collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain Bike Cascade Traverse (Greenwater to Easton)  (Read 5952 times)

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Mountain Bike Cascade Traverse (Greenwater to Easton)
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »
Saturday, July 20th, Brian, Greg and I completed a mountain bike trip that I've been wanting to do for a couple of years. We departed Greenwater on Hwy 410 at just after 8 a.m. and pedaled road 70 past the gravel pit/shooting area up to road 7030, where pavement ended and serious climbing began. There was rain in the forecast and drizzle when we departed, but when Neighbor Dale dropped us off near Greenwater, skies were improving. On this tour we were treated to cool, breezy weather with clouds blowing in and out. We maintained an easy pace, frequently stopping to check our location, and arrived at Lake Easton State Park before 5 p.m. The ride is 80% off pavement, approximately 41 miles, and the total climbing is approximately 6200 vertical feet. We thoroughly researched the route on Google Earth and consulted numerous ORV websites to piece together the labyrinth of forest-service roads, some of which were well-maintained; others were found to be in various states of disrepair. Advice to those who would follow: definitely bring GPS and know the route. Physically the ride is not too hard, but it would be easy to find yourself disoriented, tired and lost after just one wrong turn. With cool temperatures, I carried and consumed only two liters of water (in July, water is found along the way, mostly on the east side). I recommend the west-to-east direction due to loose, rocky and steep terrain just east of the high point.

Trip Profile:

Rainier showing off:

Old burn on 7036 (the PCT parallels through here):

Brian and Greg navigating:

A sign at Tacoma Pass, discouraging westward travel:

Cabin Creek, a road being reclaimed by the forces of nature:

In a few years, this road may be lost:

Mandatory Cabin Creek crossing:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:32:42 AM by pope »

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: Mountain Bike Cascade Traverse (Greenwater to Easton)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »
Looks like a blast!

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »
We truly had a good time, and absolutely perfect weather.

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »
Did you do it all in one day? How long did it take?

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
That's a good trek! 2 plus hour trip in the truck and I couldn't imagine doing that first hill climb! :yike:

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »
Gosh, I can never remember my password. Must be ultra-secure! Yes, this was a one-day deal, about 8 hours of riding and at least one hour for lunch and talking to a handful of people we met along the way. There was a guy coming down 7030 in a sedan with a tire that was down to about 15 pounds. We couldn't help him so he kept rolling. We met a particularly friendly group of multi-sport motorcycle enthusiasts with some expensive BMW bikes, including one guy with a heavy German accent. They had paused for a cigarette in the middle of a very long loop they'd begun in Issaquah. Our traverse was only about 40 miles give or take, and the first climb on 7030 was challenging but our bikes have gear ratios low enough to make it reasonable. Burgers in Easton never tasted so good.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:40:52 PM by pope »

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
That's awesome.  I'll have to do this!
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline poopooheaddad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »
Wow, very cool, and I am jealous that looks like a good time, any more pics? see any wildlife?
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »
Sweet!

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »
By all means, if you like to ride and climb hills, this is a reasonable trip. Even for old guys! Just don't get lost....navigation is crucial. Amazingly, we did not see a single big-game animal, although we did see a family of otters down by Cabin Creek. I posted my favorite photos but I'll look through and see if more photos exist which might add to the story. Also, there is a section (10 miles) just after the highest point, where we could have used the PCT to get to Tacoma Pass via Blowout Mountain. We didn't (stiff penalties for getting caught), but we were certainly tempted. It's a tree farm for crying out loud, and horses are allowed....just not bikes, because ..... well, I'm not sure. We decided against because one member of our group doesn't have much trail ridging in his experience, which is good enough reason for me. I was just happy to find two guys interested in going.

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 07:41:41 AM »
Were the trails big enough to bring a small trailer so one could bring camping gear and stretch it out into a couple days? Looks like a blast! Any lakes or ponds to fish?

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 08:45:14 AM »
Once again, great looking trip! I think this is the third forum that I've seen it posted on  :tup:

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
Were the trails big enough to bring a small trailer so one could bring camping gear and stretch it out into a couple days? Looks like a blast! Any lakes or ponds to fish?

If you pulled a trailer, the big climb would be a beast! You could always drive up before hand and stash your trailer and camping gear high up (maybe near Green's Pass). Another problem would be near the end of the ride, where you have to cross Cabin Creek (about knee-deep when we did it). To avoid the crossing, you could stay on road 41 and work north toward Lester, which would certainly add a few miles.

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
Once again, great looking trip! I think this is the third forum that I've seen it posted on  :tup:

I posted a link to the trip report in the Washington forum on mtbr.com and not too many seemed interested. It's not at all a trail ride, just lots of gravel. A lot of mountain bikers don't enjoy riding fire/logging roads but I find it enjoyable.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal