collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ultralight gun sling  (Read 12302 times)

Offline dblungshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Ultralight gun sling
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »
Excuse me if this has been discussed.

Curious of the different types of lightweight slings you guys use.  What are your favorite for backpack trips? 

Thanks

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: Ultralight gun sling
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »
This one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2426115793/vero-vellini-air-cushion-sling-neoprene

The neoprene really grips the shoulder when wet, and the stretch reduces the impulse to the shoulder when the rifle is jostled around on rough terrain.  I find they work better than cordura, similar materials, or wider slings that might not complement the backpack shoulder padding regarding the sling falling into a comfortable and stable position. (It does not slip off the should due to inability to rest in a comfortable and stable spot on the shoulder.)

I have no comment on the point in reviews about use with a heavy rifle, except to say that I have no problems with a 7-8 lb rifle/scope/ammo combo.

It's also fairly lightweight and compact to fit in rifle scabbards such as found on Eberlestock packs without having any metallic protrusions that might tend to scratch the rifle/scope in a scabbard.

I have three.

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
I make my own;  simple, lightweight, and I put a loop in them to improve accuracy.

MYOG
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline dblungshot

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »
I make my own;  simple, lightweight, and I put a loop in them to improve accuracy.

MYOG

Any pics? Material?

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Safari-Rifle-Sling/734604.uts

I went to these Safari Slings about 6 years ago and love them.  Raise and shoot with minimal movement and always ready.  Takes a little getting use to with muzzle control so I do not let my kids use one yet as they are not old enough just yet.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »

I went to these Safari Slings about 6 years ago and love them.  Raise and shoot with minimal movement and always ready.  Takes a little getting use to with muzzle control so I do not let my kids use one yet as they are not old enough just yet.
:yeah:
 I have two one on my A-boltII and one on my Knight Bighorn. I like the black one on my A-bolt better than the camo one on my muzzy because the camo doesn't come with the rubber grip strip and will slide off my shoulder.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »

I have two one on my A-boltII and one on my Knight Bighorn. I like the black one on my A-bolt better than the camo one on my muzzy because the camo doesn't come with the rubber grip strip and will slide off my shoulder.

EXACTLY!  I have one of each too and the black is way better with the rubber strips where the camo slides around.  Same deal even down to my camo is on the X-150 muzzy and black is on the 30-378.  I keep saying I am going to try putting a bead of caulking down the camo one.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline grizzlyadams

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
If you're an extreme hardcore ounce counter. Just use dental floss. I don't think you're going to shave enough weight to make it matter unless your using leather. I count ounces but spending a ton of money on something advertised to be the lighter weight sling seems like a waste. Get a comfortable sling and carry one oz. less water. Your hopefully bringing a filter with you anyway.
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »
I put Alex plus caulking on mine a couple of times and would just wear off in a few day of hunting. Maybe putting a bead would work better. I just knifed it on but i will more than likely try something again this year. 

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »

MYOG

Any pics? Material?

Here is one of my prototypes, I am still not happy with a few things (way better for my needs than anything I could find to buy though), so I will continue tweaking. The straps are various types of nylon and still sorting out my hardware.  I have used some acetal, al, and stainless steel.

I haven't done a leather one yet, but it's on the to do list.

You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
 I'm a fan of Safari slings. They've been great for quick shots on busted game. If I would have been using any other sling I probably wouldn't have killed quite a few of the elk I've had in my freezer.

Offline Atypical

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
A couple seasons ago I made a lightweight sling with nylon and p-cord. Mine has overlapped webbing where it touches your shoulder for added grip. I used the p-cord in place of sling swivels -- the swivels are where the weight is at. It worked okay, but the rifle tended to shift back and forth on my shoulder.

Lately, I've been carrying my rifle slingless when I'm in the backcountry. The sling isn't much use for me because I'm usually glassing or stalking. If it's before the season opens, or I'm traveling at night, I put the gun on my pack. Occasionally I wish for the sling when I have to cross an obstacle of some kind, but it's pretty rare.   

Offline 2labs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »
I put Alex plus caulking on mine a couple of times and would just wear off in a few day of hunting. Maybe putting a bead would work better. I just knifed it on but i will more than likely try something again this year.
[/quote

Super down, Alex is a inexpensive latex. Try some Quad. I have work clothes that have had Quad on them for years! Make sure you let it fully cure or you'll have a mess.
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

If you're an extreme hardcore ounce counter. Just use dental floss. I don't think you're going to shave enough weight to make it matter unless your using leather. I count ounces but spending a ton of money on something advertised to be the lighter weight sling seems like a waste. Get a comfortable sling and carry one oz. less water. Your hopefully bringing a filter with you anyway.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered the black one. Looking forward to trying it out.

I love these too. And its what I use also. But if you carry a side arm you will need to switch it to crossdraw or face chewing up the stock on your rifle with the hammer on your pistol.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal