that being its a large area and 3 other people in my group bought it and only about 20 people r archery that bought it.  Hoof rot don't effect the meet and rack right? When u hunt 506 do u shoot the first legal bull u can shoot or do u hold out for a big one?  In other words what is the quality of bulls in that area. What do u consider a big and average and large bull for that area? I hu t the east side and they don't start running I to my calls u till about step 9th or so.  When do they start responding in that area?  Or do they at all?  I've heard different ideas. Do u think I will run I to other hunters in that area?  I heard a guy would have to bike or walk 9 miles to get to the same spot I get to drive to.  The guy I charge of the program told me that.  Do u this k that is true or do u think he just wanted me and my partners to spend money?  Thanks for the responds.  Please feel free to tell me anything about hi ting this area.  Thanks

Offline wrongway

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »
Wow that a lot of dollars for an area you dint know. First i would not shoot another elk with hoof rot. I dont care what others say the meat is horrible. As for big bulls the unit i am sure has some but not lots. The west sided bulls dont start talking till the 8 to the 12th of Sep. Good luck this is my first year in 35 years of hunting elk in wa. That i have not bought an elk tag. I hat our state anymore.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »
Thanks...I've ate elk that appear to have nothing wrong with them but taste bad but more elk that toast good. Tell me more about hoof rot making the meat tasting bad please?

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
Good luck there is a lot of land behind that gate. Plan on putting some miles in.

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »
I've hunted there quite a bit before it went to permit. If there truly are only 20 other archery hunters in there with the permit than that is a big advantage. Probably not true. Those permit holders are such a joke though, just because you have an access permit does not mean you are going to get on elk. It also doesn't mean you don't have to get out of the truck. I ran into two different groups of guys with the access permit that used the permit to drive to the end of the Rayonier property only to walk and bike into the neighboring timber co land. They felt that they had an advantage with the permit when in reality it takes maybe an hour to ride a bike in from the opposite way to get to where they were walking. They drove past elk to get to where they thought there we're elk.

The grass is always greener. Maybe it's because I have a huge problem with the pay to play gig but I have found that generally speaking the people who pay for the access permits expect things handed to them. Again, speaking in generality.

It used to be an outstanding late hunt for cows in there.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »
I would never road hunt.  I'm just looking for a little advantage and if this permit will decrease the amount of other hunters around me by 10% its worth it to me.  I have never shot a west side bull so I will prob take the 1st legal bull I c. In this area there is roads one is not allowed to drive on.  Last year there was 21 archery hunters that bought the permit out of 175.  A few muzz cow tag holders and the rest modern fire arm according to the companies.  So I assume its going to b only a few more archery hunters then last year. I don't think there is anyone that thinks just because they bought a permit they r going to get a elk...lol.  I get to camp in the unit also in spots that I could  not with out the permit and its goi g to b worth it to sleep in my wall tent on m
y cot drying my stuff off with a wood stove.  I hope your wrong as u got my to all most think this permit /gate key is worthless. As for the guys that u said drove past elk ect. If u think u have never do e that then u r the best h ter that has ever lived.  I belive we all have drove and walked past elk and never k ew it.I will let u know how it went. 

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:15 AM »
I think your archery permit numbers are a bit off.  There were 21 archery guys out of about 60 hunters who took the Rayonier survey after hunting season last year from how I understood it.  My understanding is that it's about a 60/40 split for rifle vs archery.  So if you are expecting to have only a couple of other hunters (or only 20) in there in Sept, I think you might be severely disappointed.  That's just going off the lengthy conversation I had with their property manager about that exact topic and a couple others.  And that walk in area can be accessed just as quickly from a couple of other locations.  My bet is that there will be quite a few walk in guys hitting that corner from a couple of different angles.

I wouldn't hold out for that big guy unless that's specifically what you're looking for.  If it is, that might not be the right area for you anyway. If you want meat, shoot the first legal bull you get a shot at that's within your comfort zone.

Not trying to be negative or burst your bubble, it's a good area and the permit limits how many hunters are in there which can be in your favor.  I just don't think it's quite the private playground with almost no other hunters around that you are hoping for.  That's just my opinion though.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:51 AM »
Thanks for the reality check...Can anyone tell me a spot in the area that would take a person the longest to get to other then the center because do to the logging roads just because u r in the center does not mean it would take long for a guy to walk to. In other words...where do u think would b the most secluded? I have an idea but your idea is prob better being that I have never been there.

