collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stumped...  (Read 2786 times)

Offline robertsjd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Stumped...
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:33:27 AM »
I'm sure everyone is in the same boat as me by the few bear down posts this year . But maybe not ! I've been all overrrrrr north west washington and I still cannot add to the 2014 bear thread :/ it's still early and have plenty of time to add to the collection but it's still frustrating ! And it compels me to hunt even harder and maybe not smarter ? Saturday went out off hwy 2 to some spots saw some sign but wasn't very fresh in a huge blue berry field . Was out before day break and headed in around 2 put 9 miles in on my keens Saturday " loving my garmin 62 ST thanks those who helped with that " anyways went Sunday off hwy 20 and again saw 2 deer already bedded at 8 am wayyyyyyy high I was prob around 2000-2500ft the deer were prob 6000 if I had to guess . And hiked better half of 5 Sunday morning. Last year when I got my bear it was 90 degrees mid day in eastern wa. So I don't think I can say it's this heat were having and the full moon we had all weekend . But damn it's been a frustrating first 2 weeks ! Havnt even seen a bear yet ! 10 yards away or 1000 yards away ! Staying positive though ! If hunting were easy everyone would do it 😉 maybe this is why we all love this sport so much ? The unsuccessful hunts make those that are successful so much sweeter !! So when your getting frustrated out there just remember it could all change in a matter of seconds :) and I've also learned to take my rifle when dropping a log off on the am 😂😂😂 alrighty I'm done venting to you all ! Best of luck everyone keep hammering 👌
be careful going in search of adventure its ridiculously easy to find.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Stumped...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:29:22 AM »
Hang in there, as hard as you're hunting, it'll come together!  Good luck!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
Go deer scouting, don't bring a gun.

Then, you'll see bears.

Offline robertsjd

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
Oh ya staying positive for sure ! Can't complain at all I'm out doing what I love to do !! Nothing better than a sunrise on a mountain birds talking glassing hillsides 👌👌
Hahaha I know I'm tempted to wear white t shorts cacky shorts and leave my gun in the truck is prob see a heard of bears 😂😂😂

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:42 AM »
When that happens to me while Bear hunting, I decide to leave the big bear cannons home and instead I hunt them my little .243 Win rifle with, and viola! I start seeing bears.

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
Keep at it, things will only get better with the berries ripening and the temps cooling.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
Keep positive! I'm heading out in the AM to a new area that I know holds bear, yes before my wife's ortho appt. I am hoping she can elk hunt this year but we will see how extensive her surgery will be. She has had 5 surgeries so far so we will see.

Offline hoyt5199

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 05:02:49 AM »
I am right there with you. I have been out a lot and still have not found one either. Been seeing tons of sign and the last 3 times I have been out I have been using the old fox pro with a fawn in distress, what gives? Very frustrating but we still have time. Just need to keep hunting and the time will come.

Offline robertsjd

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:39:41 AM »
I know it's frustrating haha but like y'all said just keep hunting hard and it to pay off maybe not even this year but it will ! I'm headed over east this weekend see if that changes anything ! Haha hopefully you guys get after em also !

Offline grizzlyadams

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Logging roads and old spurs have been hunted heavy off of HWY 2 and 20 for the past few years. Areas that used to hold tons of bear have grown cold it seems. I believe the younger bears are still around in some of these areas, but most have been pushed deeper Into backcountry by hikers, heavier hunting pressure and logging. Go deeper, and stay in the thick nasty this time of year and you'll get one hopefully.  Do some calling as well in August.  Stay far off of the trails and roads.  I have some friends that are not hunters but avid hikers that say they have seen tons of bear in the ALW but really far in. They said they have seen more bear than ever before and by their estimates the normal population in that area has either doubled or tripled. I plan on checking it out but haven't had the time yet. Right now I'm in planning mode for the high hunt in September.
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
Wait till the period of "Hyperphagia" sets in.  Then they become more visible.  This may vary by location or elevation and a factor of food available.  I have experienced this myself on several seasons, and found that I started seeing them all of the sudden in later September to early October here on the Wet side, when I was not seeing during August.  During this period it was in the +3500' elevations.  My advice-Be patient.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal