collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting Spots Destroyed?  (Read 14834 times)

Offline MuleDeer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
Re: Hunting Spots Destroyed?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »
Maybe some of these crucial deer areas can be re-planted and seeded.

Aren't the areas that are so incinerated the same areas where the underbrush was too thick? Maybe these areas should of been let naturally burned years ago?

That's why the Mule Deer Foundation is working in E. WA now more than ever.  We will be re-seeding and/or planting different plugs to re-establish forage in many crucial areas.  If you ever want to help out, let us know and come out and get some boots on the ground with us!
For the burning, we also bought a prescribed burn trailer for WDFW and their "burn boss".  In areas they have done prescribed burns like the Sinlahekin, when fires do pop up, they burn very fast and don't do much damage.  We are currently looking at purchasing another trailer or two for them, to increase the amount of "preventative prescribed burning", to help avoid some of what has happened in Okanogan, Chelan and Kittitas counties over the last few years.  Stay tuned for what else we are up to in Okanogan this fall and winter in helping the deer get through the winter...we're doing our best to provide options that will convince WDFW to drop the proposed extra deer tags.  Hopefully we'll see positive results after this winter!
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »

Aren't the areas that are so incinerated the same areas where the underbrush was too thick? Maybe these areas should of been let naturally burned years ago?

That's why the Mule Deer Foundation is working in E. WA now more than ever.  We will be re-seeding and/or planting different plugs to re-establish forage in many crucial areas.  If you ever want to help out, let us know and come out and get some boots on the ground with us!
For the burning, we also bought a prescribed burn trailer for WDFW and their "burn boss".  In areas they have done prescribed burns like the Sinlahekin, when fires do pop up, they burn very fast and don't do much damage.  We are currently looking at purchasing another trailer or two for them, to increase the amount of "preventative prescribed burning", to help avoid some of what has happened in Okanogan, Chelan and Kittitas counties over the last few years.  Stay tuned for what else we are up to in Okanogan this fall and winter in helping the deer get through the winter...we're doing our best to provide options that will convince WDFW to drop the proposed extra deer tags.  Hopefully we'll see positive results after this winter!

MuleDeer, glad to hear you guys are on this, sounds like some positive ideas and actions. Ive mentioned in another thread that back in the 40,s 50,s (and 60,s too i think) hunters purchasing a deer tag were given a bag of buckbrush seed to plant while out hunting after fire years and sometimes they gave it out to hunters to just get some new feed growing.  My dad remembers planting lots of seed in the Methow, is this something that could be done to kind of supplement your seeding plans,Its a way to get those xtra "boots on the ground"  :dunno:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:06:53 PM by bigmacc »

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
Awesome idea, and something we can look into.  I know it wouldn't be a problem logistically on private ground, but we'd have to see how the agencies would want to handle it on their lands.  I would guess that if the seed was pretty much "bomb proof" in how to plant it, there wouldn't be a reason to worry.  Still lots unknown right now, but the one thing we know for sure is that there needs to be a LOT of seed and plugs planted in the next few years.  Thanks for the suggestion!
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »
Wow, some great thinking, and a walk down memory lane, as far as deer #'s in the Methow. Between predators, people(aka habitat loss), fire and a whole list of issues, all have an impact! 2% here and 3% there, add to diminishing herd #'s. I'm not totally sure, what the ultimate answer is....   :twocents:

Off soap box..........Just a question, what good does seeding, sterilized soil, do for wildlife? Seed once sprouted, need nutrient, to grow? If the soil is sterilized, then what nutrient is there, for new growth? More than welcomed to be schooled... 

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
The soil isn't really sterilized. Surface microfauna and bacteria etc were killed but all the nutrients are still there. Actually there's more because of the ash. Seeding should be done for soil stabilization and erosion and grass and shrubs are great for that.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
Here's a question: Has anybody heard if the mighty Conservation Northwest has done anything to help in the recovery efforts?? :dunno:

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
Conservation Northwest seems to be more interested in promoting wolves than they are with repairing or enhancing habitat.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »

Sounds like a great opportunity for the Mule Deer Foundation and volunteers to make a positive difference alright :tup:
We'll keep in touch,it would be good to put in some hours,also a good excuse to get over that way more often.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »
Here's a question: Has anybody heard if the mighty Conservation Northwest has done anything to help in the recovery efforts?? :dunno:

Since you asked, I thought I'd call them and ask.  Right now they are working with the Okanogan Conservation District on logistics and an inventory of what has been lost and what needs to be done, much the same as most agencies are doing right now, until they know where everything stands.
We (the Mule Deer Foundation) do know we will be doing a LOT of planting in the near future, and possibly setting up some feeding station networks around the county, but beyond that, we're not sure either about what else may be needed by this fall.
Not supporting them or shooting them down, just reporting the info that I have found out.

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 07:12:04 AM »
I too remember those times, counting 300-400 on a hillside in a few different canyons. Funny how there were more hunters back then too and yet I seldom saw more than a handful total in a weeks worth of hunting the hills.

Some great hunting spots have burned this year, I'm hoping a few more of them are spared.
I cant hardly believe there were more hunters back then as compared to now, It seems these days the woods are crawling with people.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »
I too remember those times, counting 300-400 on a hillside in a few different canyons. Funny how there were more hunters back then too and yet I seldom saw more than a handful total in a weeks worth of hunting the hills.

Some great hunting spots have burned this year, I'm hoping a few more of them are spared.
I cant hardly believe there were more hunters back then as compared to now, It seems these days the woods are crawling with people.

I think that's because there is less land to hunt. Hunters are concentrated into smaller areas :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »

There were far more hunters that were hunting away from their rig back then.  Not saying there were as many hunting from the roads as there is these days though. :twocents:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

I think that's because there is less land to hunt. Hunters are concentrated into smaller areas :twocents:

Actually it's because the season has been condensed down to one week, forcing everyone to take the same time off and swarm the land. We used to be able to hunt a weeks time and see a handful of other hunters in the field during our entire hunt.

It became exponentially worse after 2004, which is where it's been since. It's about time they considered extending the general season, at least to the 25th.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »

Actually it's because the season has been condensed down to one week, forcing everyone to take the same time off and swarm the land. We used to be able to hunt a weeks time and see a handful of other hunters in the field during our entire hunt.

It became exponentially worse after 2004, which is where it's been since. It's about time they considered extending the general season, at least to the 25th.

phool is right about more hunters but not seeing them. Seasons were open over there in the 60,s and 70,s i remember for a solid month sometimes and usually 2 to 3 weeks! The people were spread out(time wise),you had some folks who liked to hunt the first week or two and and were into the "experience" and mostly were going after the local deer,the weather was a little better for camping and they enjoyed there time in the field chasing the local herd around. Then the last couple weeks the hardcore guys would come over and the others would be pulling out in there motorhomes or trailors and heading home,the old switch-a-roo i guess :chuckle:. The last couple weeks usually involved the first week of November(latest i remember was going to the 14th in 1965),I was just a kid then but i remember my dad taking me out on some hunts where it was so cold it was beyond misery. I remember everything in our camp froze solid one year in the 70,s eggs,milk,bread,water,you name it it was 8 below and everything was frozen! Anyway the hunters as a whole were plentiful but were spread out over 3 or 4 weeks and everyone had their favorite weeks and spots so you wernt bumping into people,back then you didnt have anyone trying to cork ya or beat you to your favorite spot either,hunters actually respected each other,there last name and the time,sweat,history and pain it took to learn an area. Any buck was a "good buck" and all this stuff about a bucks "score" was something only the "dandy,s" talked about....Then again thats when the Methow herd was 30-40 thousand strong also and not the 10 thousand it is today sadly.....my opinion and  :twocents:.....Oh and by the way,something has bothered me for awhile,i think a fella by the handle of "doublelung" could of,in a polite way said some people "Think" they see what they "think" are bigger deer than they actually are,or something like that,(refering to the 200 inch buck/400 inch elk thread)I,ll tell ya pardner, YES I have SEEN some big deer that you would love to have the opportunity to shoot in this state and i,m sure youve shot some big deer,and YES I,ve seen some that have been in that "200" range and YES i would bet money on it.  I,m being a little harsh and to the point i,m sure,but you dont know me and you dont know my hunting history or tradition,snide comments basically saying i dont know a big deer when i see it or someone who doesnt know what he,s seeing or doing in the woods while hunting is disrespectfull in my book,P.M me or something but dont call me out that I may be seeing things i dont really see.Been around this "Huntin block" more times than you I,m sure,paid my dues and have put in many years and miles to learn this animal inside and out as well as my ancestors....Sorry to those in power,had to get it off my chest,been bugging me for awhile but had to be said on the forum the way he did to me.....My appoligies.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:33:53 PM by bigmacc »

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »
I'm with you bigmacc, I, like many have read your post's and could feel the passion and knowledge of mule deer you have, and then you backed it up with many pictures of family and stories spanning decades. I have no doubt you know your deer.
Don't let anyone bother you, you unlike some others, have nothing to prove!
  John G.
 "born downtown Twisp in my Grandfathers house 1948"(no hospital,no doctor too much snow to go to hospital in Brewster)      , I know a big deer when I see it too! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]