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:59 AM »
You can drive most of the permit area.  There is a walk in only area but it's not huge and I would be willing to bet it will be getting hit from a couple different angles.  The rest of the unit will be drivable unless they red dot the road.  I think you're just going to have to scout, find an area you like and hope there isn't anyone there before you.  Otherwise it will just be a matter of finding a spot nobody is at.  Again, I could be wrong but I bet you will find people spread out all over that property.  You'll still need to be jockeying for a spot and competing with other hunters for a spot on occasion.

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 04:59:48 AM »
That area went to *censored* the day Weyco started to do Pe Ell permits.. Many people use to bike or walk into Weyco's land from the back of fossil creek but now that its by permit only you don't have people spreading out much more... I think it's only a matter of time before people realize there paying a high price for a rag horn. There is no where and I mean no where a person couldn't walk to in less than 20-30min from one side or another... Those walk in areas are a joke

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:43 AM »
   Bronson hit it about right, I think the numbers are closer to those estimates, although if they are as low as you say that would be awesome for you. :tup:

I have ALOT of memories in that ground, one of the saddest days of my life when I found out that it was going permit only. And the beginning of the end of my Washington Elk hunting. That said at some point a guy has to move on...LOL. Its prolly for the best so here goes....

I have not hunted the area since it went to permit, but if the "walk in" is where I suspect, I wouldnt waste much time. It is worth a look as I have seen some good bulls there, but as others have alluded access will be reasonable with no real big climbs to discourage anybody. And the hunters hunting it are accomplished archers who know how to kill elk.

AK is exactly right, dont pass up elk, to find elk. There is elk scattered all over that area, and the upper area seems to get the most pressure. Not only from permit holders, but also surrounding timber co land. All my experience has been off a bike, and there has been many times I wished for a vehicle. Covering lots of ground will be your friend IMO and a truck is the most effective way to do it. If I had a pass I would most likely spend the majority of time in the middle of the unit. And simply avoid pressure. Going into a brush choked canyon, or down an overgrown spur to an alder bottom, will do more to remove you from pressure, than walking/biking in a couple miles on a established grade.

Hope you get some elk talking. It can be very tough hunting ground that thick without elk being vocal. In the past there was some very nice timber and cool crick bottoms that were good for sitting wallows and stalking, but my understanding is that alot of it has been logged, so you will need to scout to figure that out. Hunt it everyday if at all possible. My suspicion is you will have 3 to 5 days where elk vocalization will be good. And I am being very optimistic. 90 percent of the bulls I/we have killed in there were killed calling in and were killed on the first setup. What I am saying is its been my experience that you will hunt for several days and nothing and then BAM they are hot. On that day you need to have your game face on because chances are good they will be quiet again in the morning. So make your setups count! Personally I have passed up quite a few bulls, and have seen some mashers usually on or around september 22nd  :chuckle: and killed one "good one". But the majority of the bulls we have killed and seen were raghorn 3s with doubles and a couple big 2's with doubles. Again not sure how the permit has affected quality, so you will need to see that for yourself.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 09:18:29 AM »
Thanks Bronson that was good stuff

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
"  I hope your wrong as u got my to all most think this permit /gate key is worthless. As for the guys that u said drove past elk ect. If u think u have never do e that then u r the best h ter that has ever lived.  I belive we all have drove and walked past elk and never k ew it.I will let u know how it went. "

True, but I know I've never paid for access to do it.

Didn't mean to be negative but the access permits just make me sick to my stomach. In my opinion BVBH hit the nail on the head, it's been my experience that the guys in there with those permits have a "the grass is greener" mentality and will walk or bike into the surrounding private timber co units. Mostly caused by all the permit holders in there driving all over the place. There are some deep, nasty places not too far from the main gate that always seem to hold elk. The elk don't really care if trucks are driving around 500 yards from them if there's a steep, thick, reprod canyon between them and the road.

There are days when you will light up and call in multiple bulls and there are seasons where you will hunt harder and cover more ground than ever and be lucky to call in multiple bulls in a season. It's all about hunting hard, being persistent and being there while the bulls are talking.

I don't think your going to get the specific answer you are looking for. The elk use dr o be spread out in small pockets kind of all over that area. The late season that area seemed to draw in more elk for some reason.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw