collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My wife loved a rifle!!  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Solohunter84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Live to Hunt. Hunt to live.
My wife loved a rifle!!
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »
Soooo.... I am trying to get my wife into hunting and I've told her we should find her a rifle. She hasn't seemed too into it until tonight when we were at Fred Meyer and she seen this savage muddy girl camo rifle.  So I told her I would go home and shop around since I'd never seen it before. Was $429 there with a bushnell scope.  Well come to find out it was a young rifle and only youth in that color. May seem silly to me she loves it for the color but she was excited and happy so I want to make it happen. Now the question is... Is it a big deal that it's a youth model? She wants minimal kick like most women and a light weight even tho I will be carrying it most of the time but she isn't petite like I was reading some women that use youth rifles are. She is dang near as tall as me.  So I kept looking and I found the rifle skins in that pattern. I could turn any gun into that color for her for $50. So my question is... Youth ok? Or better off with a different gun and skin it? We still haven't decided on a caliber yet but the only one she has shot so far is a 243. She wants to elk hunt and I know that big debate but it's still up in the air yet. I've been reading about the 6.5 swede and that sounds ideal from what I've read.  I'm new to hunting and new to guns myself so any info or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Link

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axisxpyouthmg

Offline Jolten

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: My wife loved a rifle!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
I shoot a savage youth. Make sure it fits her properly. Oh and I also shoot it in .243 never felt under gunned
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Have her try it out and be sure the stock isn't way too short. It will probably be okay. I would get it in the 308 if she's going to hunt elk.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »
I do recommended the Barnes TTSX for elk.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Solohunter84

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
7mm-08 is largest caliber. Molten have you taken elk with it? I just watch a video of my buddy's son downing a bison with a 243. It died instantly. But it's not the same.... Hunting vs harvesting haha 30 yards behind the ear with just about anything will do the trick.   Bob... I haven't shot anything but my .30-06 and the regular axis .243 is the 7mm-08 in between as far as kick goes? I actually can't tell much difference from the two I've shot but I'm sure the wife will pick up on it. Thanks again

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:33 PM »
Yes I have. Good shot placement is key.

Offline Solohunter84

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:21 PM »
With her being new to hunting my thinking is go for the biggest caliber she is comfortable with just to give a little room for error. Not telling her that but that's my reason gat least. Not saying she needs to shoot my rifle but the bigger the better for elk. I know u can get it done with smaller but if she can get used to it the 7mm is what I'd like to see her use

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:04 AM »
I love youth models, they are light and fun to shoot.  That said the higher caliber in smaller gun is going to kick more and bounce more.  The best thing to do would be to get her out and let her shoot similar guns.  I have a 7mm08 its heavy and not the youth version it also doesnt kick much.  I have had the opportunity to shoot a very custom 308 that you need a sherpa to haul around but dang does it shoot nice. I have shot 257bob it was "poppier" when it kicked but still very tolerable and admittedly I was shooting off a stick for the first time and shooting a gun I had never shot.  and modern technology gives us muzzle brakes and recoil pads that can help a whole lot.  Find a gun she likes and get her to shoot a lot so she is comfortable with it.

:twocents:

Offline Solohunter84

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:54:37 AM »
Thanks. Appreciate the info. Will ask my friends for different calibers if possible to find out what she likes most.  Then go from there with recoil reduction if needed

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:33 AM »
Fun times  ;)

As long as it fits and comfortable  :tup:  :twocents:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 06:06:55 AM »
You can always get a gun that fits her well and have it dipped at Northwest Hydroprint in Montesano...  Here is a list of their camo colors, would be best if the gun fits her well.  A 7mm-08 should be perfect especially if you handload.

http://www.northwesthydroprint.com/patterns/camouflage-patterns.html

Edit to add, they also have several different pink camo colors on the page linked above, and don't overlook the .260 remington either.   :tup:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:15:15 AM by headshot5 »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:48 AM »
7mm-08 is a better all around choice than 243 if she will be hunting elk. Recoul is mild. Nothing wrong with a youth rifle if it fits. If she likea a gun that's important.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
 :yeah: If she likes the gun that is the MOST IMPORTANT.    :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline Solohunter84

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
She loves it but is still new to guns to where when we checked it out she held it for about 3 seconds and said yup looks good haha.

Offline TwoSixFourWins

• Critter Gitter
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
I think I would opt for the 7mm-08. Either that or you can get a full size rifle, cut the stock to fit, put in mercury recoil suppressors, and work up a reduced load for a bigger caliber. I know when I started looking around for rifles for my fiancee I had her shoot 308, 257 Roberts and 6.5x55 and she said they all kicked too much so she shoots (very well) a 243 Ruger American that we had dipped in Muddy Girl camo. It is a full size rifle not the compact. I'm not saying go that route necessarily just giving my experience. Find her a rifle she loves and shoots well and you will be "Solohunter" No Mo'
Bang...Flop......No tracking required.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal