collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
What would you do?
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »
I have been hunting the same spot every day since archery season opened. It is a very good spot on a creek inbetween two swamps with a ridge coming out of tall timber to it. It is extremely thick, with tall marsh grass, and you can see where deer have been laying and bedding and the game trails are umbelievable. The first day I went into this spot I jumped a big bodied deer, but couldnt get a good enough look to see any horns. I assumed buck by the size of it. Yesterday I found rub line that runs for about 100 maybe 120 yards, right through the middle of my spot. I have yet to put eyes on this deer, and have only seen a couple of does since opening day. I am afraid If I keep putting pressure on him I am going to push him out of that spot.

You think I should wait until later in the season and try him at the beginning and end of the rut, or just keep hunting him and risk spooking him?

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:00:02 PM »
That is the problem I am having, there really is no sneaking in to the area because the only way in is through a field of taaaaall marsh grass which is noisy as hell, or down a dry creek bed full of big stones which is also really noisy. I have been trying to cover my noise with a bleat here and there. I am thinking of only going in when it is raining to help cover my entry and exit. I dont know. Very hard place. Once it starts raining it will probably turn to swamp.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:25:55 PM »
One thing to try is walking through slowly, with lots of stops.  Critters make noise walking through that stuff too.  Elk particularly - they're louder than we are.  But even with deer, if you sound like a critter and walk a few steps, stop for a minute, walk a few more, etc., you may not spook them.  They know it's a human if the noise is constant, since humans generally walk at a steady pace from here to there.  Of course, also keep the wind in your face.

Offline VirginiaxBoi

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »
No I do "stalk walk". I dont know, it is hard for me to explain. The grass... Its like, every blade is a little twig, and your stepping on two hundred of them at a time ya know. Deer have slender legs, and they tend to bound through it. I cant bound LoL. I think I might wait for rain before I go back, hopefully the dry creek bed will have a couple of inches of water and I can creep up it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal