collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 13yr old shoots elk  (Read 11254 times)

Offline goat berries

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: 13yr old shoots elk *warning graphic*
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:10 AM »
So what did he hit one of the main arteries in the neck?

This. ^ that shot isn't intended to penetrate and connect with vitals. If you look at the anatomy of an elk, they have several large arteries that come down the neck and into the chest cavity, about 4-6" above the visual base of the neck. You slice one of them, and the video shows you what happens, every time. It's a deadly shot if executed, but in the moment I wouldn't attempt it past 20-25 yards.

^ Good post. Thanks for the anatomy lesson! I wonder if all those arteries join into the aorta.
The Shikari is a person with deep intuitive connections to all aspects of the earth; tracking is an ancient doorway to this way of being. -Ingwe

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 05:56:18 AM »
Why is that graphic?

Another up and coming TV star. That was great and not graphic, it's hunting.. :tup:

Well to some it could be graphic...I figured with the blood I should put a warning in the title

No one thinks its graphic ill change the title  :tup:
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: 13yr old shoots elk
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 06:19:27 AM »
The slow motion looked like it was shot with a laser beem.  :chuckle:

Offline wlandrum

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »
Nice vid   :tup:

Offline splashcaster

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »
Wasn't even a good angle for that shot.

:yeah:

I'm no expert but I was thinking the same thing. It almost seems like he missed a quartering towards shot that he should've waited on for a better angle. I'm happy with the outcome, but I think it was a really risky, borderline unethical shot that I wouldn't take or encourage.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »

I'm no expert but I was thinking the same thing. It almost seems like he missed a quartering towards shot that he should've waited on for a better angle. I'm happy with the outcome, but I think it was a really risky, borderline unethical shot that I wouldn't take or encourage.

This was my thought and what prompted me to ask the question.  I was thinking borderline unethical with a lucky result.  Guessing they were thinking the bull was about to bolt.

I am beginning to think video cams in the field are crap.I know a couple of rivers I steelhead fly fish they have completely changed the dynamic of how people fish and the pace the fish through a pool.  It's all about the hero shots and video..  progress I guess.

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
some parents like to film thier kids hunting..... i know growing up we did have a video camera but he sure did take alot of pics!
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:34 AM »
some parents like to film thier kids hunting..... i know growing up we did have a video camera but he sure did take alot of pics!

For me it's not the family filming their kid.  It's the guys with gopro's etc strapped to their heads.  The footage is too important to have consideration for anyone else using the resource. I understand everyone with a Gopro isn't like that but the number of wanna be youtube stars is increasing.

Offline northcoast

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »

This was my thought and what prompted me to ask the question.  I was thinking borderline unethical with a lucky result.  Guessing they were thinking the bull was about to bolt.

I had my 13 yr old watch the video with me.  I told him not to ever take that shot.  It was dumb luck not skill that dropped that elk.

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
I had my 13 yr old watch the video with me.  I told him not to ever take that shot.  It was dumb luck not skill that dropped that elk.
I agree.  I stopped my brother from taking that shot from less than 20 yards a couple of years ago and I'm glad he listened.  It may have turned out well (like it did for this kid) but much more likely would not have.  not worth the risk. :twocents:

Offline elk247

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »

I have to disagree with this. Luck had nothing to do with pulling the trigger on a frontal shot. It was well placed and centered. (A bit high maybe?) I agree with encouraging young hunters to NOT take the shot. But for an experienced hunter with above average kenetic energy and draw weight this shot is so effective I would take it every time under 25 yards. The only thing between the hide and the heart/lungs is the windpipe and some soft neck tissue, maybe the same ribs you shoot through from the side if you shot placement is low.  :bdid: (if you can't hit exactly what your aiming at in this low yardage scenario, then don't take the shot.) Is watching the elk expire immediately, somehow less ethical than some other shot? Remember guys, were hunters. Center mass, right in the chest. That's what every firearms instructor would teach as the most effective way to quickly kill a target. Are bows somehow different? Maybe the fear of this shot has been passed down through generations from our traditional bowhunting forefathers that didn't have the kenetic energy and improved accuracy and fps we take for granted today. Major blood loss √, lungs √, shock √, heart/spleen √

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Like I said if you go about 6" up from where the neck meets his chest cavity and drive it straight into his neck you can see all the arteries in there. Again, ONLY take if it's close range and you're confident in your abilities.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]