collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Target Practice Ammo vs. Hunting Ammo  (Read 12084 times)

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
Re: Target Practice Ammo vs. Hunting Ammo
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
Core locks are good bullets for hunting.  Why switch?

I have to disagree on this. You made the right choice on upgrading. I have always reloaded, except one year...... I grabbed a box of corelocks at wally Mart on my way to camp. Never again, I shot a bull at fifty yards broadside hit the first rib and the slug stopped. I was shooting  180gr 30-06 rounds. I got the bull but not after a long chase.
 As for your question I always practice with the rounds I hunt with. Except for that one time............
Hunting hounds since 1993

Offline pcal

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
 The bullet just stopped and the bull walked off without a concern? Really!!!! I have used core-lokt  bullets for over 45 years until they became unavailable for reloading and never had any animal walk anywhere after being hit with a well place shot. I killed a few elk and more than a few mule deer and they all had holes all the way through with that exact same load that magically stopped on your bulls ribs. Bullet:180 grain,30 caliber, gun Remington 700 BDL ,'06, load: 57grains IMR4350. You bought factory loads so maybe you had a bad load but the problem wasn't with the bullet as I have shot deer out to 400 yrds with them and never recovered the bullets as they KO'ed the critter and never stopped til they hit dirt on the other side. If I couldn't reload I wouldn't hesitate to use Remington Core-lokt bullets. They are a real bargain and have been upgraded and constantly tested since they were first issued 75 years ago.A lot of factory loads are costing 3x's as much for guys who never shoot further than 200 yrds but I guess if you want to pay $60 per 20,that is your business.pcal

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:15 PM »
Even the 180 Accu-Tip or Bronze point should make it through the ribs on an elk.  At 50 yards you do tend to have less penetration than you do at further distance, but should still be enough.  About the only thing I've ever heard of stopping the original Core-Lokt's has been very large necks like Moose and the Big bear at close range.

As a guide the Core-Lokt was one of my strongest recommendations for loads out of the 308 and 30-06.  I can not remember a single animals taken with the Core-Lokt that we ever had to track.  Though we did limit hunters to shots under 400 yards.

Maybe you got one of those worthless controlled recoil rounds by accident :dunno:  I know a few fathers that got suckered into that stuff for their young kids.  Ended up being horrible performance on game.  Though in each of those cases it was more of a 30 cal FMJ entrance and exit rather than a bullet stop outside the cavity.

Everyone has their favorite stuff.  Few are absolutely right or wrong in every single situation.  I am a fan of the Nosler loads too.  Other than my 257 Roberts all my guns love the stuff.  Though most of my guns shoot the Core-Lokts, Winchester Blue box and Federal Premium extremely well too!  About the only bullet I truly hate, due to poor experiences, has been light bodied animals with the heavy bullet weight Barnes TSX from slow muzzle velocity guns and the .270 130 grain Partition.  But others on this forum seem to love them so :dunno:

Someone seems to have a horror story with just about every bullet out there, it seems.  Usually a "right bullet/wrong scenario" most of the time.  But failures do happen.  Sounds like Rooster had a bad one for sure!  I'd bet the next 19 rounds in that box would drop that elk in it's tracks.  Good thing there are lots of good alternatives out there...until the next failure >:(

Back to the OP.  As far as practicing is concerned I guess I would have to ask, "What kind of practicing will you be doing?"  If all you are doing is working on fundamentals and recoil awareness I can not see where one brand of ammunition would differ from another.  Although, if you are practicing to work on the best possible scope setting, grouping with your chosen hunting rounds and mapping DOPE?  I'd definitely do all that with the rounds you intend to hunt with.  Be that Nosler, Remington, Winchester or Joe Magillicutty's Magnificent Blood Splatters'.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I have killed close to 100 animals with 130 grain  nosler partition here and in Africa. Several elk and elk size animals such as Kudu. Hit them in the right place and any animal will go down. Hit them in wrong place with a big magnum and you can be in for a long tracking job. I have also used Remington Core-loct ammo when I as young and not reloading. Had good success. No matter what you use, practice and hunt with same ammo.

Offline Don Fischer

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
I've never seen a box of factory ammo worth $40. They make a big play on using premium bullet's but the same stuff that has been killing animals for the past 50 yrs are still killing animals very well!
There's a reason I like dog's more than people

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »
I got into a bad batch of Remington core lokt,  180gr 30-06

one shot had a cloud of crap shoot out the end of the barrel like it was a smoke pole, and less than normal recoil and sound report

another had a delay fire

tossed it all out

Offline Halo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
I've shot a lot of elk with 30-06 180 grain core-lokt's and they always did great if I did my job in placement.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]