collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hevi-Steel  (Read 7504 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Hevi-Steel
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
Has anyone tried it?  I'm thinking of buying a case and trying it out.

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
Re: Hevi-Steel
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:15:54 PM »
I have used it for turkey.  Kills em

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
it's just ordinary steel shot, with a higher price.  unless you get a better deal on it than federals, i'd shy away.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:51:56 AM »

it's just ordinary steel shot, with a higher price.  unless you get a better deal on it than federals, i'd shy away.

No..... It's heavier then  'plain' steel and not as heavy as there line of heavy shot. I think heavy steel comes in at 9.2.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »
I think I saw a rebate for $100 per case. seemed to make it a much better deal. Check around on their website if you decide to buy.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
I understand that it's heavier than steel. I am curious how much of a difference it makes. Rogers has cases for 160.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
Isn't it rather a duplex load- standard size steel shot with a mix of heavier composition pellets being two sizes smaller stacked on top?

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
Hevi-Steel
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
I understand that it's heavier than steel. I am curious how much of a difference it makes. Rogers has cases for 160.

Id buy it at 160.

I pretty much only shoot kent, ( roughly 3 cases a year) I never change loads. I used to shoot designer stuff but the added cost isn't worth it for me, I'd rather buy gas or decoys .
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:13:58 PM by Tealer »

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
I shot half a case of hevi-shot last year.  It was good stuff.  If you're having problems shooting with steel than this stuff won't help.  But if you're competent with steel and you're looking for a couple less cripples a year then try this stuff.

God bless- Brad

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

No..... It's heavier then  'plain' steel and not as heavy as there line of heavy shot. I think heavy steel comes in at 9.2.
Current production of Hevi Steel is just plain old steel shot with a premium price.  There have been multiple threads on Duck Hunting Chat dot Com on this.  Here's one - http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=496874

New production Hevi Steel is misleading marketing hype. 

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »
I shoot it in my 10 and 12 gauge.  It is good stuff!
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
Isn't it rather a duplex load- standard size steel shot with a mix of heavier composition pellets being two sizes smaller stacked on top?
No your thinking of "Hevi-Metal" which I dont care for. Plain old blue box federals kills ducks plenty far for me.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 08:43:47 AM »
I typically shoot plain old 1 1/4 oz steel but I thought I'd try this since Rogers is selling it for basically the same price as steel.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

My buddy tried it first and I made fun of him for the price he paid until I saw the results.  His birds had tears with wings busted in 2 or 3 spots and sometimes both wings where broken.  I tried some and was blown away by the again because I am not a fan of how hevi-shot worked for me.  3 inch 2's hevi-metal I was using for ducks could bring down geese over decoys no problem.   We both use a pattern master chokes.  Like anything else, won't help you shoot but just seems the birds fold with better class witch I need because no dogs are in my blind.

I tried a box spectra steel shot green color which did good but big difference with hevi-metal.  Mostly depends on how you like to hunt and if a spray and pray shooter when anything comes with in 70 yards committed or not then save yourself some money by leaving hevi-metal on the shelf.  But if your goal is to get birds close and end it on one bang with a splash or thud almost every time, then hevi-m could help because better knock down and penetration IMO.  I might do just as good with faststeels but I feel more rushed on my shots to get the vitals before the bird flares or turns.  The more pricy stuff it don't matter where a hunter puts the center punch on the bird in good range with good chances not to end up with a swimmer and shoot another time in the deeks.       
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
I have shot tons of different types of shells and I think the most important factor is how it patterns out of your gun. I ended up finding that I kill just as many birds, if not more, with good old Kent steel. Lucky for me its cheap.  :tup: Never had an issue with hevi-steel but found my success was the same as with kent for cheaper
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline huntingfool7

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
AND the confusion continues- 
Hevi Metal is loaded with steel pellets and tungsten pellets-- http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ENV30S

Hevi Steel is plain old steel shot, No tungsten here-- http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/hevi-shot/hevishot-hevi-steel-12-gauge-3-1-1-4oz-1500-fps.html

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »
Bestt part of this thread is how many different shells people are talking about....Hevi-Metal, Hevi-Steel, and Hevi-Shot...throw in speed ball and the confusion will be complete.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline huntingfool7

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
Let's not forget the new Hevi Lead!   :tup:

As listed in Gun Dog Magazine page 50-
"HEVI-SHOT HEVI-UPLAND Hammer flushing roosters this fall with Hevi-Shot's new lead offering. The heavy 1-1/8 ounce, 12 gauge loads hit trophy roosters hard, making the job easier for your best pointer. Available in 2-3/4 inch, No.5s with a velocity of 1,250 fps.

