collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Case weight and H20 capacity  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Case weight and H20 capacity
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
How important are these two things when reloading just for hunting, not bench rest competitions?
Is water capacity important to know, so you're not causing extreme pressures when loading at or above max loads? Or, is this just accuracy and consistency measure? I'm pretty green when it comes to handloading, but I'm a sponge when it comes to information. Right now I'm working on my .270 and about to start on the .243

Thanks for any help, Ron

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Case weight and H20 capacity
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »
For hunting it isn't important. 

What is important is finding the right combo of bullet/powder/powder weight/OAL that your rifle "likes".  Making sure that your rifle will cycle your ammo is also important.  Knowing the signs of pressure is also very important. 

Offline Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I'm just a perfectionist and it was bothering me, not knowing the importance of case capacity.
Thanks for the reply

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
Compare a few different load data tables,  Start low and work up.  I usually load 5 of each charge as I work up.

Offline Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »
That's what I've done so far with 2 different powders and 140gr accubonds at 3.28 coal. I still can't get it to shoot better than 150 gr Fed Fusions with a 3.21 coal :bash: gonna try again this weekend with another powder and maybe a lesser oal. I thought maybe the original question I asked had something to do with it.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
I did an experiment maybe 10-15 years or so ago, I can't remember exactly.  I bought premium ammo from Federal, Remington, Winchester, and I think someone else, maybe Nosler?  Not the cheap stuff, the premium stuff.  I spent a ton of money on it, even back then when it was relatively cheap and easy to find. 

Over the course of a few weeks I shot the premium stuff and compared it to my handloads.  What I found was very interesting.....

The Winchester ammo shot the best out of my rifle (including anything I handloaded) and it wasn't close.  I could (and still can) clover leaf three shots at 100 yards with the ammo shooting prone.  Although I like to get close and am primarily a bow hunter now, I have no problem hitting what I want to at 500 yards, prone.  So, I sold my dies/bullets and bought all of the Winchester Ballistic Sivertip ammo I could find with the same lot number.

Another interesting thing happened last year.  I was running a bit low on my lot of Winchester ammo so I decided to buy another box of Winchester.  I had zero expectation that a different numbered lot and probably different powder, etc. would group the same.  We're talking at least a 10 year difference here.  I bought the new box and it grouped exactly the same as the Lot I had years prior.

Unless I am loading .223 or pistol rounds, reloading for a hunting rifle just doesn't make sense for me anymore.       

Offline Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:45:29 PM »
I could just stick with fed fusions and be just fine, but what fun would that be? Lol plus, I'm starting to shoot a lot more lately and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to reload. I also want the satisfaction of finding that magic combo that my rifle loves...my Ruger M77 300 winny is the same way. Tried everything through it, but the absolute best are 180gr core-lokts. Last time I shot it, I went 8/8 on quart milk jugs at 345 yrds.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
I understand what you mean.  I was dismayed by the finding of my "experiment".  There is a big difference in "benchrest" type loading and loading for hunting.  I think that a lot of guys think that they can get so much more out of handloads by setting up their Grandpa's Rockchucker and putting a bit of powder and bullet on top of a once shot piece of brass.  With the newer type ammo that is out these days, it just isn't going to be better much of the time. 

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »
One more thing, I have never found reloading to be less expensive then buying store bought ammo.  I always end up shooting more and more and reloading more and more.  I am somewhat envious of you guys who can buy just one box of ammo.   :)

Offline Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
You're absolutely right about it not being less expensive, BUT I'm getting more bang for my buck (pun intended) :chuckle: - sorry, I couldn't resist

Offline mrolen

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »
I understand what you mean.  I was dismayed by the finding of my "experiment".  There is a big difference in "benchrest" type loading and loading for hunting.  I think that a lot of guys think that they can get so much more out of handloads by setting up their Grandpa's Rockchucker and putting a bit of powder and bullet on top of a once shot piece of brass.  With the newer type ammo that is out these days, it just isn't going to be better much of the time.

Exactly!!! Now everyone stop reloading and buying up all my components  :chuckle:
believe the bullet!

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 07:37:30 AM »
Have you tried any different bullet weights in the .270?  Some barrels just don't like certain weights or it is the weight/powder combo.  I use 130 Accubonds in my .270 with 55.2 grs of H-4831 SC.  It is a cheapo Rem 700 ADL and will shoot under 1/2" moa with this load.  I am seated way out just off of the lands.  If you are at 3.28" OAL you should have some room to seat your bullet out further which I would try first before you abandon the 140 gr bullet. 

What powders have you tried?

There are some very experienced reloaders on here, hopefully they chime in.  I am kind of a newbie to reloading, started 6 years ago and love it.
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »
IMR 4831, Nosler brass, Fed 210, 140gr AB. started at 51gr went to 53 in .5 incriments. Accuracy worsened the hotter they got.
IMR 7828, R-P brass, Fed 210, 54-57gr same outcome.
Gonna try some IMR 4350 this weekend and gonna run the bullet out as far as my magazine allows, which is still of the lands. I'll get it figured out, and if I can't, I'll start a help thread lol

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]