collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW seeks comments: 2015-17 hunting season proposals  (Read 21194 times)

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: WDFW seeks comments: 2015-17 hunting season proposals
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/seasonsetting/2015-2017/comments.php

I like the notion in this survey that timber companies must allow free access for bear "damage" permits.  What a no-brainer!  No damage permits if you don't allow state hunters on for free.

I don't think this has any affect on damage permits.  Just spring bear permits for hunters.  I think a lot of hunters are complaining about having to pay for access for seasons established to address damage issues.  It needs a little clarification I think.  I could be wrong.

Spring bear seasons were set up to address timber damage--and they are a good idea.  Free public access to timberland for ALL bear seasons and harvest (spring, fall, damage)  should be a requirement if the timber company still wants to 1) issue or request damage permits 2) feed bears 3) have a spring damage season.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »

16 Archery hunters would prefer to have a general early archery season that is more coincident with the elk breeding season and later in the month of September to better address high temperatures and private forestland fire closures. 
Background Information:

Currently, the general early archery season is 13 days long and opens the Tuesday following Labor Day.

From 2003-2009, it was a 14-day season that occurred September 8th-21st.  Before that it was September 1-14.

Category: Elk
Region(s): StatewideOpening day of early archery season was adjusted in 2009 in response to concerns that the proportion of mature bulls harvested by archery hunters was disproportionately high compared to other user groups.

Having the early archery season occur earlier has had no discernable effect on the proportion of mature bulls harvested by archery hunters.

Alternatives

Alternative #1: Standard season dates of September 8th–20th
 Alternative #2: A 13-day season that opens the first Friday following Labor Day
 Alternative #3: A 13-day season that opens the first Saturday following Labor Day
 Alternative #4: Switching the current opening dates for early archery and early muzzleloader seasons (i.e., archery hunters hunt in October and Muzzleloader hunters hunt in September)
 Alternative #5: No change

The bold statement seem extremely contradicting!  I like how all the survey notes end with a lame excuse before they show the alternatives.  They tell us what we told them we want and they say why we cant have it.  Then they show you the options.

And the fact that they take input from all user groups for when the season should be held.  The public survey results are worthless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
I am VERY disapointed that the WDFW did NOT require the Wild ID number to make comments!  :bash: They have done this in the past, and it is the ONLY way to get a true survey of what ACTUAL hunters want. They may argue that they will get less input, however more input does NOT= better information! make sure and send them a message telling them this!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:13 PM »
I went to the Tacoma meeting last night and got a little clarification on a few of their proposals.

Their idea of giving 50% of the permits to individuals with greater than 10 works by having 2 draws. The first one has everybody's name in the hat and they draw till half of the tags are awarded. After that they would hold a 2nd draw and only applicants with 10 or more points would have their names in the hat. They feel by doing this for moose it would increase the odds of an applicant who has 10 or more points by about 15-20%.

I brought up the idea of allowing hunters to give back permits that they don't want if they draw multiple permits  and give those permits to people who did not draw anything. A couple of the wdfw guys said they really liked the idea and feel it is something that they could make happen for people interested in returning a permit. Any permits that a hunter returns would be accompanied by his points being restored for that category plus one for not drawing.  They said they would take it back to their department and run it by the people who make the decisions to see if it is something that is feasible for the department to handle.

So if this is an option you would like to have. When you fill out your survey put in the comment box that you would like the department to develop a permit give back program and let's see if it helps a few more people get a permit.    :dunno:

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
Great report I'm glad to hear that is what they intend with that proposal.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »
Great report I'm glad to hear that is what they intend with that proposal.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]