I wonder how many guys are going to be walking around in NoTox upland areas packing the new lead offering by Hevi-Shot. 
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/hevishot-hevi-upland-shotshells-91205-gauge-1250-shot-rdscase-p-140216.html

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Hevi Metal is loaded with steel pellets and tungsten pellets-- http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ENV30S

Hevi Steel is plain old steel shot, No tungsten here-- http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/hevi-shot/hevishot-hevi-steel-12-gauge-3-1-1-4oz-1500-fps.html

Hevi-steel use to be some mixture of metals that made pellets more dense claimed by the company which was dropped and hevi-metal was born if I remember right.  So the confusion was caused by how the question was asked and explained by you as described as current production instead of new production of hevi-steel.  Had no idea hevi-steel was back and doesn't even show on hevi-shot webpage.  I could only find it on cabela's and rogers.  Cabala's even shows as new product and how the question was asked sounded as if the product been around for awhile.  So no confusion, we just know how to read and think on how the answer the question was asked.  If anything, the confusion continues with you.   

Offline huntingfool7

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »

Hevi-steel use to be some mixture of metals that made pellets more dense claimed by the company which was dropped and hevi-metal was born if I remember right.  So the confusion was caused by how the question was asked and explained by you as described as current production instead of new production of hevi-steel.  Had no idea hevi-steel was back and doesn't even show on hevi-shot webpage.  I could only find it on cabela's and rogers.  Cabala's even shows as new product and how the question was asked sounded as if the product been around for awhile.  So no confusion, we just know how to read and think on how the answer the question was asked.  If anything, the confusion continues with you.   

That BOLD TEXT should of course read- USED to be. 

Hevi-Steel used to be a different product/composition a couple seasons ago.  That old product (Hevi STeel) had a fan base that was/is excited to see it back on the market.  While it is the same branding and name, it is not the same shot used in the new product.  Environmetal (makers of Hevi products) chose to bring it back as a normal steel load along with advertising that makes it sound like something it's not (i.e. heavier than steel). 

I'm sure it's a good steel product.  The advertising and packaging is misleading. 

Offline huntingfool7

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
seems the birds fold with better class witch I need because no dogs are in my blind.     

A dog in the blind almost always adds some class.  :chuckle: 

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
Just make sure you check each shell. I bought a box to pattern some years ago.  1/4 of the shells had very little shot in them, the crimp was very concave.
2nd shot at the butcher paper and there was only about a dozen hits, I though what the heck?  Started looking at the shells and found what I described above.
I sent a message off to the company that included photos of the shells and I never heard a word back from them.  :dunno:
Far as I am concerned, they owe me 1/2 dozen shells.  Myself, I'm done with anything from Environmetal.
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
Just make sure you check each shell. I bought a box to pattern some years ago.  1/4 of the shells had very little shot in them, the crimp was very concave.
2nd shot at the butcher paper and there was only about a dozen hits, I though what the heck?  Started looking at the shells and found what I described above.
I sent a message off to the company that included photos of the shells and I never heard a word back from them.  :dunno:
Far as I am concerned, they owe me 1/2 dozen shells.  Myself, I'm done with anything from Environmetal.
I've had the same issue with Black Cloud, concave crimp and little or no shot. But they did send me a check for $24 to buy another box, got Kent Fast steel with the money. Also on the Black Cloud, a buddy had a client out for ducks and one of them long wads stuck in the barrel.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 01:54:56 PM »
Appears Federal has some seriuous quality control issues too.  If they don't get those under control fast, it could cost them millions if someone gets hurt.
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
Federal is no worse then anyone else I have had many dud Kent's. A few dud Remington's. Btw federal makes a lot if the powder Remington uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »

That BOLD TEXT should of course read- USED to be. 

Hevi-Steel used to be a different product/composition a couple seasons ago.  That old product (Hevi STeel) had a fan base that was/is excited to see it back on the market.  While it is the same branding and name, it is not the same shot used in the new product.  Environmetal (makers of Hevi products) chose to bring it back as a normal steel load along with advertising that makes it sound like something it's not (i.e. heavier than steel). 

I'm sure it's a good steel product.  The advertising and packaging is misleading.

We HAV AREselves a moM hunter?  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]